• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Projectile Spamming: It's annoying!

pegguinni128

Smash Cadet
NNID
pegg128
Now, let me get this straight. Some people have really good timing, so they can perfect shield almost any projectile.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's move on to the main topic.
Projectile Spammers can be a huge annoyance to players who don't have so great of reflexes. I, like many others, am one of those people. I have lost so many matches to Link/Toon Links who just sit there at the other edge of the stage, spamming arrows. When I play For Glory, I want a real challenge, not somebody using a cheap tactic to win. I actually found fighting Little Mac more fun than this, and that's saying a lot since I hate people just using Little Mac over and over again.

Now, this can be countered if you practiced your reflexes, but that takes way too long.

If anyone would be kind enough, please leave suggestions of how to rid of these annoyances.

Aura Warrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-2557-2596
Just... jump. Sounds silly, but it is that simple; jump up to the opponent and force him to fight melee.

IblisTriggersPuppet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Oshawottfan33
3DS FC
4356-0745-3351
Even without so great reflexes you should be able to time it right and know when to strike

i'm no expert here i'm decent I wouldn't call myself good

but i'd try to predict the timing right and get the right time to strike at your foe

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Now, let me get this straight. Some people have really good timing, so they can perfect shield almost any projectile.

Projectile Spammers can be a huge annoyance to players who don't have so great of reflexes. I, like many others, am one of those people. I have lost so many matches to Link/Toon Links who just sit there at the other edge of the stage, spamming arrows. When I play For Glory, I want a real challenge, not somebody using a cheap tactic to win. I actually found fighting Little Mac more fun than this, and that's saying a lot since I hate people just using Little Mac over and over again.

Now, this can be countered if you practiced your reflexes, but that takes way too long.

If anyone would be kind enough, please leave suggestions of how to rid of these annoyances.
Cheap Tactic should be blacklisted and immediately lock a thread.

Its not cheap if it wins, and also its clearly a real challenge if you can't beat it. Its simple as that. If you were able to stop it, they would stop it or lose. Its not what you wanted to hear, but its what happens

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
If you can't beat it then it's a challenge. You gotta learn a way around it.

A lot of dodges 'n rolls. Just don't do it when you're in close proximity to your opponent or they'll grab you and give you a tossin'.

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
As someone who likes to play as bowser a lot i know your pain, you have to get used to it, use the shield and move at the right times, you gotta learn how to punish the spam (im still learning :( ), and i don't think using projectiles is cheap most characters that have projectiles need them.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Ness/Rosalina & Luma

You shut down their projectile game (and in the case of Ness, heal yourself a bit heh)

pegguinni128

Smash Cadet
NNID
pegg128
This thread is getting a lot of negative impressions.

I am sorry if I have broken any unknown rules that were nobody ever informed me of before.
I am sorry if I am not as good as other people.
I am sorry if I have offended anyone.
I am sorry for my lack of intelligence.
Most importantly, I am sorry for wasting all of your time by posting this thread. I have meant not harm to others and if it must be locked then do so.
My apologies.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

That is a real challenge. If you're losing to it, then they're the better player than you.

What is with all the whinging about losing in 'For Glory'? Using a character's arsenal is not "cheating", it's not "cheap", it's using the character. If you want a stationary punching bag to play out your dream fits, there is a mode for that.

Aura Warrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0662-2557-2596

I am sorry if I have broken any unknown rules that were nobody ever informed me of before.
Most importantly, I am sorry for wasting all of your time by posting this thread. I have meant not harm to others and if it must be locked then do so.
My apologies.
Don't worry, pal, is a common question.
Now I notice that your main is Bowser. My mains are Lucario and ZSS, so jumping is an easy solution for me, but in your case is a limitation of the character. All characters have their shortcomings, so as Rickhaos says, you must continue training to find a way to evade projectiles with Bowser.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664

My apologies.
What? You're not stupid or being offensive for asking a legitimate question. Youre not wasting anybody's time either so don't apologize for that. You're having a legit problem and (some) of us want to help. Just keep trying to improve by either jumping or rolling. Or choose a character that has a good counter (Rosalina or Ness have good ones). It takes some work.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187

My apologies.
It's no big deal, we're just trying to help you. Its all about knowing your opponent observe their pattern for spamming and see how they react when you approach them and then try and bait a roll or a counter, also try not to get too upset because it makes you play more recklessly which gets you hit more and so on

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
That is a real challenge. If you're losing to it, then they're the better player than you.
I was going to say this, too. If you're losing to it, then it IS a real challenge for you, and the first step is admitting it. That being said, the best thing to do is approach it as such. I see that you main DHD, Bowser, and Bowser Jr., and that your secondaries are Dr. Mario, Pit, and ZSS. Unfortunately, I don't use any of these characters, so at best I can give extremely basic advice. I'll try to give generic advice to combat projectile spamming, but I'll use Toon Link as an example, since he's the character that you used as one. Bowser's probably going to have the hardest time in this particular matchup, so if you're playing Bowser then you're going to have to focus.

Generally, with all of the characters, you want to not get hit by the arrows (obviously). Smash has a few ways for you to not get hit by stuff that's coming at you in a straight line (like TLink's arrows): shielding, rolling, dodging, jumping, clanking, and (sometimes) crouching. It's okay to shield something without perfect shielding it: the timing is tough. If you can't perfect shield: don't feel like you have to (it will only make the match more stressful). Instead: try regular shielding it (which is what it sounds like you do).

Clanking with a move may also be a viable option. I'm not too sure on how TLink's arrows interact with any of your characters, but Bowser's ftilt may neutralize many projectiles. Try it out!

Rolling seems pretty decent in this game; try rolling toward your opponent in order to save your shield, approach, and avoid damage (just don't make a habit of abusing it, or you'll get predictable). Jumping may also be an excellent option depending on which character you're playing at the time, and it is especially good if you can catch him while he's firing an arrow. If the Toon Link is smart, he's going to be mixing in his boomerang, his bombs, and his sword. Just know that Toon Link and his projectiles cannot occupy 100% of the space around him 100% of the time: there will always be gaps. You should use matches against Links who spam by trying to find the gaps. It will be frustrating, no doubt, but I believe in you.

Most importantly, mix up your approaches and look for patterns. You'll get it.

Last edited:

Kaiizoku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kaiizoku
3DS FC
2981-5940-8773
I call it positioning and zoning. If you keep getting hit by my projectiles just for you to get in then obviously its working. I don't just throw it out to throw it out. I throw out my boomerang and then shoot an arrow then i go in with with an up-smash or fair.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Just play Rosalina. Projectiles do nothing to her. In fact, she is just easy mode in general - good for people with bad reflexes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom