• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M: Remix - WIP

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366

Hey guys, I've been working on my own build of Project M for about a month now and I'm looking for this to be a bit of a community effort. While I love Project M, I feel not enough has been done with it artistically. Project M is basically a brand new SSB game and I think it needs to look the part. I'm looking to make this look as professional looking as possible, so I want community feedback on what you guys want. Here are the things I'm looking to change:

- HUD - Hamyojo's and Shun_one's Circle Stock HUD​
- Battle Portraits - Shun_one's Pixel Battle Portraits​
- CSPs - My AbyssWolf Pixel CSPs​
- CSS - RoyalSyrup's Pixel CSS​
- Result Screen Portraits - My Abysswolf Pixel CSPs​
- Custom Soundtrack​

Possibilities:

- New Stages

Classic Expansion Pack​
Bowser's Castle over Mario Circuit​
Euasia City - Broken Highway over Flat Zone 2​
Outset Island over Pirate Ship​
Mushroom Kingdom M over Shadow Moses Island​
Great Desert M over Pictochat​
Mewtwo's Stadium M over Big Blue​
Reworked versions of stages made to be more competitive​
More Stages TBA!​

- (Kinda) New Characters

DISCLAIMER: These characters are simply model swaps. They are NOT given PSAs and do NOT replace the character they're replacing's moveset.

Skyward Sword Link over Link + all recolors​
Skyloft Zelda over Zelda + all recolors​
Melee/Brawl fox Hybrid over Fox + all recolors​
Assault Falco over Falco + all recolors​
Awakening Marth over Marth + all recolors​
Mr. L over Luigi's Orange Recolor​
\Apples' Ganondorf Gerudo King of Thieves over Ganondorf + all recolors​
Dr. Mario over Mario's Black/White Recolor​
Dry Bowser over Bowser's Brown Recolor​
Shadow the Hedgehog over Sonic's Black Recolor​
Rosalina over Peach's White Recolor​
Shun_one Ike pack over Ike recolors​
DK w/ Boxing Gloves over Donkey Kong + all recolors​

- Support for Project Mars/Minty/Maritime for better recolors!

What I'm asking the community's feedback on:

- What music you want on each stage (No copyrighted music please, music from places like OC Remix or Metroid Metal are great though!)​
- What new characters you would want to see (No outlandish ideas like Goku over Marth or Sly Cooper over Fox, try to keep it to Nintendo franchises.)​
- What stages you guys would like to see​
- What stages you want replaced​

I will create a version for Gecko OS (with no custom characters or announcer) and a version for Riivolution (Including custom characters and announcer). Also, this build will NOT be Wifi safe. This is for offline use only. I repeat, DO NOT USE THIS PACK ONLINE. IT WILL USE THE FULL PROJECT M CODESET.

The pack will be released when I feel it is ready to be released. If you have any suggestions or would like to be involved in development, feel free to contact me here on Smashboards via Private Message.

Kati

Smash Lord
I would definitely leave out custom music and model swaps/vertexes for now. Also, while it would be nice to see in practice, the unified team colour project isn't making much progress these days.

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
I'm looking forward to this, specially for having the stage expansion pack.

