• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prophecy: 2312 Palutena is the Best Character in the Game

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
As we're dawning the age of customs, a ruleset that honestly should have been adopted from release date, there is a very apparent omen floating right on the horizon. That is Palutena, with access to Explosive Flame, Warp, Lightweight, and particularly Super Speed... is the best character in all of Smash 4.

This is in consideration of the rest of the cast, and all the tools they receive with customs as well. I don't believe any character gains as impressive a toolset as Palutena. Not even Luma Warp, not even Kong Kopter, not even Gravity Grenades.

In Palutena's Name We Pray.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
But I still think Defaultena is completely underrated because of her playstyle and her customs are overrated because they make her playstyle open to other people who can't get used to the frankly great tools she is given. (Explosive Flame, more like trash flame, amirite?)

No, but in all seriousness though, I think in this case it's totally down to personal preference. The only default I don't like is probably Counter, as I think that it's pretty lacking for a Counter attack, so I substitute it for Celestial Firework since I think Lightweight is overall not worth it due to it's downsides. Even then, there are cases where I'd still prefer Counter, as it's pretty nasty at teaching opponents a lesson about agressive recoveries against Palu. I'd say Super Speed is pretty damn good too, but I have absoloutely no idea how to put this to good use, so I just stick to gimping try-harding with Reflect instead. lol

To each their own I say - part of Palu's gimmick is that her specials are so varied, so I'm looking forward to seeing the different varieties of Palu that come from this if anything.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But Palutena is the best character in the game just for being Palutena.

As the above says, it'll all boil down to personal preference. I think we'll definitely see her full potential being realised in the months ahead, though, and probably she'll end up Rocket Jumping up dat tier list like nobody's business~

Fun times ahead, methinks. >w<

Good time to be a Palutena player, either way, I'm happy people are finally warming up to what she can do~ :3

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Even with customs, :4palutena: is not the best. I think she might be as good as :4diddy: is without customs (and with them :smirk:), but then several other characters get better than that.

Like, is she better than :4sonic: with his Spin Dash buffs? Or :4villager: and the Tree of Life Death? How about :4pikachu: and :4sheik: with improved kill options? I can't see it, which is why I think she's probably hanging out in the lower half of top 10.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Even with customs, :4palutena: is not the best. I think she might be as good as :4diddy: is without customs (and with them :smirk:), but then several other characters get better than that.

Like, is she better than :4sonic: with his Spin Dash buffs? Or :4villager: and the Tree of Life Death? How about :4pikachu: and :4sheik: with improved kill options? I can't see it, which is why I think she's probably hanging out in the lower half of top 10.
Diddy's banana's become zss's d-smash. He can kill at 60 percent with his up-b. His monkey flip gets a buff too. Diddy's customs aren't bad at all. I still think its a bad mu even with customs. They don't fix everything about her.

Idk if Palutena becomes the best. She's easily top 5 maybe top 2 with customs. She can slaughter the entire cast taking stocks at 20-50% from a grab. This is the reason I'm afraid lightweight is going to be banned. Its her best custom move for that reason.

Djent

Smash Champion
Interesting; is that with Battering Banana Peel? I know it sets up for UAir at any %, but not throws and so that means sacrificing some damage racking (but eh, it is Diddy).

andimidna

Smash Master
I think JG will eventually become the standard palutena up b cause it gives her an extra chance to go for those crazy early lightweight followup kills off a grab
I think that's custom Palutena's best attribute and JG can be like a second chance, the others are great tho
Warp cancels are amazing
Dair + rocket jump keeps those spike hitboxes out
Both auto reticle and explosive flame have potential
Anything else would be MU specific
Definitely a lot of potential here

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
I can't imagine Palutena without the warps. The warp canceling is not only effective, but it's max stylish!

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I really liked 2312. I much prefer 2322/1322 (depending on match up) now after seeing Aerolink use Jump Glide. I originally thought Jump Glide was just a janky/gimmicky hassle to learn/mess around with and dismissed it and concluded Warp is "honestly more practical".

Nah. Sure Warp Cancelling is pretty damn cool, but Jump Glide truly opens up many options to get back on stage/land safely; Gravity no longer is a factor when juggling since you essentially have a very maneuverable option to stay in the air; New approach options and follow ups like Glide then slide into jab/grab, Glide and F-air/N-air/D-air/B-air; Superspeed is there for us when Lightweight is on cool down, Jump Glide is ALWAYS there for us whether Lightweight/Super Speed is on cool down or not; You can go extremely deep off stage.

I want to persuade all of you that Jump Glide is worth investing your time. No one has made a thorough Jump Glide guide yet and thus you probably aren't very familiar with the properties/mechanics of the move thus not very effective with it concluding this move isn't good. But I can offer a few general beginner's tip to keep in mind that may help you start off.

1. Don't even worry about "Glide Bouncing" for now
2. There is quite a bit landing lag if Jump Glide ends while you're in the air. You should pretty much always land with a fast fall N-air or F-air out of Jump Glide if your glide won't naturally descend to the ground.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yea, the only change I would make would be the inclusion of Jump Glide over Warp. The overall package is ridiculous.

Top Bottom