• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff video critiques

SlyDog

Smash Cadet
I think you did okay with your b-air spacing. In my opinion, you need to improve a little bit on your "wall of pain"s. Try not to rely too much on side-b to recover. You do fine with it but sometimes it's better to just go for an air-dodge recovery. You just need to see when it'll be most effective. With Falco and Fox, try to follow the opponents DI for an easy up-throw -> rest. My final critique is: if you have a stock and low percentage attempt to punish a Fox/Falco side-b onto stage with a rest. It'll take a bit to get the timing down but it's definitely not impossible. You don't have to listen to this if you don't want to, I just figured I'd give advice based on how I prefer to play (however I do hope this helped).

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
thanks man! yeah my recoveries were awful, i would just get inpatient and he'd backair me (like everytime lmao). What do you mean by follow their di for up throw? follow di from what? again thanks for watching and critiquing!

Last edited:

SlyDog

Smash Cadet
thanks man! yeah my recoveries were awful, i would just get inpatient and he'd backair me (like everytime lmao). What do you mean by follow their di for up throw? follow di from what? again thanks for watching and critiquing!
When you up-throw your opponent, they might DI in a way that makes it so that you can't immediately rest them. From what I know, DI-ing up gets you away from puff after an up-throw. If you see that they are going towards the left follow them and get an easy rest off. Same thing if you see them going a different way. From my experience, they'll be able to DI but will still be in a bit of hit-stun. And, no problem. I love to help :)

Pafslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pafsafasafs
Brawl player turned Melee. This was my third melee tournament so please be kind. And I only made it to pro bracket because all our good players have gone to BAM.

And yeah, I know I should be resting more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736JFFA0OZw

https://youtu.be/oUC5u7DB07M?t=152

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0R-KeVOdA
As you said yourself, you should be resting more. I watched the first, second, and part of the third one, and I did see plenty of oppurtunities you could have taken.
Otherwise, I noticed you get punished a lot for using Pound both as a recovery option and an attack. You might want to look into using Pound more sparingly. If you're close to it, grabbing the ledge is an infinitely better option than pounding onto stage.
You might also want to work on your positioning. A lot of your deaths looked like it just came from you being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
And if I am to nitpick even more, you could be more ballsy with your edgeguards. Puff is Puff, and can afford to fly far off stage to wreck some serious business.

Last edited:

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
As you said yourself, you should be resting more. I watched the first, second, and part of the third one, and I did see plenty of oppurtunities you could have taken.
Otherwise, I noticed you get punished a lot for using Pound both as a recovery option and an attack. You might want to look into using Pound more sparingly. If you're close to it, grabbing the ledge is an infinitely better option than pounding onto stage.
You might also want to work on your positioning. A lot of your deaths looked like it just came from you being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
And if I am to nitpick even more, you could be more ballsy with your edgeguards. Puff is Puff, and can afford to fly far off stage to wreck some serious business.

No problems, thank you. will work on it.

J :D

Smash Rookie
I'm only 11 months old in the Melee scene. I'm a Puff from Tallahassee, Florida, and I traveled to Tampa to go to a tournament a couple of weeks ago. The bracket was pretty crazy and had a lot of top players, and I found myself against an Ice Climbers; a matchup that I don't really get to play, so I did something that everyone got mad at me for. I felt really bad, and I wanted to know what any of you think about doing this. I'm talking about Game 2 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLvlT_sot-Q I'm "It's a Wonderful World" Also, with regards to gameplay, I've completely changed the way I move around neutral since this tournament, so while I'd ask for tips, they won't really apply now

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
I've completely changed the way I move around neutral since this tournament, so while I'd ask for tips, they won't really apply now
I think your biggest problem isn't your movement but rather the fact that your not yoshi...

Top Bottom