• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pseudo-ken combos? *not true combos*

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
Hey guys, I'm new to smashboards and I thought I might as well post something a bit interesting i found a while back concerning Marth and his up air. I managed to find four different combo strings that ended with a down air spike at very low pecents. Someone else out there might have found one or two of these before, but i haven't seen that, so here goes.

Strings marked with this ( • ) only work when at the very edge of the stage. This also means that characters with wall jumps can make it back if the stage has long walls.

Strings marked with this ( * ) are the most reliable, since the opponent can only act out of the combo when the down air phase is active, so predicting an airdodge/double jump may guarantee the kill.

Note: These strings are in no way true combos and have yet to be tested with rage or DI (which most likely can break the string). I'm calling them Pseudo-Ken combos for lack of a better name, since they don't all really follow the Ken combo sequence. If anyone versed in smash labbing sees potential in this, I would be glad to know their opinion/results. They all start with an Un-Tippered falling Up Air. These all work from about 4 to 5 character lengths from the ledge, but do bear in mind that generally, the lower the percent, the closer to ledge you want to be. These were tested on Captain Falcon, so I will list percentages accordingly, and just in case anyone wants to know, they were all tested on Omega Stages in the 1.1.6. patch for the 3DS. Without further ado, here they are in order of (what i found to be) most reliable:

1. Falling Up Air > FH Down Air *
10%-60%
Notes: The fourth string I found, discovered during labbing for this thread. It was originally placed #2 until i kept testing and found that, unlike the other strings that have a 10%-20% range, there was a full 50% window where this string is possible. Although it starts to connect at 10%, It is advised to use it from 15% onwards, as Falcon was able to recover from 10%.
Work in progress
2. Falling Up Air > SH Un-Tippered Forward Air > Down Air *
5%-15%
Notes: The first string I found. the easiest to land in terms of difficulty, although it shares the smallest percent range of 10% with string #3. It is possible to connect a Down Air after the 15% mark if you FH the Forward Air, but percentage testing is still needed.
Work in progress
3. Falling Up Air > Un-Tippered Forward Air > Tippered Dancing Blade (1) > Double-Jump Down Air
30%-40%
Notes: The second string I found. Deals the highest amount of damage among the four and shares the smallest percent range with #2. Although tougher to pull than #1 and #2, if the Down Air does not connect and/or spike, leaves the opponent at a very bad spot that is easy to edgeguard. possible without Tippered Dancing Blade, but highly advised.
Work in progress
4. Falling Up Air > Tippered Dancing Blade B (1) > Down Air
15%-35%
Notes: The third string i found. Extremely finicky, has very specific timing and spacing in order to work. Although it has a bigger percent range than #2 and #3, its difficulty leaves it on spot #4. Not recommended, attempt methods #3 or #1.
Work in progress

Once again, these are not true combos. Several work at mildly specific percentages, and are pretty situational. The only way I have managed to land ONE of these (Number 2) on a non-AI, non-FG opponent was after an early-stock shieldbreak. The percentage range for some of these are also within Full Charged Tippered Fsmash kill-percentages, so the only use these might have would be for extreme styling. These probably work with Lucina given some tweaks to percentages, but i have yet to test them with her. (There is still some stuff I want to look more into, like at what percents to SH and FH for on combos 3 & 4, and clarify my results and opinions of each string, but its currently 3:00 AM at the time of posting, so i'll do that tomorrow. My b.)

I'm eager to see what you guys think of this, even if it's as unviable as I think it is :D

-Horse

Last edited:

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
On a sidenote, any criticism towards the thread itself and what I did well/ what I did wrong with this thread are widely appreciated. I hope to get very involved in the smashboards community, and would love to know what I should do from you guys :3

Puff-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
iiFoxx_Puffii
They might be useful sometimes,but I recommend that you shouldn't use it too much. But other than that thanks for the cool discovery.

Top Bottom