• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
tfw had to use ****ty website to change my picture because I didn't bring my computer and it doesn't even look right.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know that there is a majority that harps on X and Y for being a bad game.
I'd say it's a vocal minority but it mostly consists of players who have played previous games in the series

It's mostly people who want to see pokemon grow rather than regress though. I agree with the sentiment a little bit because there's a lot of things that this game should of had nailed down right from X and Y. Proper endgame content has already been established in previous iterations so we know they have a good idea of how to do it. They just opted not to do it for whatever reason.

One might argue that It's not their obligation to put in older content and that is true, but it does cause dissatisfaction in a reasonable sized portion of their consumers. That being said, it does no harm to put it in the game as the core of Pokemon remains intact. More fans are satisfied, newer players get a better challenge, and people in general will play the game longer. These good experiences might also lead to fans being more enticed to buy later products because of the impressions the game left on them.

I can't say it's a bad game myself though because it has a good variety of Pokemon in its region, a decent amount of content, tons of fun activities like PR videos and Amie, It introduced EVs in a simple way to everyone with super training which helps people to train their pokemon properly. Reset bags exist as well if you make mistakes on EVs. Breeding process was simplified heavily thanks to the destiny knot.

There's just not many chances for challenging battles unless you're playing online or with friends.

that's because there's not

the series remains popular and profitable because it doesn't pander directly to moron twenty-something Gamers™ that are incapable of understanding that they are not the center of the universe
The series does remain popular and profitable. There's plenty of people who will buy it regardless of what it does have or what it doesn't. Just because it's successful and popular doesn't mean we can't provide valid criticisms about the content or lack thereof.

It's a really good thing that the initial adventure is easier for people. Pokemon can be tough for younger players and there is no reason the main story should be designed with the difficulty that will give veterans a challenge because then younger players are likely to become extremely frustrated with the experience.

However the endgame content provided in earlier entries in the series eased players into learning more efficient strategies and becoming better at the game overall. Veterans of the series were also provided with stellar challenges. It also provided unique challenges that made playing alone more interesting as well. The battle frontier and PWT also served as a place for players to hone their skills before jumping into battles with their friends. It's the best place to try out new strategies on level playing fields that the main game cannot provide.

The battle maison does this as well, but lacks the variety that the battle frontier has which can lead to the experience becoming stagnant for both new and returning players. The PWT is more similar to the battle maison, but the tournament styled 3 matches is more appealing than a 20 or 50 consecutive win battle challenge to fight the battle chatelaines.

inb4bleckposting

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I'd say it's a vocal minority but it mostly consists of players who have played previous games in the series

It's mostly people who want to see pokemon grow rather than regress though. I agree with the sentiment a little bit because there's a lot of things that this game should of had nailed down right from X and Y. Proper endgame content has already been established in previous iterations so we know they have a good idea of how to do it. They just opted not to do it for whatever reason.

One might argue that It's not their obligation to put in older content and that is true, but it does cause dissatisfaction in a reasonable sized portion of their consumers. That being said, it does no harm to put it in the game as the core of Pokemon remains intact. More fans are satisfied, newer players get a better challenge, and people in general will play the game longer. These good experiences might also lead to fans being more enticed to buy later products because of the impressions the game left on them.

I can't say it's a bad game myself though because it has a good variety of Pokemon in its region, a decent amount of content, tons of fun activities like PR videos and Amie, It introduced EVs in a simple way to everyone with super training which helps people to train their pokemon properly. Reset bags exist as well if you make mistakes on EVs. Breeding process was simplified heavily thanks to the destiny knot.

There's just not many chances for challenging battles unless you're playing online or with friends.

The series does remain popular and profitable. There's plenty of people who will buy it regardless of what it does have or what it doesn't. Just because it's successful and popular doesn't mean we can't provide valid criticisms about the content or lack thereof.

It's a really good thing that the initial adventure is easier for people. Pokemon can be tough for younger players and there is no reason the main story should be designed with the difficulty that will give veterans a challenge because then younger players are likely to become extremely frustrated with the experience.

