• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff 's spacing, fair or bair?

donyavierre

Smash Rookie
For me, seems like bair's hitbox it's a little bit bigger that the fair one (I actually don't know which one gets further). If you connect a bair, the reward is bigger, since it makes 13% damage and fair just makes 9% (6% if sourspotted); it also has stronger knockback, which sometimes can get your opponent out of the platform and give you stage control.

For other hand, fair comes faster, its hitbox lasts for more time, and the "fade in and out" seems to be better. Even you can start a wall of pain if you have the chance.

So that's it, which one do you use more often to keep away your opponent?
Or better said... in which situation should you use one or another?

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I usually save Bair for kill percentages when the opponent is conditioned enough to expect Fair and dodge. It's good against characters with disjoints, but for close quarter fights, I resort to Nair and Fair to keep the opponent away since they don't have as bad of a disjoint.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Fair extends to 13.5 units. Bair's sourspot extends to 16 units, and the sweetspot extends to 12.5 units but won't hit until the sourspot ends at 8 units.

It being harder to perfectly space and weave bairs than fairs is just a subtle consequence of momentum. You can't run backwards, and you can't land from a weave and immediately RAR so you're restricted by aerial acceleration.

I_am_SK

Smash Rookie
Definitely fair. It has some combo potential, and can fade in and out. Bair is better for kills and mixups imo.

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
Fair > Bair for spacing. Although nair is better than both to me due to the lasting hitbox. Bair is a good kill move and a good combo starter to me because of the knockback at early percentage gets them off the ground and keeps them from shielding a follow up nair or fair. Fair and nair are a lot safer on shield than bair is but not by much. It usually depends where the opponent is at when it comes to spacing for either one.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Fair is much better for comboing and spacing, bair is the best kill move. Although remember when you fair an opponent DO NOT LAND RIGHT NEXT TO THEM!!! Sorry, wanted to point that out. Also Nair is probably another great option, it's good when you are closer to the opponent than you'd like, it lasts a long time, surrounds Puff's body, and has GREAT priority! The point I made about not landing close to the opponent still applies though, when you get a hit you wanna get out of there and prepare for another attack.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Best reason why you should not use bair nearly as much as fair for spacing is because you don't want the move to stale and have a harder time killing when the time comes.

I_am_SK

Smash Rookie
Best reason why you should not use bair nearly as much as fair for spacing is because you don't want the move to stale and have a harder time killing when the time comes.
This.

:4jigglypuff: has trouble killing as it is. No reason to make it harder. Besides bair, there aren't many good kill options against characters like :4sheik: or :4pikachu:.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu dies around 100~110% to utilt if needed and strong hit nair is pretty good since it interrupts Quick Attack. There's also dash attack, but against Pikachu it's going to be stale due to how useful it is to get in on him.

donyavierre

Smash Rookie
Also Nair is probably another great option, it's good when you are closer to the opponent than you'd like, it lasts a long time, surrounds Puff's body, and has GREAT priority! The point I made about not landing close to the opponent still applies though, when you get a hit you wanna get out of there and prepare for another attack.
I am not sure, i have always considered nair a defensive option, but much more effective in a air game, because if your opponent is on the ground (or close to a platform and land on it), he can shield your nair, leaving you in a pretty awkward situation (even worse if power shielded).

if needed and strong hit nair is pretty good since it interrupts Quick Attack.
I agree, Pikachu don't have too much reach, which is compensated by his great speed, a nair would be perfect to counter fast moves like Quich Attack. If you are not sure about which one will be his next move, fair is the best option IMO

Characters like Pikachu can be really flashy in the right hands, so i don't think that a bair would be a thing because of it startup lag (at least you get a good read).

Top Bottom