• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposal: Generic Customs

the0nlykyd

Smash Rookie
On my phone so I'll try to be brief, yet thorough.

The proposal is that customs be limited to 3 per character. This essentially would make every character have C1(default), C2, and C3 variants. Reach variant uses only specials of that number (C2 exclusively uses "2" specials).

While it's just an idea, and one that honestly would hurt a ton of my custom builds, it has potential long-term benefits.

1. Each character has 3 fixed variations that everyone can use instead of 81 possible variations.
1a. Playtesting, counter-picking and tiering are much more viable.
1b. Counter-picking procedure is faster.

2. POSSIBLE Wii U benefits. I say possible because we don't yet know how 3DS customs are being implemented.
2a. Assuming players will be allowed to save and store up to 2 customs per character, this makes it add variety to the character select on the Wii U version without the need to set them up before every match.
2b. Players without the 3DS game/console will not be at a disadvantage during Wii U tournaments, but still have extra variety in the character select.

Cons:
1. It requires unlocking all moves of a specific number for those who want to use a specific variant character.
1a. (POSSIBLE) It requires a player to unlock everything if they wish to transfer it all to a Wii U.

2. Drastically reduces options.
2a. Requires 2 custom slots per character dedicated for competitive play, giving players less space for their other customs.

I didn't see a thread proposing this so I figured I'd put one here. I'm not championing this idea so much as just putting it out there for discussion and consideration. If we can't save customs to the Wii U then this idea really won't be necessary. I'm suggesting it really as an attempt of uniformity between 3DS/Wii U tournaments.

Like it? Hate it? Wondering who I even am? Discuss please. . I'm picking at brains.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd prefer it over the no-customs rule, but it's so limiting in some cases that it'd completely lock people out of certain choices.

For instance, if you're playing Shulk, I rather highly doubt you'd want Decisive Monado Arts. The inability to change forms at will is a major drawback not offset by the duration since the battlefield changes so quickly. So unless you just REALLY want the other C2 abilities and can deal with that massive drawback, there's no point in using that.

A lot of characters have moves with that sort of limit. It feels really limiting for no major reasons. Counterpicks and whatever else are pretty easy to do if you just require players to tell their opponent their moveset. Unlocks should be required anyway for custom matches, just like you can't have a tournament setup that doesn't have characters unlocked.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks for the thought, but this is solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Top Bottom