However the endgame content provided in earlier entries in the series eased players into learning more efficient strategies and becoming better at the game overall. Veterans of the series were also provided with stellar challenges. It also provided unique challenges that made playing alone more interesting as well. The battle frontier and PWT also served as a place for players to hone their skills before jumping into battles with their friends. It's the best place to try out new strategies on level playing fields that the main game cannot provide.

The battle maison does this as well, but lacks the variety that the battle frontier has which can lead to the experience becoming stagnant for both new and returning players. The PWT is more similar to the battle maison, but the tournament styled 3 matches is more appealing than a 20 or 50 consecutive win battle challenge to fight the battle chatelaines.

inb4bleckposting
dammit, you're going to trigger him again, man.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
dammit, you're going to trigger him again, man.
Normally I'd avoid posting against bleck since I don't like the match-up.

But Pokemon stadium is a great counterpick against bleck and the only place where I'll take this normally 50/50 match-up, every time.

Bleck

Smash Master
I'm actually not disagreeing with any criticisms of the post-game in the more recent games

I just think there's a difference between "the post-game in XY was lacking" and "XY was a chore and a waste of time and so bad how dare Nintendo not make the game Super Hard now that I'm the ripe and mature age of 19 or whatever"

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm actually not disagreeing with any criticisms of the post-game in the more recent games

I just think there's a difference between "the post-game in XY was lacking" and "XY was a chore and a waste of time and so bad how dare Nintendo not make the game Super Hard now that I'm the ripe and mature age of 19 or whatever"
My waifu also doubles as my lawyer.
lel.png

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The thing is that the only thing that X and Y were objectively lacking compared their predecessors was a proper endgame. Otherwise, aside from not taking advantage of some exploration elements (which is subjective anyway), I don't think X and Y were any less of a Pokemon game than others were. Most of the complaints to me seem more like personal gripes than anything else.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The thing is that the only thing that X and Y were objectively lacking compared their predecessors was a proper endgame. Otherwise, aside from not taking advantage of some exploration elements (which is subjective anyway), I don't think X and Y were any less of a Pokemon game than others were. Most of the complaints to me seem more like personal gripes than anything else.
I agree with that hence this portion of my post.
To reiterate, other than the endgame content, it provided quite the experience. I put 170 hours into the game and I've only done 3 maison challenges personally.

ORAS on the other hand felt like it had even less than X and Y.

Most of the complaints to me seem more like personal gripes than anything else.
The complaints about the experience are really augmented by the lack of endgame content to most people.

The EXP share was the item that really made the main game a lot easier, but from an endgame perspective the EXP share is the best thing because it makes training pokemon significantly easier. However, without comparable content to use these trained pokemon in, the EXP share is only looked at as a bad thing (Loss of challenge in main story)

I honestly wish the maison wasn't so boring. I know that's just an opinion but holy ****, it was really boring. Having content that isn't really fun doesn't make training worth it, to me at least. I feel the same way about breeding as well. All of these amazing things to make getting stronger more streamlined and easier are just going to waste because of the lacking endgame content.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Also here to contribute as Hylian the Hedgehog. Do not steal. Tis an original concept.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Pretty much what Strong Bad said. You used the Exp Share because one of your team members was either underleveled, or just useless until it evolved like Magikarp or Abra. You can raise them up strong with the new one as well, but then everybody else gets stronger too, so they're still behind in level. It makes raising Pokes in challenge runs a pain in the ass too, since you know if you use it, you'll end up overleveled as hell and defeat the purpose of doing one.

Long live Hylian Day.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
I remember playing through Gen4 when I was in middle school and getting incredibly mad with how hard it was

In particular I remember there was a dark cave dungeon filled with trainers with dumb **** like a Blissey with light screen, healing wish and like 1 or 2 moves that lower accuracy which is already low because of the cave environment. I remember spending like an hour or two throwing out moves, and having them miss because the chance of hitting was crazy low. If I got the Blissey to low hp it would just healing wish and id have to do this constantly. Never bought/used any performance enhancing drugs because I was dumb and was trying to save them because I hated using consumables(I have some bad experiences with JRPG's with them before so I always wanted to save in the case I ran into something where I would truly need it). Didn't have any moves that had a 100% chance to hit either.

