• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: Get off the stage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
So something that I've noticed not just Palutena players doing but a LOT of players, is that when they've sent an opponent flying off the stage, they stay on the ground and wait. That's a good tactic sometimes; Palutena's tilts and U-smash are good options for punishing a neutral get-up or jump, but it can be way more effective to go off-stage and challenge them in the air. Palutena's got great aerials; every single one of them has great strengths, and she can threaten ....pretty much the entire cast with them, especially offstage vs characters who fall quicker than her or don't have great recoveries.

N-air is probably her bread and butter edgeguarding tool, since it catches a lot of options and you can drag the opponent downwards. If you didn't know (and I think every Palutena should learn this:) it can "spike" if you hit an opponent from above. It can also stage spike if you move yourself away from the stage as the move is hitting them. It also straight up just kills them at higher percents. The move lasts a while, so it's easy to scoop up people out of an airdodge, or hit them out of their recovery move.

I wanna take the opportunity to mention that Fox is an opponent where you NEED to jump off and edgeguard. I used to think Fox was THE single hardest matchup for Palutena, and for the most part he still is one of the most difficult - he completely dominates us on the ground and we have to play as patiently and predictive as possible. But try thinking of Fox like Little Mac; once he's in the air, that's our chance. N-air snuffs out both of Fox's recovery options. All you have to do is line yourself up with Fox when he's about to Side-B, and just send out a n-air. It works every single time unless you miss, but with practice it's not very hard to get it right. His Up-B is also pretty easy to spike, which leads me to...

D-air needs mentioned here. Everyone already knows F-air and B-air and U-air are great, but nobody talks about D-air. It comes out very fast, and the hitbox always spikes. ..Yes, I know its hitbox is like 1 or 2 frames, but that's probably to balance the aforementioned very fast spike. Practice this move. A LOT. Practice it on offstage opponents every match. It's seriously an underrated move. Palutena is usually regarded as a character who has a hard time killing, but everyone forgets she can kill very early once she gets someone off stage. Here's a couple of videos of a Japanese player who's particularly good with the d-air: https://youtu.be/ky_irLCtVIE https://youtu.be/EVz7xu4EExs

so yeah that's all i have to say. palutena has great aerials which can be used to great effect off-stage and it's a good idea to get out there a lot and use em. Especially d-air.

Last edited:

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Nice PSA!
I agree that Pals spike goes underused by a lot of players, myself included. You've inspired me to practice it incessantly! Another edge-guarding option worth mentioning is the Ledge-Trump into BAir. I've recently started incorporating it into my edge-guarding game and it's been a really nice option to have considering how BAir has invincibility frames and KO potential. Also Ledge-Warping into a falling NAir or BAir can make both of those edge-guarding options much more difficult to defend against.

EDIT: Wow I just watched those videos and I was laughing out loud at how easy they made those spikes look. Definitely worth mastering. Also what is the sliding jab tech they were doing in the first video?

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Nice PSA!
I agree that Pals spike goes underused by a lot of players, myself included. You've inspired me to practice it incessantly! Another edge-guarding option worth mentioning is the Ledge-Trump into BAir. I've recently started incorporating it into my edge-guarding game and it's been a really nice option to have considering how BAir has invincibility frames and KO potential. Also Ledge-Warping into a falling NAir or BAir can make both of those edge-guarding options much more difficult to defend against.

EDIT: Wow I just watched those videos and I was laughing out loud at how easy they made those spikes look. Definitely worth mastering. Also what is the sliding jab tech they were doing in the first video?
Yeah, ledge-trump b-air is a great tactic that palutena players should use! ledge trump to d-air can work too! And if you know their ledge vulnerability has already been used up and they're about to grab it a second time, GET YOUR HOLY ASS ABOVE THAT LEDGE BECAUSE THEY DESERVE TO GET D-AIRED! Warp there if you have to!

Yeah just. Since the game came out we've kind of "shunned" d-air because it's so unforgiving, but. It's a really great tool once you've mastered it. Granted it's TECHNICALLY the slowest of her aerials to come out (n-air: frame 5, f-air: frame 9, b-air: frame 8, u-air: frame 8, d-air: frame 10), but her animation doesn't really move until the frame the hitbox comes out, so it can be deceptively fast I think. Kinda like Cloud's whirlwind. And the spike has good KBG. I think we should stop using the "1 frame" thing as an excuse, and instead practice on perfecting this move.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
While I agree with the sentiment, I feel that it should be mentioned that this is very matchup dependent and some characters will hurt you bad for chasing them offstage, and others (Sheik) basically get back for free so running out there just puts you at a less advantageous position. Others should never ever get back to the stage without having to work for it (Captain Falcon).

Getting only Nair's 1% hit is a death sentence for many, and couple with the move's meatiness makes it the #1 choice for edgeguarding, though Fair and Bair certainly have their places, too.

I'm not as enamored with Dair. There are times when it's wise to use (A predictable DK recovery, for instance), but it really exists as a hail-mary. The problem with the move isn't only that it lasts for one frame, but also that the hitbox itself is tiny, like the size of her foot, and there's no sourspot. If you want the move to land, you have to be sure that they're going to be directly under you ten frames after you hit the command; add that to the ~15 frame human reaction time and we're pushing half a second in advance. When you go for the spike and miss, you've thrown away much easier damage (and often, the benefit of forcing them to recover again) to go for the long shot. It's great when it lands and it's a massive waste when it misses.

If you can do it consistently, or have an opportunity where you tell exactly where they're going to be (like a regrab), go for it. But on the whole I'd personally rather stick with stuff like Nair.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I'm actually attempting to do more offstage things with Palutena. Something I'm getting accustomed to is f-airing people away from the stage if they try to recover, and if they recovery too high I try to go for a d-air spike or a dash attack at the edge of I feel the move is too risky to punish with d-air. And b-air if I need to challenge people trying to punish my edge guard game.

Question is, what else do you recommend I try out in terms of edge guarding because out of all my top 3 I'd say my edge guarding with Pally is weak.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
What I get annoyed with myself when I'm trying to perform a nair after running offstage is when I would accidentally buffer a fair.

I do think nair is the best offstage move when trying to finish someone off. If anyone is trying to recover in a punishable manner, I would just fish for a d-air. Mac and Cloud's up-b, for instance, are very easy to punish with it (If they start to become unpredictable with their recovery, I would stop trying to dair them and go for safer gimps/punishes).

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom