• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: Stop acting like Charizard's lack of "combos" matters at all.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Whenever Charizard grabs an opponent, he can knock them off the stage with either a Fthrow or a Bthrow, before edgeguarding them with Flamethrower. Charizard's Fthrow and Bthrow both deal 10% damage, while a Flamethrower edgeguard usually deals an average of 8% damage, meaning Fthrow/Bthrow to Flamethrower edgeguard deals about 18% on average, and that's not even counting pummels. Fthrow/Bthrow to Flamethrower edgeguard, while not a "combo" in a traditional sense, is quite guaranteed if done properly, and deals more damage than most characters' throw to aerial combo. And unlike most characters' throw to aerial combo, Charizard's Fthrow/Bthrow to Flamethrower edgeguard doesn't stop working at certain %s. For example, I play both Charizard and Captain Falcon, and find Charizard's Fthrow/Bthrow to Flamethrower edgeguard to be a far more reliable way of building damage than Captain Falcon's Dthrow to Uair "combo".

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
there's no fun to this combo id use it only in tournament matches and against annoying players.

in 4glory against player who plays good it would be just so disrespectful and cheap

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Charizard isn't a combo centric character.

That's fine.

He doesn't have to be to get his job done.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I dunno, lucky Rock Smash pebble to up b/forward air/up air/back air is pretty sweet and super comboish and it totally matters when it happens cause it makes you look like a badass cause you just comboed in the jankiest way possible.

Don't get me started on repeated up tilts. Hella combo.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Let's not forget his great juggle game, which while it isn't guaranteed, still has a similar effect to comboing.
in 4glory against player who plays good it would be just so disrespectful and cheap
charizard OP pls nerf samurai

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Charizard isn't a combo centric character.

That's fine.

He doesn't have to be to get his job done.
That said, if the enemy DI's poorly or messes up he can take someone from 0% to 60% or even 0-death them in seconds :006:

My favorite thing to do is to do is to do Bthrow > Fair, then fastfall, run up to them and shield. If they attack or airdodge I can regrab them, then Bthrow > Fair > Followup, and I try to read their landing or edgeguard them from there.

Last edited:

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Zard's strings are really good though if you opponent messes up. A string i often get is Nair > Grab > Downthrow > Fair > Dtilt > tech chase with flare blitz or flamethrower. Just a stupid of damage, like 34 + whatever you get from the tech chase. Feels like a combo to me. Flamethrower follow ups are usually pretty effective in general I find, especially when you full hop or even double jump while they're still in the air and you just come down on them with the flamethrower.

Top Bottom