• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
No way I haven't slept in forever. Bags under my eyes for days. So selfie train tonight

So I was working on shai drops, turns out in pm you HAVE to light shield or else you get an airdodge or spot dodge. Its strange, the same input when light shielding shai drops and when hard press wavelands you down.
This was one of the many posts left in the Convo I tried to invite you into, but it had a user cap so Chess made a Group: which he hasn't backed up the Convo into it.
The term "Platform warp" seems fine!
About the Platform Cancel (which I sometimes refer to as dropcancel, so if I accidentally do it now you know what I mean), I have a list on moves that can Platform cancel in PM:
Falco's back-air
Falco's down-air
Fox' back-air
Link's neutral-air
Luigi's back-air
Luigi's neutral
Luigi's up-air
Mario's up-air
Marth's forward-air
Marth's up-air
Samus' neutral-air
Sheik's neutral-air
Squirtle's up-air
Yoshi's neutral-air

Lucario's down air has the same effect, but for a different reason, and it doesn't cancel instantly, so it is up to you whether to count it or not.

In regards to possible platform warps I am very inexperienced.

Because of weird ECBs, Falco's nair doesn't need hitlag to land on the platform again, however, you land before the hitbox comes out, so it has probably no application. I didn't test all but some close candidates and I think it is the only move in the game with that property.

In PM, every character can platform drop->air dodge and land on the platform if executed frame-perfect. So platform drop->WD is also possible (for characters with long jumpsquat this could be useful).

Also as question at everyone, should I change the title of the conversation as the topics in the title are not the only topics in the conversation anymore. If yes, please suggest a title.
cus of the physics delay or somethin

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
This was one of the many posts left in the Convo I tried to invite you into, but it had a user cap so Chess made a Group: which he hasn't backed up the Convo into it.

cus of the physics delay or somethin
Its really really weird to me how a light shield gives a drop and a hard press gives a spot dodge/airdodge depending on how you perform the drop

The world isn't ready for my shai drop z drop egg drop soup combo meal combos

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Its really really weird to me how a light shield gives a drop and a hard press gives a spot dodge/airdodge depending on how you perform the drop

The world isn't ready for my shai drop z drop egg drop soup combo meal combos
Record your screen and controller. You're FA'ing right?

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I just hijacked the SA PM facebook group

change name to doge worship

doges everywhere

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Record your screen and controller. You're FA'ing right?
Should I just make a post of my explorations? I'll just dump it here. Dont have my setup up but I can explain it, I basically went through the melee shai drop inputs in FA and checked to see what happened and stuff

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Should I just make a post of my explorations? I'll just dump it here. Dont have my setup up but I can explain it, I basically went through the melee shai drop inputs in FA and checked to see what happened and stuff
I guess, you ************

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
oh been meaning to say this
@ PandaPanda Senketsu PandaPanda Senketsu are you sure lucky isn't socal's best player lol
he's the only one with a winning record against sethlon
and IPK is the only other one who did even decent at aftershock
I'm not TX so idgaf either way but it seems like you guys majorly underrated TX lol

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
He could just permab& you and it'd all vanish.
:^)

Also, I think humans should be forced to peacefully coexist and troublemakers offed as a general rule.
April Fools.
...Somewhat.

Last edited:

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
So I was working on shai drops, turns out in pm you HAVE to light shield or else you get an airdodge or spot dodge. Its strange, the same input when light shielding shai drops and when hard press wavelands you down.
This is because shield dropping places you in the air on frame one, and pressing shield in the air causes you to airdodge. Light pressing circumvents this because it doesn't trigger airdodge. If you hold shield for at least one frame before trying to drop, it will work even while hard pressing shield.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So I was given a blazer and a brim hat as a going away present and then was made to take pictures of me wearing both with the new purple shirt I got myself.

Welp @Blazing Ambition, I've given you new ammo. You know what must be done.

Imma play more Ganon.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I guess, you mother****er
so this is just a copy paste from Shai's thread:

I only did methods 1-2 before my brother came into my room and wanted to play a bit
Method 1

This method was only limitedly described in the previous thread, so I don't know whether anyone knows about this, but in any case, I believe it is the easiest. With a little practice it is not hard to do this with excellent consistency. In this method, during a dash or run, you press and hold down and then shield within a 2-frame window. If you shield too soon you will spot dodge and if you shield too late you will just shield. The reason this works is because you can input a shield drop during the first 4 frames of pressing down, and you input a spot dodge during the first 2 frames. Spot dodge takes priority when both functions are defined, so this leaves the last 2 frames where you can drop but not spot dodge. In my opinion the timing is easiest if you let the stick return to neutral before pressing down, but it's not necessary.

For turn-around dashes the timing is the same, so you can start pressing down as soon as you turn around, even in the pivot stance.

Here is the exact frame data.

Method 2
Frame 0 - down + shield = spot dodge

Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down + shield = spot dodge

Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down
Frame 2 - down + shield = spot dodge

Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down
Frame 2 - down
Frame 3 - down + shield = shield
Frame 4 - down + shield = drop

Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down
Frame 2 - down
Frame 3 - down
Frame 4 - down + shield = shield
Frame 5 - down + shield = drop

Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down
Frame 2 - down
Frame 3 - down
Frame 4 - down
Frame 5 - down + shield = shield
Frame 6 - down + shield = shield (no drop)

This is the method I reported in the original thread. This is the fastest way to drop through a platform. If timed right you can pass through on the second available frame. However, this method is highly dependent on your control stick registering a true neutral position when the console is powered on. With some controllers it may not be possible at all, due to the stick not being centered, and with others it may be possible but hard to do consistently. This method is easiest with newer controllers, and with sticks in good condition.

To use this method, from a dash or run, quickly put the stick in the SE or SW position (the direction you are facing) and hold shield. You must do EXACTLY SE or SW. Too far down and you spot dodge, too far up and you just shield. You will drop through in 2 - 6 frames depending on the timing of the shield. It is not too difficult to drop on the second available frame if your controller is in good condition.

The reason this method works is because rolling and shield drop, but not spot dodge, are both defined at the SE and SW vertices. Ordinarily the SE and SW vertices will cause a roll, not a shield drop, as rolling has higher priority. BUT rolling requires a neutral or non-forward control stick position on the previous frame, and here we are continually holding a direction considered forward, which prevents rolling. Hence rolling is not possible here, so you will drop through the platform instead. NOTE: You must wait 3 frames or more from the start of an initial dash from standing before you start the Shai drop, to avoid rolling. See the section on rolling for roll frame details.

For turn-around dashes you must wait 1 additional frame for the roll priority to go away, since otherwise the previous frame would not have met the criteria for stopping a roll (stick was in opposite direction frame before pivot stance, so you can't do Method 2 starting on pivot frame, but must wait 1 frame).

Here is the exact frame data. It's assumed you are running to the right here. For running left replace SE with SW.

Frame 0 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 1 - SE + shield = drop

Frame 0 - SE
Frame 1 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 2 - SE + shield = drop

Frame 0 - SE
Frame 1 - SE
Frame 2 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 3 - SE + shield = drop

Frame 0 - SE
Frame 1 - SE
Frame 2 - SE
Frame 3 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 4 - SE + shield = drop

Frame 0 - SE
Frame 1 - SE
Frame 2 - SE
Frame 3 - SE
Frame 4 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 5 - SE + shield = drop

Frame 0 - SE
Frame 1 - SE
Frame 2 - SE
Frame 3 - SE
Frame 4 - SE
Frame 5 - SE + shield = shield
Frame 6 - SE + shield = shield (no drop)

What I found was that method 1 was different by a frame, but method 2 worked identically except you had to light-press or you'd always get a spot dodge.

By different by a frame I mean that the instance like this:
Frame 0 - down
Frame 1 - down
Frame 2 - down
Frame 3 - down + shield = shield
Frame 4 - down + shield = drop

There wasn't a frame of shielding for frame 3 when I pressed the lightshield, I just began the drop. If I hard pressed I'd get an air-dodge on that frame instead.

I was struggling really hard to do a single shai drop until i realized I had to light-shield and then I hit them very consistently.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
This is because shield dropping places you in the air on frame one, and pressing shield in the air causes you to airdodge. Light pressing circumvents this because it doesn't trigger airdodge. If you hold shield for at least one frame before trying to drop, it will work even while hard pressing shield.
This seems really strange to me tbh, I get why it works like that but its strange that hard press will cause both a drop and an airdodge on the same frame.

Eitherway I'm working on light-pressing more things anyway(L cancels, popgun/needle cancels) so this definitely helps more than just shai-drops. If lightshielding saves me a frame, that frame of movement could save me from losing a set.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
@ PandaPanda Senketsu PandaPanda Senketsu are you sure lucky isn't socal's best player lol
I'm not TX so idgaf either way but it seems like you guys majorly underrated TX lol
I think any player that understands anything about anything is well aware that Sethlon played super bad vs Lucky. If you just compare level of play to his Aftershock gameplay they are worlds apart, it's quite obvious.

Last edited:

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
This seems really strange to me tbh, I get why it works like that but its strange that hard press will cause both a drop and an airdodge on the same frame.

Eitherway I'm working on light-pressing more things anyway(L cancels, popgun/needle cancels) so this definitely helps more than just shai-drops. If lightshielding saves me a frame, that frame of movement could save me from losing a set.
If you really want to be optimal, there is a small window when you press down that will allow you to shield drop on frame one. This window is between the spot dodge window and the crouch window. I believe that it was added in brawl and can't be done in Melee.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you really want to be optimal, there is a small window when you press down that will allow you to shield drop on frame one. This window is between the spot dodge window and the crouch window. I believe that it was added in brawl and can't be done in Melee.
I'll look into that tomorrow. Light-shielding it is also just a lot easier for me to do, I just dash, roll my stick to the shield drop position and light shield and bam

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
I dont know who the best in socal is anymore, im not sure if anyone really dominates the region. I stick mainly to the av anyways so i wouldnt know.

And yo Texas is overrated, cant wait for that crew battle, texas is gon be FAH-REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
why the **** was there no mention of the CB series blu ray finally being released back in decemeber ??

i trusted you guys with anime and you nerds **** all over that trust :(((

Top Bottom