• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I'll agree to disagree :)
the belief that political opinions are an inherently held belief that has intrinsic value as long as you believe in it is one of the failings of american democracy

just because you believe something does not make it valid. just because you hold a stance does not make it morally acceptable. there is no "agreeing to disagree" when the stances held deny the basic humanity of others or perpetuate basic hateful falsehood. politcal opinions are not, should not, and cannot be immutable.

this statement is unrelated to your previously quoted statement but if the shoe fits then so be it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, as long as you guys remain civil, it's not a big deal that you're discussing politics. Just know that 1. there are probably much better locations to do so and 2. if people (on either side) cannot be civil they will receive warnings or infractions for inflammatory remarks. I tend to only give out 1 warning/infraction per month, and I'd like to keep it that way. =)

I only mention this because I have observed these topics to be particularly hostile elsewhere on the net in the past week.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
What I meant by the discrimination comment was there are certain movements (i.e feminism) that in their attempt in creating equality and safe spaces can at times attack the "privileged" white male for having everything to the point where it demonizes them. A fair amount of them can be ignorant bigots, but for those who genuinely want equality can feel unease because people are going on about white privilege and how they ruin everything. You can weigh the troubles of the minorities against the white male and the minorities still have far and away more troubles, but isn't the point of equality to not have to have slights caused by skin/gender/faith? To not put roof over a people say it's their fault for what a handful of people did? Now I'm not saying all people in said movements attack people like that, I am saying this stuff exists and we should aknowledge it if we truly want equality.
Also for the record, I'm a black Muslim male who has had friends in many ethnic groups and I am sorry for any trouble I may have caused for not elaborating sooner.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
the belief that political opinions are an inherently held belief that has intrinsic value as long as you believe in it is one of the failings of american democracy

just because you believe something does not make it valid. just because you hold a stance does not make it morally acceptable. there is no "agreeing to disagree" when the stances held deny the basic humanity of others or perpetuate basic hateful falsehood. politcal opinions are not, should not, and cannot be immutable.

this statement is unrelated to your previously quoted statement but if the shoe fits then so be it
quoting this for posterity

Lizalfos

Smash Master

Nope. He acknowledges racism, but also believes that individuals can mistreat individuals. He has a broader view of what qualifies as discrimination, including minute cases. I'm almost certain you both agree about the practical application of your beliefs, and I will believe so until you show otherwise with a specific example.

Also, moral reasoning is ultimately based on gut feeling, so things are given value by belief. That's why we all use the Oxford comma.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Yeah basically. Gotta see things holistically my ninjas 8-)

Also I while ago I think I ******* about being scared I was never gonna get a job- I got one! :> It's entry level and tedious but hey I won't have my college debt hanging over my head for too long.

Last edited:

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
wiiztec wiiztec
If you wish to appeal your ban on the PM subreddit, I suggest you speak privately with its moderators and not here. I am not a moderator of the subreddit.

To all users, please discontinue discussion of bans unrelated to Smashboards or I will have to warn/infract accordingly. ^_^
When did you leave the mod team there?

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Nope. He acknowledges racism, but also believes that individuals can mistreat individuals. He has a broader view of what qualifies as discrimination, including minute cases. I'm almost certain you both agree about the practical application of your beliefs, and I will believe so until you show otherwise with a specific example.

Also, moral reasoning is ultimately based on gut feeling, so things are given value by belief. That's why we all use the Oxford comma.
"morality" is a tool of the bourgeoisie

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
There are better uses for one's mind than the stupid nihilistic garbage that's been getting spouted in here.

...I used to do that too, so I would know.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
In other words, you're gonna get to do this fairly often:
?

:^)

Last edited:

Rᴏb

So can we all just take a moment and agree that Fox is the most """honest""" character in PM and Melee ??

Rᴏb

by druggedfox's definition every character is honest because "that's just the way the game is"
No no no, you see, in traditional fighters "honesty" is generally strongly related to how "earned" something is. Fox simply earned his 1 frame invincible jump cancelable frame trap safe on blocsiofi souhebek hakowheoenebdud

I don't know why good players saying **** like this still surprises me, but it does.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
No no no, you see, in traditional fighters "honesty" is generally strongly related to how "earned" something is. Fox simply earned his 1 frame invincible jump cancelable frame trap safe on blocsiofi souhebek hakowheoenebdud

I don't know why good players saying **** like this still surprises me, but it does.
if you move enough goalposts, anything can be said to be earned or not

meanwhile samus isn't an honest character because you can't combo her

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol i still dont get why melee players feel the need to defend their chars. Characters have cheap ****, if they didn't they wouldn't be very fun to use.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Caring about whether a character is "honest" or "fair" or anything like that is for scrubs who are too wimpy to git gud. Use the grimy stuff, pick a top tier, learn from your mistakes, and win.

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I like low tier heroes myself; I never think they'll win the whole thing, but I love seeing dedication out of love moreso than of victory.

Not that you can't get that with a top tier, but I sincerely doubt every Melee Fox or Brawl Meta Knight play them out of love

ilysm

sleepy
So, I don't get a lot of the negativity directed towards low-tier mains. At best it seems like it's just kinda trying to hard to be edgy, and at worst it seems like a kind of self-superior condescension that's completely unwarranted given the skill level of a lot of the players that loudly profess to hate low-tier mains.

But I could be just not understanding it fully. So what's the deal? Why the dislike?

Last edited:
Top Bottom