• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff vs. Ice Climbers Discussion

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
This matchup is tricky. What is the optimal way to play neutral? I've based most of my strategy off of Hungrybox's performance in his set against Chu at Apex 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-XTSiohXZU

He almost exlusively fullhops his aerials; this makes sense, since it puts Puff over the height of potential grabs or dsmashes. He also generally does a bair at the apex of his jump and one coming down to cover himself.

These tactics generally work, but I recently played a good ICs in bracket and he WD jab>grabbed me out of my landings far too many times for my liking. How do you guys mix up your aerial movement so you can land safely? Are there any other methods you have for playing neutral in a way that minimizes the risk of getting grabbed?

42nd

Smash Cadet
well firstly, it depends on stage imo. For stages with a top platform, if u have a percent lead, there is no reason to approach ICs. I think wobbling is lame, so if you're worried about being super lame, DONT BE. ICs have terrible vertical mobility. so just land on the platforms and force them to come to you. If you must land on the ground be like 1 and a half wavedash lengths away and dont even bother attacking ICs just jump again and take to the skies.

Top Bottom