• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proper way to SDI out of Uair

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
I have very little experience vs fox, I just wanted to know which direction to try to SDI to get out of the second hit of his Uair.

EDIT: this is as Marth, by the way

Last edited:

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Generally you want to DI away and then MSDI/ASDI in the opposite direction. Take into account your opponent can overshoot the center of you in either direction to read your SDI.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Generally you want to DI away and then MSDI/ASDI in the opposite direction. Take into account your opponent can overshoot the center of you in either direction to read your SDI.
so i would hold :GCL: and tap :GCCR: for example...?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I would hold :GCUL: and :GCCU: but I could be completely wrong.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman

Stride

Smash Ace
whats the difference between SDI and ASDI? also 10/10 guide
Kadano's video on hitlag and directional influence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RP3sbS7Dm0

SDI is input by tapping the control stick in a direction on any frame of hitlag apart from the last one, and will move your character in the direction you tap.

ASDI is determined by whatever direction is being held on the control or C-stick (the C-stick overrides the control stick) on the last frame of hitlag (which is the same time that trajectory DI is read). It moves your character like SDI does, but approximately half the distance. If you manage to input SDI, you can input ASDI in the same direction by simply continuing to hold the control stick afterwards.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Isn't it true though that C-Stick has higher priority in this situation? Therefore, holding the C-stick over rides the control stick?

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Unless I'm misunderstanding, Stride is not completely correct. The C-stick only overrides the SDI if they're in the same direction, which is why vorde posted titling the two sticks in different directions.

However you must smash the control stick during hitlag for SDI to happen, you can't just hold the control stick - but you can just hold the c stick.

Hope that helps. :)

Stride

Smash Ace
Unless I'm misunderstanding, Stride is not completely correct. The C-stick only overrides the SDI if they're in the same direction, which is why vorde posted titling the two sticks in different directions.

However you must smash the control stick during hitlag for SDI to happen, you can't just hold the control stick - but you can just hold the c stick.

Hope that helps. :)
If it were to only override the SDI if it's in the same direction then it wouldn't actually be overriding anything (overriding SDI up with SDI up will still give you SDI up). Regardless, the C-stick doesn't have any effect whatsoever on SDI.

I've already explained it, and Kadano's video explains it in detail: The C-stick applies ASDI and only ASDI, which overrides the control stick's ASDI. It does not provide additional ASDI, nor does it affect the control stick's DI or SDI in any way.

The reason you don't need to hold the C-stick is that you're already applying ASDI with the control stick by just continuing to hold it after you input the SDI, so applying ASDI with the C-stick would be redundant.

Applying SDI and ASDI in different directions will not allow you to escape Fox's up aerial any more effectively, so there's nothing to be gained from using the C-stick to ASDI in one direction while SDIing in another. Furthermore, ASDI alone doesn't move you far enough to escape the up aerial, so even holding the C-stick just as a backup for if you miss the SDI/ASDI with the control stick isn't useful. There really is no reason to use the C-stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom