• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project X Zone: Thoughts?

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
OK, so here's my review of the massive crossover event between three of the biggest and most well known video game companies in the world, Sega, Namco and Capcom. Feel free to share any thoughts on the game and what you think should be done if there's ever a sequel.

OK, so when I first heard about Project X Zone, I honestly **** my pants a little. Sega, Capcom and Namco were three companies that helped shape my childhood, and I would consider myself a fanboy of all three companies. The game features a huge collection of iconic characters from all three companies, both recognisable and not so recognisable. While Namco X Capcom had one or two pair characters, this game is based all around that concept.

There are 20 pair units who you control, and you can make them do a variety of awesome looking combo attacks together, such as making Ken do a Shoryu Reppa on the opponent while Ryu pelts them with Hadoukens. There are also 20 solo units who can do equally cool looking assist attacks that can make combos last up to 100 hits or more. When you add in the fact that you can send in another pair unit to fight alongside the one you're using and call in the assist character means that you can have up to five characters on screen at once fighting for you. And that's just awesome!

The super moves also never disappoint. All of them are bone-chillingly badass and really make you go ouch. It's not quite so fun however when you're on the wrong end of a boss character's super move.

Despite this, the game has often been described as 'Tactical RPGs for dummies' due to it's rather simple gameplay. I have to disagree. Playing Project X Zone requires a good knowledge of RPGs and fighting games, as this game is like a combination of the two genres. It may occasionally get a little confusing if you don't know anything about RPGs or fighting games.

But what about the characters? Well, the selection of characters chosen for Project X Zone is odd, but not quite as odd as the game's predecessor, Namco X Capcom. You should be able to at least identify most of the characters in the game. Even if you don't, there's a Wikipedia-like database in the game that explains every character's origins and skills, so you shouldn't get that confused. The database is surprisingly deep, and sometimes I just find myself spending nearly half an hour scrolling through all the characters (I spend more time looking at Kaguya though :love:). Like how Smash Bros helped me familiarise myself with all the obscure Nintendo characters, Project X Zone helped me identify with all the obscure Namco, Sega and Capcom characters.

The crossover value of this game is pretty damn good. Nearly all of the characters have special conversations with each other, and all of them provide tons of fanservice to long time fans of the franchises, and they're all hilarious. Even the background and enemy characters are given loads of personality, even though most of them don't talk.

However, I have found one major flaw with this otherwise great crossover: The story. While I usually dig the whole 'omniverse is at stake' and 'everything's breaking apart' thing, this game just doesn't do it for me. The major gripe that I have is the fact that you never see any action going on other than the battle sequences. No action filled cutscenes, no real drama, nothing. I mean sure, (SPOILERS) Arthur makes out that he's about to sacrifice himself, but do you really think they're gonna kill off freaking Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins? The story gets boring, repetitive and confusing very quickly. The characters go to some other dimension, get confused, meet a bad guy, meet some friends, beat the bad guy, rinse and repeat. Every. Single. Time. I thought most of these characters are meant to be geniuses, but they just act stupid in this game.

And that reminds me. The final boss himself isn't terrible as a design, but his appearance isn't really built up at all, especially since he appears in the ****ing intro! I really hate the sudden difficulty spike you get at the end in the final battle. Throughout most of the game, the game isn't too hard, but when you face Meden Traore and every boss in the game, you'd literally rather shove you're head up a cow's arse. The ending is also incredibly cliché and lasts way too long.

I mean, maybe if you saw a little action and drama going on rather than see still portraits and Japanese voice acting, I would like this game's plot a bit better. There was apparently meant to be a scene where you saw X, Zero, Ken, Ryu and some other characters all getting shot out of the Arc de'Triumphe and fighting bad guys in midair while flying through loads of wreckage before reaching the tower. That would have been freaking awesome to see, or at least described. But it's just hand waved and never mentioned again. What a let down.

Overall, this game isn't bad. Far from it. The mere fact that characters from Capcom, Namco and Sega can all be seen in the same place talking to each other is awesome enough. But due to the fact that this game is completely plot oriented, there's little to no replay value. Maybe if there was a casual online battle mode or something, then I would have been perfectly fine with this game. But as I've stated before, the plot is lazy and unsatisfactory. The main characters, Kogoro and Mii are given next to no character development and are just boring. Justified since they're like the worst characters in the game power-wise as well, but they do have some cool attacks I guess.

7/10
Great crossover, great characters, bad plot.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
My thought about the plot bit is that I don't think anybody who plays PxZ really should expect some awesome story with it. I mean, the sheer amount of characters and universes between the 3 developers involved makes having a really good story almost impossible, so I wasn't bothered by that. It's certainly a good game to pick up for say a car ride, or an hour of downtime as you can jump in and not really feel lost and like "crap, what was I doing again?", and I quite like the music remixes of songs. To this day, I'll occasionally realize I've been whistling the game's version of "Stairs of Time" for a little bit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll agree and say that the gameplay is somewhat simple due to resource management not being as vital as it should be. Most of the time, you have enough healing items to get you by. It wasn't until the last level of the New Game Plus that I had to be more considerate of my resources.

Plot is something I wasn't expecting to be super good. It's almost impossible to have a really good plot when you have a massive crossover. I think the story got the job done, and the game rarely takes itself seriously.

I will say though that this is a gigantic time cruncher. You could be halfway through a level and an hour has passed you by.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My thought about the plot bit is that I don't think anybody who plays PxZ really should expect some awesome story with it.

I expected a story. Got about 8 missions in, still nothing happening other than 'woah, we changed locations! Half our party is gone now! Here's some new people.' Gave up, returned it and got Fire emblem.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind if the story wasn't good, but you often have to sit through a lot of repetitive **** before you get to the action and to listen to all those awesome remixes!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I tend to agree with what's been said so far.

My biggest gripe with it was the fact that it should have been like 28 chapters TOPS.

It went on WAY longer than it should have, for as we're aware, virtually no plot. 77 hours for the amount of actual content in the game is way too much.

I enjoyed it for the fan-service, but not much else. It introduced me to the Super Robot Wars series (through Sanger, Kaguya and Haken), Gods Eater (Alisa, Soma, Lindow) and Valkyria Chronicles (Kurt, Riela, Imca). That was probably the most worthwhile thing I took away from it.

The combat is quite similar to the game Haken/Kaguya are from (OG Saga Endless Frontier) but with less depth. I disagree with your OP and would say that the game is really QUITE simple. All there really is to it is using the abilities (which are fairly straightforward), timing, and meter management. Once you learn a decent pattern to get easy crits for the varying weight classes, the game is incredibly repetitive.

I enjoyed it, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to people as anything other than a fan-service game.

Top Bottom