• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Protecting Luma? Also what about mindgames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan King

Smash Rookie
Been getting used to Rosalina and Luma, and it's actually been going pretty well. I'm getting used to using star bitz and Nairs to bait at the start of the game, and then using jabs and grabs to deal the main bulk of damage, with bitz to stop runners and dtilts to space. Despite this, I'm struggling keeping luma alive. He seems to often get killed early and even right after he comes back sometimes. How do I protect luma, to ensure I can deal that double team damage more often? Also, what sort of things can I do to play mind games with my opponent a bit more, to make it hard for them to punish me etc? Are the tactics I'm employing even correct? If not what do I need to do? Any contribution would be great thanks. Just trying to improve my game as much as I can really, so any tips would be great, including more combos to use maybe. Thanks in advance

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Space your moves and move around to make you hard to catch, remember as well the attacks that alter her hitbox, your goal is be in the right range to force the opponent to respect every move you have, like Dabuz said at 1:00:30

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Been getting used to Rosalina and Luma, and it's actually been going pretty well. I'm getting used to using star bitz and Nairs to bait at the start of the game, and then using jabs and grabs to deal the main bulk of damage, with bitz to stop runners and dtilts to space. Despite this, I'm struggling keeping luma alive. He seems to often get killed early and even right after he comes back sometimes. How do I protect luma, to ensure I can deal that double team damage more often? Also, what sort of things can I do to play mind games with my opponent a bit more, to make it hard for them to punish me etc? Are the tactics I'm employing even correct? If not what do I need to do? Any contribution would be great thanks. Just trying to improve my game as much as I can really, so any tips would be great, including more combos to use maybe. Thanks in advance
Honestly, I think you're going to have to get used to it. Unless you're beating your opponent down luma doesn't stay around like it used to. People already took out Luma easy and now it's even easier. There's times when I feel like I'm just playing Rosalina.

IceFlame1211

Smash Rookie
Well depends on how Luma is getting killed. If Luma is constantly getting killed in hit stun from being hit off stage you will likely want to try and focus on your center stage control as when Luma is near an edge it dies very easily, obviously. But if Luma is dying a lot from just percentage deaths then you might be throwing your self out to the opponet to much and while Luma does serve as a shield for Rosalina all be it, Luma only has like about what? 46% after patch I think until it dies. So yeah, hope that helped a bit.

Duncan King

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks for the luma tips. I'll work on making myself hard to catch and spacing my moves, and stage control for keeping luma from falling off the ledge too often. I also have trouble with coming back down fro the air, as she is a floaty character, the minute I get hit sky high, I get punished very easily either from aerials or from landing, even with Luna landings. (I can only do delayed ones atm.) So what can I do to land safer on the ground?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Remember that the Luma only has 48 HP now, so anyone who has high damaging attacks (such as Shulk, while he's using his Buster Monado Art) can potentially wipe it out with just a few attacks.

IceFlame1211

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks for the luma tips. I'll work on making myself hard to catch and spacing my moves, and stage control for keeping luma from falling off the ledge too often. I also have trouble with coming back down fro the air, as she is a floaty character, the minute I get hit sky high, I get punished very easily either from aerials or from landing, even with Luna landings. (I can only do delayed ones atm.) So what can I do to land safer on the ground?
Well I am assuming that you know that there is multiple forms of Lunar landings so you will want to work on those as I find from my personal experience Back Lunar Landing and Forward Lunar Landing can be pretty nifty. But while this does sound a bit crazy you can go for a down air as some times people will not see it coming and Luma hits hard sending opponets rather far. And then you can do neutral air thanks to the way the attack is performed you can shift your hurt box. But I would defiantly work on your Luna landings. Also becareful if you choose the Down air approach because it does have some punishible landing lag. Also another thing you can do is back air. But if your opponet is right below you, you probably should jump.

But what ever you do, do not repeat the same landing options multiple times as you will begin to get punished for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom