• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff Dair Question

BairSSBM

Smash Rookie
I realize one of the things that makes Hbox so good is his use of dair and his ability to consistently l-cancel it. How does one get that little flip/tumble animation when hitting somebody with puff's dair? Hbox uses it a lot to get a grab off of a dair, I'm just not sure hot to get the tumble part. Thanks!

Crip

Smash Rookie
I think it's been explained somewhere, I think you just need to hit their feet with the last hit of dair to get the mini flip. As for l-cancelling it, it feels like you have to do it a bit later than most aerials, because you have to wait until the full drill is done before you l-cancel it.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
I think it's been explained somewhere, I think you just need to hit their feet with the last hit of dair to get the mini flip. As for l-cancelling it, it feels like you have to do it a bit later than most aerials, because you have to wait until the full drill is done before you l-cancel it.
You don't have to hit with the last hitbox of dair, any hitbox will do.

TheKenoshaKid

Smash Rookie
So how does the grab after dair work?

Does it work anytime?
All that you have to do is make sure you hit the L-cancel (which can take some practice) and you should be able to grab them during the flip animation. If you don't get the flip the grab is not guaranteed.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
The timing for the grab afterwards is pretty much the same as when you grab/regrab someone who is in the air with hitstun. If you want to practice the timing, I guess what I would do is play as marth against a cpu/training fox (or any fastfaller) and take them to fd. Once you're there, just do a ton of up-throw chaingrabs. Pay attention to the timing for when you grab fox out of the air and use that as Jiggs. Just remember that their grabs have different frame data (duh) so the timing isn't exact. Or if you want to do it the not idiot way that I literally just thought of, you can try chaingrabbing as puff against an opponeny with bad di (figure that one out on your own) and find your own timing for grabbing them at the right height.

Lastly, you could forget about the immediate grab and go for a jab reset into grab. Your choice m8, practice makes perfect.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I realize one of the things that makes Hbox so good is his use of dair and his ability to consistently l-cancel it. How does one get that little flip/tumble animation when hitting somebody with puff's dair? Hbox uses it a lot to get a grab off of a dair, I'm just not sure hot to get the tumble part. Thanks!
P Pip_Puff TheKenoshaKid TheKenoshaKid

Don't concentrate on the flip animaition (or any animation for that matter) which you cause with the dair, instead look at the % at which you try to go for the grab. Hitstun is a function of knockback, and the hitstun animation doesn't have any effect on the length of the stun.
The stun animation is only relevant for drill rest sometimes, since the flip animation makes the victim fall on top of you and makes landing the tiny rest hitbox easier, but grab or most other moves don't have that problem anyway.

Drill grab starts (barely) working at 59%(NTSC after hit) on fox, 64% on marth, 65% on peach, 70% on captain falcon. To get the drill grab at these percentages, your execution has to be very tight. Also if the opponent di's behind you and you have to turn, % has to be higher, since turning takes 1 frame at least. Drill turn grab starts working at 67% vs fox for example.

TheKenoshaKid

Smash Rookie
P Pip_Puff TheKenoshaKid TheKenoshaKid

Don't concentrate on the flip animaition (or any animation for that matter) which you cause with the dair, instead look at the % at which you try to go for the grab. Hitstun is a function of knockback, and the hitstun animation doesn't have any effect on the length of the stun.
The stun animation is only relevant for drill rest sometimes, since the flip animation makes the victim fall on top of you and makes landing the tiny rest hitbox easier, but grab or most other moves don't have that problem anyway.

Drill grab starts (barely) working at 59%(NTSC after hit) on fox, 64% on marth, 65% on peach, 70% on captain falcon. To get the drill grab at these percentages, your execution has to be very tight. Also if the opponent di's behind you and you have to turn, % has to be higher, since turning takes 1 frame at least. Drill turn grab starts working at 67% vs fox for example.
Thanks for the correction on that, I guess I didn't really understand how it works.

Top Bottom