• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff matchup help

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Alright so I've only played for a few months but my tech skill is pretty solid, I don't miss l cancels outside of the occasional dair since well... That's a weird one. With that said, Sheik and Fox are wrecking the hell out of me, I mean I can play against the best Marth player (not including PPMD) in our state and get him down to one stock because I know the matchup so well.

Against Fox how do I win the neutral? I can do well vs a lot of Fox's till I hit around the top 20 players in my state where they just win the neutral against me and I'm helpless.

Sheik... I know there are hard rest punishes but this matchup is so confusing. If someone could give a general rundown on this matchup it would be great. I don't have a Wii (20XX) currently so practicing vs even a cpu Sheik isn't possible.

Krisspear

Smash Rookie
  1. I don't like the expression of "spacing bairs", but generally this is a realy good idea against most characters.
  2. General: Space in and out of their range and bait out an attack and punnish it with bair. Since you have better airmobility, getting them into the air can often be prefered. They can double jump once, but it leaves them very vurnable for attacks which you should capitalize on.
  3. Dash attacks: You can crouchcancle (CC) their dashattacks at lower percentages and punnish with rest. Puffs dashattack has good knockback at higher percentages so keep this in mind as a viable kill option.
  4. Fox: All of puff's throws can be leathal against him (up and down can lead to rest or combos; backthrow of stage gives you an easy edgeguard, fthrow has good knockbask at higher percentages but it can be SDIed). Shield-grab his aerials. Don't get too grab-hungy though (thats what i do *sigh*), you can get hard punnished. If he dashdances alot you can punnish that with bair. If you get grabbed, DI behind him so his upthrow->upair gets harder for him.
  5. Sheik: Crouching beats shiek. There isnt much she can do while you crouch. You can crouch under her grab and sometimes dashgrab if she spaces it poorly and immidiatly rest her. Her recovery is really predictable. Grab the ledge and force her to land on the stage. Punnish the landing with rest or grab->backtrow to reset the edgeguarding situation.

aDavid4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-1358-2819
I kinda struggle with Sheik as well. My buddy camps the top platform hard with needles, and combos the poop out of me. For any character, how do you beat camping?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Screw Fox, screw Marth, screw anything, Sheik is the true hard counter to Puff.

aDavid4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-1358-2819
Her bair is really disjointed (and thats coming from a Puff player,) and her grabs lead to hard follow ups. Also, needles.

Massive

Smash Champion
Fox: ...Shield-grab his aerials.
Wat. You basically can't if the fox knows what he's doing.

Against Fox how do I win the neutral? I can do well vs a lot of Fox's till I hit around the top 20 players in my state where they just win the neutral against me and I'm helpless.
I don't think anyone knows of a surefire way to beat Fox in neutral, there are a few things that have worked in the past, but even Hbox loses this matchup frequently.

That being said, here are some things to note that may increase your odds of winning, whether or not they're universal is up to debate.

Do not land in lag. Fox can punish you out of any laggy aerial. This means either landing with an autocancelled nair or no aerial at all most of the time.

DI throws and their followups correctly. Fox will almost always go for uthrow in this match. DIing behind him makes it harder for him to follow up and allows you to SDI uair (hbox uses up SDI, which works very well) more easily.

Be aware of a low % Fox in neutral. This sounds simple but throws a LOT of people off. At low % Fox can crouch cancel usmash/punish basically every approach puff has. If a Fox is at low %, do not try to land on or around him with anything, you will not win the trade.

Your % has an effect on Fox's behavior. Edge cases aside, when you are at killable %, Fox players will be more inclined to use instant KO moves like usmash to end your stock. This makes them more predictable. At higher % you can actually bait usmashes out of fox and punish more easily than normal as they can't kill you as easily or effectively out of grab or aerials any longer, it may take some practice to understand when usmash is approachable but it's a good time investment.

Get better at recovery gimps and punishes. Fox has one of the best recoveries in the game, but it is still vulnerable at certain points. Almost every KO you get on fox will be a recovery gimp. It is in fox's best interest to recover high since he has the most options in that direction. Intercepting with bair is most likely to kill, but fair is easier to execute. Practice wall of pain and throwing out spaced aerials ASAP so you don't trade with firefox's flames.

Rest is a very dangerous proposition in this match. The only time it is safe to attempt is when you are up a stock or at very low %. Resetting the match is not any good, since fox has the advantage at neutral.

Do not get stuck in shield. Run up > Shield is a low-to-intermediate level tactic you should not be using on fox, his shield pressure is too good.

Do not try to cross up fox's shield or land next to his shield. Fox can always hit you with shine if you're close or even if you cross up his shield. Fox can also u smash out of shield very easily. Nothing puff has is safe on shield if you land next to fox.

A lot of these can be applied to falco too, actually, but he is slower and far easier to gimp so the matchup feels less painful.

Sheik... I know there are hard rest punishes but this matchup is so confusing. If someone could give a general rundown on this matchup it would be great. I don't have a Wii (20XX) currently so practicing vs even a cpu Sheik isn't possible.
I'll just post a knowledge dump since I'm pretty good at this matchup and there really isn't any order to this information.

The easiest rest punishes against Sheik are (in no particular order):
  • crouch-cancel sheik's dash attack > rest
  • duck sheik's JC/standing grab > rest
  • duck sheik's ftilt > rest
  • sheik recovery landing lag > rest
  • CC/shield sheik fsmash > rest
The main thing to focus on with the Sheik matchup is to stay directly below her as much as possible.
Sheik has no good way to punish a puff below her and will be restricted to dair or nair to do anything about it, both of which will lose to uair or usmash. Wavedash OoS or in general towards her to force her into a situation where it's hard to approach or follow up.

Sheik's recovery is laggy, and you can almost always a get a rest or at the very least a free grab out of her landing on the stage.

This is kind of a general, but important against sheik due to explosions. When you're exploiting ledge-getup to prevent sheik from ledge-grabbing, use stand instead of roll-on. Puff's roll-on has fewer invincibility frames than just standing back up onto stage, and is a worse choice overall.

Sheik will almost always opt for dthrow, and it's generally better to DI forward and eat the fair than DI back and possibly get uair'd or usmash'd.

Sheik gets wrecked by nair on her shield because she can't grab you out of it if timed correctly. Crossing up her shield is usually met with nair OoS, and is not always a good idea. If you are going to cross up sheik, use dair since she can't punish it.

Recover high against Sheik, her best ledgeguards are all at ledge level or below.

Bthrow and Dthrow are the best throws against Sheik.
Either can lead to a ledgeguard and both force her into a specific direction. If the sheik DI's back from dthrow it's a free rest at low-mid %.

Until a moderately high level of play, most sheiks will follow a fixed trajectory to recover with up-b. You can exploit this and easily gimp her.

Last edited:

squible2

Smash Cadet
If sheik down-smashes shield, depending on how many hits you take you can wave dash oos rest. If you are at low percent, you can also cc down-smash into wavedash rest.

Legendre

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info. At high percents against a fox, I always seem to get caught by their upsmashes. Any tips on avoiding these and punishing randomly thrown out usmashes?

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info. At high percents against a fox, I always seem to get caught by their upsmashes. Any tips on avoiding these and punishing randomly thrown out usmashes?
Try not to be above them, keep your bairs spaced well and don't jump too high. Try to predict when they're coming in for an upsmash, when they do shield and rest out of it. Basically just play campy and try to bait an upsmash instead of letting them throw out a random one. If you can predict, you can punish pretty hard. When Jiggs is at higher percents, Foxes get pretty upsmash/upair happy, so it gets easier to bait it.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
For going against fox neutral, when a fox is playing the matchup correctly (correctly in my opinion -> runaway free laser damage then a safe hit -> runaway again), you have to push them to the edge of the stage, then read how they will try to get around you. You can go for the bair spacing to push them, but when it comes to keeping them from running past you to the other side, it might be better to face forward in the air and use nair/dair/uair (fair too at higher percents, to knock offstage). Once they are in the corner aka edge of the stage, mo you want to float at a height where your dair will stop them if they just try to run past you, then you react or read (reacting might be better usually, but fox can be too fast to react to) if they try to jump over you. do NOT just go in with one attack trajectory. It is too easy for fox to go the other way and get more damage on you after running away. You have to keep your fox on the edge once you get him there, and attack when he makes a break for it.

For aggressive fox, it can also be hard, but you can usually space bair/nair and wavedash around to punish their approaches. IF THEY SPAM NAIR when you are at low percent, PLEASE crouch cancel grab. input: down -> L or R (hold) -> A.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What? You can actually crouch cancel some of the crap Foxes spam? I'll have to try that the next time I play.

Top Bottom