• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Psychological combat

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Is there any merit to taunting a lot to irritate people into doing stupid things. I knew a lot of Dogs game is mental and conditioning, and his laugh is legendary, but im wondering if constantly taunting to get a rise out of your opponent is useful. Or is it assumed opponents at high levels will be far too composed?

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to taunt more.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
It's literally impossible for this to work against each and every opponent. It's depends on what type of person your opponent is. Some people will get riled up by this. Other people simply won't care if you taunt.

You also have to realize that some people play better when they're angry or flustered while others play worse. I personally play worse, but my brother is WAY better at punishing things when he's flustered.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Disheartening your opponent is definitely a good trick, taunting works to do this, as well as dash dancing and crouch spam, dash dancing intimidates opponents as many won't be sure of what you're doing so will stay cautious, especially if mixed with keeping a can nearby. On the topic of psychological combat, DHD is extremely good against opponents that get flustered easily, since you can get them in to the mindset of "no matter what I do, I'll get hit by a projectile", eventually they'll find a way, but in a 2 stock game, everything counts.

But as Joey said, without knowing your opponent, you don't know what reaction you'll get, but you can use it so see what type of opponent they are.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm afraid to experiment online for fear of being labeled a jerk.

Also, can you trick shot while taunting? I'm at work so I can't test.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm afraid to experiment online for fear of being labeled a jerk.

Also, can you trick shot while taunting? I'm at work so I can't test.
Don't care about how you're labeled. If you care, just realize you'll be labeled as a tool who uses a projectile spamming character regardless of if you taunt or not.

Wifi is weird with this stuff. It generally gets people more riled up because they can't see your face (meaning they will probably take it more to heart), but sometimes it simply isn't worth it (ESPECIALLY if you're playing on a ladder site. You don't want to deal with pointless disputes just because your opponent got flustered).

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I laugh-taunt behind the Sheriff when he nails his shot from time to time. Usually they just begin taunting back. Yet to see any noticeable salt.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I laugh-taunt behind the Sheriff when he nails his shot from time to time. Usually they just begin taunting back. Yet to see any noticeable salt.
Just taunted someone between cans after three straight successful edge guards. Dunno if it helped me win against the player bit I ended up going on a streak late in the set.

Will work on perfecting trolling for my game.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I dabbled in the taunting arts from time to time myself. It's net me a few wins here and there from rage quits. Kind of comical in some cases. Like others have said it is inconsistent. The best way to know to do it is to note their behaviors mid fight and make it as agonizing as possible on what makes them tick about this guy. It isn't as obvious online but paying attention to how they start playing towards the later stages of a fight can reveal if your are getting to them or not. If they start playing better stop immediately or you could spell your own doom.

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I always, ALWAYS taunt when I get a kill. idk I feel like Duck Hunt is a troll enough that it makes the opponent get even more pissed off, and in no way do I do it to disrespect the opponent, I respect all my opponents. I do it cause it helps the mind games. I never taunt while the opponent is alive cause it leaves you wide open. Does anyone know if you can taunt while controlling the can? Cause if so the can can protect you while taunting haha that would be fun to try out

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Nah, you gotta taunt on alive stocks to really irritate. Everyone taunts on a done stock. We gotta taunt like Dan from Street Fighter

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I always, ALWAYS taunt when I get a kill. idk I feel like Duck Hunt is a troll enough that it makes the opponent get even more pissed off, and in no way do I do it to disrespect the opponent, I respect all my opponents. I do it cause it helps the mind games.
The Light side of the troll is weak. Surrender yourself to the dark side of the troll. It is your destiny.

Ogono

Smash Rookie
I feel like if I don't taunt with any character, I am not embodying the character, I am not being one with the character. Its like Gundam. I'm the pilot and the characters are my Gundam hehehe kek

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
It's really gimmicky, but in my experience playing as Duck Hunt I've taunted as "bait" then shoot the can during his taunt to catch them off guard. It's a hilarious mindgame, at the very least.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
It's really gimmicky, but in my experience playing as Duck Hunt I've taunted as "bait" then shoot the can during his taunt to catch them off guard. It's a hilarious mindgame, at the very least.
Thats actually a really good idea especially if your against some one who dosnt know when you can shoot the can (you know... always)

Top Bottom