• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Tarul

Smash Cadet
Well, growing the scene's going to be a lot harder now...

Is there anyway that Knuckles and Lyn could be released?

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
On the bright side, they didn't stop at 3.02.
Honestly, the damn thing was so sudden it still doesn't register.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm sorry.

I'm really really sorry.

I don't blame anyone.

It just hurts.
Well ,if you need to talk to someone, feel free to ask. I'm sure we'll all understand, we're all drawn here regularly by emotion and passion.

I have a bit of hope for the future, mostly cause you guys are a bunch of crazy fellows who won't disappear I'm sure. But this is really shocking and really sad news, and I'm still taking it all in, myself.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'd be willing to take all liabilities and fines unto myself if it meant the truth could get out without any danger to anyone involved in making PM or wavedash games or whatever.

"Yes... Yes, I am prepared to go all the way, my good admiral."

At least, I hope I would be so courageous if given the chance.

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Well I've made myself into a liar but I can't help but be a little put off by some people's reactions. Ending a project like this can't be an easy decision, and I think they freaking deserve it if it means moving forward with something else. You can still enjoy the final product of it and these are guys that have spent years making something all of us love; they at least deserve a bit of understanding on the decision.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I remember talking to wobbles in a random twitch chat about air dash online in 2012

it was really cool. in hindsight, it was also really guaranteed to fail

if this is true, I don't think "the game that offed project m" is gonna end up too well

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
If this is truly the end, just like in the video I posted, it's been a privilege playing with and talking with you all. But I will never give up hope.

Cheers, and long live Project M!

Lizalfos

Smash Master
That is a best case. Then we could pick up the pieces, call it Picasso: Masterpiece, and not feel bad for dredging up something against PMDT's will.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It fits well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uQzXyujI

Terran forces on the ground = Project M
DuGalle and Stukov = Wavedash / PMDT slightly
Dialogue about seeing what the Zerg can actually do and going all the way = You get the idea.

Not perfectly, of course...

Last edited:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna say that I love all you nerds from the bottom of my heart. It's been a wild ride. From 3.0's youthful exuberance to 3.5 more restrained sensibilities, Project M's always been at the center of my little universe. It's what brought 8 high-schoolers to my house every Friday to ***** about character nerfs and swoon over alt costumes. It's what drove me to practice late into the night, and early into the morning in the hopes of one day being regarded as something more than "trash". It's what pushed me to travel outside my usual circle of friends, to different circles, even to different cities, just to play with new people.

And of all the places, It brought me here.
I was young. And scared. And desperately wanted to be liked by people who enjoyed the game as much as I did.
So I watched, and listened. Learned all of the "Matchups" of the PM Social thread.
And started talking to people.
My first like was from @MechWarriorNY , a kindness I shall never forget
I tried learning squirtle, only to be pushed away by a jaded @PlateProp
I made V-day cards.
Bad photoshops of @Kaye Cruiser.
Genuine inquiries in the character threads, and lazy ****posts in the tier list threads.
But most importantly, I got to see what made PM so unique: The community.
The same people that attended tournaments
and studied matchups
and streamed
and labbed
and made costumes
were HERE.
Talking. Sharing. Learning.
And I'm grateful that, even for a little while, I got to be a part of that.
You guys/girls are the ones who listened to my fruitless romantic endeavors
liked my dumb photoshops
you shared your vast wealth of
reaction images
and future funk
and opinions on japanese culture

And no matter what kind of day I was having,
no matter how many times I got rejected,
or wished I see my dad more,
there'd always be an unread message in the PM Social thread.

And for that, I thank you. All of you.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I doubt its wavedash. There's no way they would announce things like the new skins and work on characters like lyn knuckles and isaac for years without releasing them first, unless there was some legal emergency.

They wouldn't just "up and quit" unless there was a really good reason like a legal reason.

Zoa

Smash Ace
My levels of salt are real. They're pretty much overflowing. Whatever though. Thanks for creating my favorite Smash, PMDT. You guys are the real MVP. I appreciate all the work you peeps did. On a side note:

TIME TO ADAPT BOIZ!

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
wavedash games were never all of PMDT. that's the point of that quickly-deleted SSBPM post, even, most of the PMDT had little to no clue

again, half-answers hiding behind the lawyer. it's fair enough from them, judicial systems are scary and whatnot, but it certainly makes any response frustrating to deal with because it feels as miserable as dead silence

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
point stands even if it's not PMDT
dunno why they'd let someone use PM/brawl assets for a new game and put both at risk
or why PMDT would disband to save wavedash games' asses
naturally rather than give a clear answer, they'd rather leave us floundering around in the dark, so I'm going to continue assuming the worst until everyone believe it and somebody snaps and gives some info

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I just wanna say that I love all you nerds from the bottom of my heart. It's been a wild ride. From 3.0's youthful exuberance to 3.5 more restrained sensibilities, Project M's always been at the center of my little universe. It's what brought 8 high-schoolers to my house every Friday to ***** about character nerfs and swoon over alt costumes. It's what drove me to practice late into the night, and early into the morning in the hopes of one day being regarded as something more than "trash". It's what pushed me to travel outside my usual circle of friends, to different circles, even to different cities, just to play with new people.

