• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff's Max Potential

ludwiganders

Smash Rookie
It is no secret Hungrybox is the best puff player bar none. We all know it's because his consistent rest setups, edge guards and ability to extend combos. But he hasn't pushed puff to puff's max potential. So here is a list of things puff can do that hungrybox doesn't.

Drill-Rest: It's the most optimal move to use after a drill spike. It is super effective against Marth and Falcon. This would call the opponent way earlier than drill-upsmash which is the common move out of drill spike.
With a lot of practice and balls you could drill-rest a space animal, but I think it would be smarter to drill pike - grab - up throw or throw off stage to edge guard. I think that mixup mess with the opponent and no puff is consistantly drill spiking spacies.

Rest OoS (whether it's wavedash or short-hop): Hungrybox actually started doing this, most notably at HTC Throwdown (https://youtu.be/1dJkJblpJHg?t=185) but it still isn't being used consistently. When puff is at 80%+ a lot of foxes start spamming upsmash, in that scenario, this should be used consistently and the only player to do it a lot was MaNg0 back in the day. Usmash isn't the only move though, Sheik d-smash can be rested too. Sheik has to be facing you for you to be able to wavedash rest. The only person doing that is S0ft. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuE-cIkr800)
There are a ton of other moves that can be rested too (Samus F-Smash, Marth Smash attacks etc.)

Fast Faller Platform Tech Chase: When u-throwing a fast faller at low percent, they usually will DI. Somethings puffs will float under looking for an uair, or they will hover above the platform looking for a bair. But I believe the/ optimal thing to do is float to the platform then react grab. If they di off stage you can edge guard, if they dont di you can rest if the di to the right you can do another reaction grab. After that they might escape with good DI but this gives you two more chances to kill as well as good percent + stage control.

Any more ideas you guys got?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Hbox doesn't drill rest because I think he doesn't feel comfortable being able to do it every time (below 50% I think, fox has no visual cue for whether it will work). He'll usually go for grab or Usmash. He does this more against floaties, because the payoff is higher and fox can just Upsmash if it gets read. I think Tekk goes for a lot of drill rests, but I haven't watched him play very much.

Hungrybox is insanely good at killing fastfallers on platforms. I don't think grab is as good of an option as a solid rest.

Top Bottom