Since then I have seriously feared Nintendo making a hard pokemon game because I feel like it would be filled with stupid annoying **** like that. I don't want a Pokemon game where there's a chance to run into something like that ever again.

Edit: Turns out healing wish doesn't heal and Blissey doesn't have any healing moves maybe

But I definitely remember the Blissey having some form of health regeneration that was incredibly annoying. Might have been leftovers screwing me over but either way my point stands that it was stupidly dumb

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
The Blissey was most likely using Softboiled. Evasion / accuracy trainers are a freaking nightmare in-game, especially in places like the Battle Tower. Also

Never bought/used any performance enhancing drugs because I was dumb
lmao

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
The best moments of Pokemon come from hardships though. Platinum was the first one I owned and I'll probably never forget my two first E4 runs, the first of which I make it to Cynthia but use all my healing items on the way and then get destroyed by Spiritomb. That was also my first time seeing a Magmortar against the fire guy, I was too hyped since I didn't know Magmar had a new evolution and he was one of my favorites as a kid.
The second time I'd went and caught myself a Magmar and been terribly disappointed when he hadn't evolved even at level 70 so I had come to the conclusion that it was one of those fabled trade-only evolutions that I so hated since I had no way of getting them. Anyhow, the team made up of the new recruits of Magmar a Gardevoir that I'd caught in hopes of getting a Gallade but hadn't realize it was male only added to the veteran team of Gyarados, Torterra, Lucario and Togekiss made short work of the first guy, and had no real trouble with the others either. Tracing Flints Flareon's Flash fire with Gardevoir was awesome at the time. Cynthia really turned up the heat though, even if Moomoo milk had kept my team in tiip-top shape. At the time I hadn't realized to try to get bosses to waste their healing items on their worse mons, so she got like 3 full healths' worths of Garchomp, and I had no super effective moves against it either. I had to use all my revives to get rid of it. In the end I won but the match was close.

So the point I guess is...

Kids may not appreciate the challenge the way adults do, but the experiences it brings forth will stick with them. No one will bash their head on a brick wall as hard as a kid that's fallen in love with a game. I'd like to think I'd know, me and my friend had more than 30 hours clocked into Windwaker on Dragon Roost Island before entering the dungeon, since we didn't know how to present items to people and exhausted our non-english reading minds trying to come up with ways to make anything happen. My favorite has got to be using a possession pear to use a seagull to bait the helmaroc-eagle close to Link to kill it. lol.

I can't wait till I'm 70. My ramblings will be the toppest of top tier.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
holy ****, awesome : O
I remember playing through Gen4 when I was in middle school and getting incredibly mad with how hard it was

In particular I remember there was a dark cave dungeon filled with trainers with dumb **** like a Blissey with light screen, healing wish and like 1 or 2 moves that lower accuracy which is already low because of the cave environment. I remember spending like an hour or two throwing out moves, and having them miss because the chance of hitting was crazy low. If I got the Blissey to low hp it would just healing wish and id have to do this constantly. Never bought/used any performance enhancing drugs because I was dumb and was trying to save them because I hated using consumables(I have some bad experiences with JRPG's with them before so I always wanted to save in the case I ran into something where I would truly need it). Didn't have any moves that had a 100% chance to hit either.

Since then I have seriously feared Nintendo making a hard pokemon game because I feel like it would be filled with stupid annoying **** like that. I don't want a Pokemon game where there's a chance to run into something like that ever again.

Edit: Turns out healing wish doesn't heal and Blissey doesn't have any healing moves maybe

But I definitely remember the Blissey having some form of health regeneration that was incredibly annoying. Might have been leftovers screwing me over but either way my point stands that it was stupidly dumb
was it soft boiled? chansey has that (or something similarly named) so i can't imagine blissey being unable to get it.

Top Bottom