And of all the places, It brought me here.
I was young. And scared. And desperately wanted to be liked by people who enjoyed the game as much as I did.
So I watched, and listened. Learned all of the "Matchups" of the PM Social thread.
And started talking to people.
My first like was from @MechWarriorNY , a kindness I shall never forget
I tried learning squirtle, only to be pushed away by a jaded @PlateProp
I made V-day cards.
Bad photoshops of @Kaye Cruiser.
Genuine inquiries in the character threads, and lazy ****posts in the tier list threads.
But most importantly, I got to see what made PM so unique: The community.
The same people that attended tournaments
and studied matchups
and streamed
and labbed
and made costumes
were HERE.
Talking. Sharing. Learning.
And I'm grateful that, even for a little while, I got to be a part of that.
You guys/girls are the ones who listened to my fruitless romantic endeavors
liked my dumb photoshops
you shared your vast wealth of
reaction images
and future funk
and opinions on japanese culture

And no matter what kind of day I was having,
no matter how many times I got rejected,
or wished I see my dad more,
there'd always be an unread message in the PM Social thread.

And for that, I thank you. All of you.
It's gonna sound sad as **** that I remember you talking about those romantic endeavors, ain't it? Those were cute stories, youth is always a beautiful thing.

I'm glad this thread did a lot for you and I'm glad I was even just a part of a little bit of it.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If this is truly the end, just like in the video I posted, it's been a privilege playing with and talking with you all. But I will never give up hope.

Cheers, and long live Project M!

I'm gonna keep this as my sig for a very long time. ;-;

xLithiumx

Smash Cadet
What kinda crap is this?

Me: *won a PM doubles tourney my school hosted* Today was a good day. *PMDT disbands* Today was not a good day....

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if they're being gagged, that means they can't touch on much with any remote relevancy

also, this likely means that none of the development source code pmdt swore up and down they'd release for years will come out. thanks, wavedash games

Zynux

Smash Lord
It's best to keep your spaghetti in your pockets before jumping to conclusions. In the coming weeks and months I'm sure answers will come out and revelations will be revealed.

That said, you don't just shut down everything and nuke all downloads without notice while giving vague/incomplete/dodging answers and expect people to not see what's going on. To some who were ever suspicious, these turn of events will be used as confirmation of their perceived suspicions. So expect tons of theories and drama.

The coming weeks will be interesting and I'm going to withhold judgement till then.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
if they're being gagged, that means they can't touch on much with any remote relevancy

also, this likely means that none of the development source code pmdt swore up and down they'd release for years will come out. thanks, wavedash games
Information wants to be free. This isn't something I'd worry about.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Flash retired:(
sc2 dad gayme

No but seriously LotV is going to die fast when the shiny newness wears off, I think.
I go on teamliquid and it seems more of the news is pros retiring or resigning, and the stream numbers have more people watching Brood War but...
At least the campaign is good. Not the writing, though.

Edit: Flash is Brood War player
Brood War also in decline.
Blizzard pls

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
who's ready for the yet-to-be-planned announcement of a Revival of PM tournament in like three months?

I know nothing, but I'm betting that somebody is going to host one

smash n splash is hosting PM in june, we still have majors

Tarul

Smash Cadet
sc2 dad gayme

No but seriously LotV is going to die fast when the shiny newness wears off, I think.
I go on teamliquid and it seems more of the news is pros retiring or resigning, and the stream numbers have more people watching Brood War but...
At least the campaign is good. Not the writing, though.

Edit: Flash is Brood War player
Brood War also in decline.
Blizzard pls
Blizzard has Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm now. I'm pretty sure they're preparing for the death of Starcraft. Perhaps we'll even see a new Warcraft?

Back to PM:

I am frustrated with the Dev team. While I am extremely grateful for the hard work that they've put into this game, they've ALWAYS sucked at being transparent. Remember 3.5's release? That got delayed for days without any substantial updates. They tried to hype up the community by posting that teaser about Wavedash games, and then let rumors start flying like crazy without stepping in to stop the speculation when it got unreasonable.

So, yes, I'm a little bitter at PMDT. They've done an amazing job with the game, and PM is my favorite competitive game. But their PR department? It's always been pretty bad, and this is no exception.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
at the very least somebody should fix the bugs in this version and release it as a final "unofficial but official" version

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
They went out in the worst way possible thats the only things that bothers me. They could have at least gave one last final build only if it was the tiniest of tweaks or just the skins they didn't deliver on their promises and thats always the worst thing you can do.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"but MELEE CAN GET BETTER IN A BIND, why can't PM????"

melee had support. even when it was supposed to be dead by brawl's hand, the numbers difference wasn't that massive.

PM has scenes several thousand times its size wanting it dead. PM streamers have been kicked out of the one major streaming service in town, TOs (bless em btw, most transparent ppl when it came to these things) have pretty bluntly stated PM's mere existence raises questions from sponsors

melee had a shoutout from the grandpappy of fighting game events, PM can't even be talked about by a top smash player without people's anxieties spiking. melee can become one of the most highly-ranked competitive games of the current era, PM has an artificial plateau that guarantees it can never succeed in any notable manner.

I'm not gonna say its death is certain. it's clear from this thread alone, PM's community is far too stubborn to ever die that quickly. but don't underestimate the absolute miserable standards they're dealing with by comparison

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
They went out in the worst way possible thats the only things that bothers me. They could have at least gave one last final build only if it was the tiniest of tweaks or just the skins they didn't deliver on their promises and thats always the worst thing you can do.
We don't have all the details - it may not have been possible to do that, for reasons. Cut them some slack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom