• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposal for official gimmicks tournament set

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
After doing much research and digging several years ago, I have wanted to reintroduce a few gimmicks that the West Coast was quite fond of in the history of competitive Smash. However, I believe the issue regarding items and such is that such elements were unpredictable and undesirable. It wasn't until this year after much exposure to Smash history, tournament organizing, and competing that I've decided to dare to try something different with fleshed out details.

Let's cut to the chase, though. I want to introduce and solidify a ruleset for "Gimmicks Tourney". To start, the game will be Super Smash Bros. 3DS/U, as a lot of people have voiced MANY different concerns regarding its competitive play. I want us to experiment as this is the time in the Smash 4 meta that most are still trying to flesh out. Before last year, I've hosted a very small amount of gimmick tourneys, but with no good progress. Last year, I brought the idea back up again before the release of Smash U and it seemed to have gained a lot of attention (though there were some critiques regarding the ruleset). This is what I want everyone else's help with.

As this is the starting phase of gimmick tourneys, the ruleset will be fairly based on current competitive rules for an average tournament with the new twists.

Singles:
-2 Stock, 6 Minute Time Limit or 3 Stock, 8 Minute Time Limit
-Amiibos disallowed
-You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
-You may not play on a stage that is not on the available stages list.
-Initiator of a suicide KO on both players' last stock is the victor regardless of results screen.
-First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1(1)-P2(2)-P1(2)-P2(2)-P1(1) order.
-Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.

-Items on Low/Medium (Selection Unknown at the current moment)

Starter Stages:
-Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville

Counterpicks:
-Lylat Cruise, Town & City, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd

3DS Stages:
-Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Prism Tower, Kongo Jungle (maybe?), Arena Ferox

(Stages for this particular event are subject to change based on critique with these gimmicks.)

This sounds like a tournament for casual players, but this is definitely not the intention. Having items as a part of this particular ruleset or even different stages can force interactions to not be so stale in the neutral game. Some characters already come equipped with specific items they can pull, which can make for a campy match. Certain battering weapons such as the Beam Sword can also change how a character fights (although, range will be altered as well). We will need to test what kind of interactions we could potentially have with such availability to other characters. What I will need is a couple of players to test this or host the Gimmicks ruleset as a side-event for Smash 4 tournaments ahead.

Things that need to be tested in competitive play will be:

-Item usage and craftiness
-Extensive data on battering items, tilts/smashes with battering items and throw speeds for any other items
-Character interactions and matchups with items available
-Appropriate stages to accommodate this set

I want to see how far this goes and I'm adamant about putting this tournament set to the true test. There's a lot more I can say in regards to this set, but I will respond according to any critique on the matter. Several people want to see this become a bigger thing and I think it can. It could encourage scene expansion for non-gimmick tourneys as well. I'm certainly not saying we should integrate this into official Smash 4 tourneys' time any time soon, but this idea should see more light than it has so far. For the benefit of the community and this ruleset PLEASE let them be known and give your critiques. As for those looking to help push this idea after substantial information has been obtained and all the details have been solidified for this first round, I can provide ways to contact me personally.

Disclaimer: This is not for the current standing official ruleset for tournaments, but to be considered a league of its own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom