• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Super Smash Sunday - October 27th, 2013 - Walnut, CA

Zolom

Smash Apprentice

October 27th, 2013 - Facebook Event

- introduction -

We are on the map! The prestigious Super Arcade has given us the go-ahead to have our own, PM specific, tournament. While previously a side-partnership with the other Super Smash Sundays, primarily Brawl, this time around the PM crowd has all the room and all the play time. This is truly a breach through the wall of competitive PM playing for those of us in Cali. SoCal will have its first big Project M tournament at a named venue. This is a big deal! It is with great hope we receive a very successful turnout, as the result may very well lead to the tournament becoming a common occurrence at the Super Arcade.

- location -

Super Arcade
Twitter - Facebook

1211 N Grand Ave
Walnut, CA 91789

features:
-a large local venue which can fit 100+ players and spectators
-ample tables and chairs for casual and tournament play
-outdoor and indoor spectating environment
-arcade cabinets for when you need to take your mind off smash
-adjacent to many local restaurants; situated in a prime shopping center in the heart of Socal
-concession stand for drinks and snacks
-free and easy parking right outside the venue
-stream and production quality unmatched by any other local tournament venue

- stream -

Will be streaming the tournament! Check out all the action at twitch.tv/leveluplive

- schedule -

12:00 pm - venue opens
1:00 pm - teams starts
3:00 pm - singles starts (pools + bracket)
11:00 pm - venue closes

- cost -

Venue fee: $7
Melee Singles: $5
Melee Doubles: $5 per teammate

- prizes -

1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 20%

- ruleset -
  • Game Settings: 4 Stock, 8 Minute Time Limit, No Items, Pause Disabled
  • See ruleset for complete list of Starter and Counterpick stages for both singles and doubles matches.
  • First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1-P1-P2 order.
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • Following stages decided by winner banning two stages from all stages and then loser choosing.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule [Modified] is implemented.
If there are further rules disputes, the following ruleset will be used: https://www.facebook.com/notes/soca...ct-m-tournament-legal-ruleset/241766029304669

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
So excited for this man! Should we get there at 12 to sign up for singles?

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Oh man this would be awesome! BTW, are all the consoles and controllers provided? Or should I bring my own? Should I come during 12PM to sign up for singles?

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
Also, do you have to pay for singles if you already paid for doubles? I want to play doubles with my sister, just wondering if it covers the cost of singles as well. Do we have to sign up for doubles and singles separately?

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
Hey! I'm one of the TOs for this tourney, I'll help answer anyone's questions.
Should we get there at 12 to sign up for singles?
If you want to make doubles, you should show up before 1. Singles sign-ups will end later on.

...are all the consoles and controllers provided? Or should I bring my own? Do you have to pay for singles if you already payed for doubles?
You should bring your own controller. Bringing TVs and consoles is a collective effort between everyone attending. If you can, it would be awesome if you were able to bring a setup, but you'll totally be able to play if you don't. Also, yes, if you've payed for singles you'd still need to pay for your doubles entry as well.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
no stream for this?
They never set up the stream service, but the tech guys told me that they were going to upload videos online of the fights. Fly Amalita and Westballz were there, as well as some other professional smashers. I did poorly, being my very first tourney, but I know Fly Amalita got into the GF of the tourney. Not sure who won though, I'll post links when I can find the videos.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I didn't do too well either, but I was happy about everything that happened. I'm so excited to watch and possibly download the crew battle. I will definitely study more and have my hands more used to doing certain moves or reactions. And of course not be such a nervous wreck, lol.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
I didn't do too well either, but I was happy about everything that happened. I'm so excited to watch and possibly download the crew battle. I will definitely study more and have my hands more used to doing certain moves or reactions. And of course not be such a nervous wreck, lol.
Yeah ditto! What was your username? I think I saw you in the tourney (and possibly fought you, I was such a nervous wreck I probably didn't notice). I was the scruffy haired kid with the green shirt and silver wrist watch, holding a blue gamecube controller and strolling around the place looking for matches to fight. I went by CVAmass. What place did you get into?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ditto! What was your username? I think I saw you in the tourney (and possibly fought you, I was such a nervous wreck I probably didn't notice). I was the scruffy haired kid with the green shirt and silver wrist watch, holding a blue gamecube controller and strolling around the place looking for matches to fight. I went by CVAmass. What place did you get into?
JayeL. And I think I saw you too. You had the military my little pony shirt on right? You mentioned to me, "I didn't know Lucario had a wall tech" or something like that. I looked at you and shook my head up and down. I might have looked dead doing that. I didn't mean that, I was just so focused in the match.

And I did horrible. Pretty much dead last (or close). First set I lost both games, and then set two, it was 2-1. I got out quick, but I had a lot of fun. I played against Agro and I forgot the other guys alias. He was the other Mario besides mine in the loser's bracket.

Who'd you play as?

Have the results been posted already?
Not that I know of. I'm kind of waiting for them too. And your ZZS was sick man. I enjoyed watching you play a lot.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
JayeL. And I think I saw you too. You had the military my little pony shirt on right? You mentioned to me, "I didn't know Lucario had a wall tech" or something like that. I looked at you and shook my head up and down. I might have looked dead doing that. I didn't mean that, I was just so focused in the match.

And I did horrible. Pretty much dead last (or close). First set I lost both games, and then set two, it was 2-1. I got out quick, but I had a lot of fun. I played against Agro and I forgot the other guys alias. He was the other Mario besides mine in the loser's bracket.

Who'd you play as?
Yep, that was me! I played as Ness and Mario, also attempted Falco in the loser's bracket, 0-1 wins. Yeah I remember you, although we didn't speak much, sorry about that. If I came off as skiddish, I was, I do terrible in public events :/. Did you see me fight at all?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Yep, that was me! I played as Ness and Mario, also attempted Falco in the loser's bracket, 0-1 wins. Yeah I remember you, although we didn't speak much, sorry about that. If I came off as skiddish, I was, I do terrible in public events :/. Did you see me fight at all?
No worries man. I was just focusing and trying to absorb everything there. Plus I'm more introverted so it's a little hard for me to talk in bigger crowds, especially if I've never hung out with them before. And no, I didn't see you fight :/ At least I don't think I did.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
No worries man. I was just focusing and trying to absorb everything there. Plus I'm more introverted so it's a little hard for me to talk in bigger crowds, especially if I've never hung out with them before. And no, I didn't see you fight :/ At least I don't think I did.
Haha, no worries man, I'm an INFJ, so I'm in the same boat! Hopefully the next tournament, we can compete for real! Mind if I send you a friend request?

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Haha, no worries man, I'm an INFJ, so I'm in the same boat! Hopefully the next tournament, we can compete for real! Mind if I send you a friend request?
Haha, oh man. I haven't heard those letters in a while. I forget what I am. I have the test in my files somewhere though. And I do not mind. I would love that :]

And for the results, Jerrod posted them just recently and hasn't updated here yet, but here you guys go:

Singles Bracket:
1st place - Fly Amanita
2nd place - DSF
3rd place - Okami

Doubles Bracket:
1st place - PMBR (Fly and Okami)
2nd place - Team 1st Place (Westballz and Sung)
3rd place - African American Doubles (lol) (Tyrant and Aggro)

TwinZ

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the results, and i hope we can meet at another tournament Jayel

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Oh shoot, he posted this right before I did. Like seven minutes before, lol.

Top Bottom