• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
got a $50 steam card. need suggestions for games
I've had a lot of fun with lovely Planet its a Fps were you try to go through the levels as fast as possible. It has really nice tight controls and really consistent physics once you figure out all the janky stuff with slopes and half of the fun is just optimizing your routing and trying to abuse the (very loose) level design. I think I've put like 12 hours into just the first 6 levels just trying new things to get faster times. Its pretty niche but its only like $1.45 on steam so...

Edit: Oh yea it gets really difficult in the last three zones and while the level design is very loose in terms of being able to jump between gaps in walls and skipping entire sections of levels they push the level design pretty far and so a lot of cool things for a game with so few mechanics.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
BattleBlock Theater is a great co-op platformer that's pretty silly but still fun and can be challenging. You can play it solo, too. It's on sale for $3.

If you haven't played it already, I highly recommend Borderlands 2 GOTY, which is only $9 (not a historic low, but close), and I have about 200 hours in it. Great if you enjoy shooting things and random loot systems.

Braid is a great indie puzzle game that's only $1.50 right now. Time manipulation-based platforming and stuff.

Dust: An Elysian Tail has a great combat system that I found very, very enjoyable. Though the plot isn't too great and the voice acting is lacking, it is an indie game, so those things are understandable, and it's still pretty fully voiced, which can be nice. Some people have an issue with the art style and stuff, but even if you think it's weird I think that's a silly reason to not enjoy this game. Only $3 right now.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is just under $4 and is great if you like rhythm games or roguelikes, since it's both!

Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite indie games, a stealth action platformer kind of thing, and is less than $4. An absolute steal.

Dishonored is a triple-A title, but it's only just over $3 right now, and is one of my favorite games as well - great stealth gameplay and lots of neat abilities and playstyles that you can incorporate.

If you like RPGs at all, or like Star Wars at all, and haven't played the KOTOR games, get them. They're only $2.50 each and they're fantastic.

As far as roguelikes, FTL and Spelunky, while fairly different, are both quite good and only $3 each. I got more into FTL personally, since the platforming in Spelunky didn't engage me as much as the space combat and strategy in FTL.

Hotline Miami is a great frantic top-down shooter with a story that ended up being a good bit more than I expected. It has a great soundtrack, too, and is only $2.50 for an indie classic.

One Finger Death Punch is one I don't hear a lot about, and is kind of a diamond in the rough when it comes to that developer. It's cheap, with nothing but stick figures, but man is it satisfying to play. Twitch reflexes and just a touch of strategy and almost rhythm game-esque gameplay make it feel smooth and engaging even though there's only two buttons used. It's only $1.24, and is an excellent diversion. Especially in class.

So that's a decent dump of games I can recommend, mostly on the cheaper/indie side of things. I can go on for quite a bit, but if you're looking for anything in particular I can probably recommend something more specific, too (I have an average playtime of almost 15 hours on about 250 different Steam games so there's a lot I probably have some sort of opinion on).
nerd.

(hotline miami's soundtrack is amazing, tho! you're totally right!)

Player -0

Smash Hero
absolutely loved "to the moon"
Is that the game with "Everything's Alright?" I really like that song.

On another note, Skullgirls is really fun.

Do you even land vs. Valentine?

Been playing Filia and getting 0-deathed. Had no idea who to play so I just started with Fukua but switched to Filia. Seems neat with the air dash cancels and stuff.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
╭━━━━╮ This is cooldog. Help
╰┃ ┣▇━▇ cooldog take over
 ┃ ┃   ╰━▅╮ Smashboards by pasting
  ╰┳╯ ╰━━┳╯ him in 10 other
   ╰╮ ┳━━╯ threads or you
  ▕▔▋ ╰╮╭━╮ will never be a cool dog.
╱▔╲▋╰━┻┻╮╲╱▔▔▔╲
▏  ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔  O O┃
╲╱▔╲▂▂▂▂╱▔╲▂▂▂╱
 ▏╳▕▇▇▕ ▏╳▕▇▇▕
 ╲▂╱╲▂╱ ╲▂╱╲▂╱

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Happy New Year everybody. You guys have fun last night? ¦D

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Turns out I might have been clinically depressed for most of my life without knowing it. Would explain so much.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Heli attack 2 was p good, Heli attack 1 would have been good if it didn't have the cave/wall bug. That bug broke the game if you were patient enough

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I hopebthe wavedash games game is really good so I don't have to resign myself to learning melee

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
Melee wobbles on the hearts of mankind. No one can escape its clutches.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I wanted to watch Passion of Joan of Arc. Instead we looked up Art House Movies on Netflix (probably a sin) and we accidentally clicked on Fish Tank. We watched it all and it was very goo.

Then we found out you can stream Sherlock on PBS (poorly).
Wtf is with Sherlock's inconsistency? Newest episode is better than the horrible season kickoff.

Forced my fellow hack to watch new SU arc. Was good.

I had him watch 1 episode of FLCL and we ended up watching all of them.
I clearly didn't even watch FLCL the first time. Even better than I remembered. I'm afraid of the new season.

We will never watch the Cowboy Bebop movie. Ever.

Also LA LA LAND & Manchester by the sea are must see. Especially the latter in theater.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Idk man if I end up sucking too much at my degree I might have to fall back on something profitable

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
Wait, I'm not even exactly sure what changed here...

so uh, good job
a change that is different, yet familiar
no one could possibly hate it

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I ruined everything, please discuss how much you hate change here
DIFFERENT IS ALWAYS WORSE!

tho, i will say i liked seeing the last poster thing from the main menu (or was that only from each section's main sub menu?)

if it works better on mobile, though, i'll consider it a win overall : O

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
DIFFERENT IS ALWAYS WORSE!

tho, i will say i liked seeing the last poster thing from the main menu (or was that only from each section's main sub menu?)

if it works better on mobile, though, i'll consider it a win overall : O
You can still see that though?

Top Bottom