I actually have a similar package, but i had some random freezing issues (after defraging the SD card and formating it, it seems that's fixed, but i'm still concerned) so i would really appreciate this one.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
You should probably try to get on board with the PM cast and offer them help & support
I don't see me getting much support from the PMBR. This is really just a set compilation of mods to enhance Project M. If it was all my work that I was adding and not a mix of mine and other people's, it might be a different story.
There's always music that no one will bother you over if you use it. For instance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q615yStySdM
http://youtu.be/1-nPUptjBtE?t=30m47s
This is true, thank you for the suggestion. However, I'm trying to keep the soundtrack to video game music remixes for now. I'm just trying to put a small twist on the current soundtrack.
I would definitely leave out custom music and model swaps/vertexes for now. Also, while it would be nice to see in practice, the unified team colour project isn't making much progress these days.
I understand your concern over the model swaps/textures, they will not be in the Gecko OS hackless build. But why no custom soundtrack? To me that's like half of this mod. And as far as the unified team colors go, it doesn't seem like progress is going THAT slowly. Maritime is literally 1 character away from being complete, Minty is already done, and it seems like a good amount of people are working on Mars.
(Trying to make me sound stupid)
Dude, chill out. I get that people have the idea that model swaps tend to affect the overall quality of a SSBB build negatively. But I'm really not trying to change too much. The characters that are being added aren't going to be half-assed. Link and Zelda will still be the same character, just updated to match their current looks. For Frog over Toon Link, I figured since Link was already in the game, it wouldn't be a big deal to replace him. I'm not replacing Toon Link gameplay wise. From my perspective, Toon Link mains should have no problem with Frog. The model really isn't that different, I don't think hitboxes would need to be changed. Frog would be about the same height as TLink and carries a similar sword so the TLink gameplay should still be in tact. He would have custom sound effects as well so it would be like Toon Link was never in the game. As far as Shulk over Ike, in hindsight it was a dumb idea. Shulk is too different from Ike. However I am considering doing Chrom from FE:A over Ike. They are a lot closer in terms of size and gameplay. And if you still really hate the idea of custom models, then you can always use the Gecko OS hackless pack considering they will not have them or the new announcer.

Thank you all for the feedback so far, I'll keep all of this in mind.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Honestly, this seems like a waste of time to me. And I'm not trying to be mean, but let's face it. It's better to let each individual person who plays Project M decide whether or not they want to use custom content that doesn't come with stock 2.5b, and if they do, they can choose what they want to implement. Things like texture recolor packs and stage packs are fine, because they're only changing one aspect of the game's aesthetics. There may be one or two textures or stages somebody may not like, and they can easily remove them. You, however, are attempting to combine all these different packages into one. Some people may not like one or more parts of this package, and Realize that there are not a lot of people out there who have the same taste and style that you do, and they might not be willing to download all of these. I speak from experience. I used to have a pack of stages and music after 2.1 came out, and only a few people downloaded my build. I realized that it's better to let individual people decide what they want and don't want.

Also, calling it "Pro Edition" is kind of offensive, since it implies that what the PMBR has put out isn't good enough quality to you. Especially since quality is one of the PMBR's main goals of Project M in the first place.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Honestly, this seems like a waste of time to me. And I'm not trying to be mean, but let's face it. It's better to let each individual person who plays Project M decide whether or not they want to use custom content that doesn't come with stock 2.5b, and if they do, they can choose what they want to implement. Things like texture recolor packs and stage packs are fine, because they're only changing one aspect of the game's aesthetics. There may be one or two textures or stages somebody may not like, and they can easily remove them. You, however, are attempting to combine all these different packages into one. Some people may not like one or more parts of this package, and Realize that there are not a lot of people out there who have the same taste and style that you do, and they might not be willing to download all of these. I speak from experience. I used to have a pack of stages and music after 2.1 came out, and only a few people downloaded my build. I realized that it's better to let individual people decide what they want and don't want.

Also, calling it "Pro Edition" is kind of offensive, since it implies that what the PMBR has put out isn't good enough quality to you. Especially since quality is one of the PMBR's main goals of Project M in the first place.
I completely understand your perspective. Everyone has their own style and I get that. I just wanted to make something of a "Community Pack". Something that someone new to the whole Project M modding scene can easily download and get an idea of what they can do with mods. And when I'm done with my pack, I will put a big spoiler tag at the bottom of the OP full of credits and links to all the custom content in the pack. That way if people see something they like in the pack, they can download it individually without the need to download the entire package.

And I mean absolutely no offense by using the name "Pro Edition", sorry if it came off that way to you. It's just kind of a basic name, it's subject to change. I'm in no way trying to disrespect what the PMBR are doing, they are doing a great job with everything they've done and I can't wait for their next release. I'm simply trying to make it better in my own way. If anyone has any better suggestions for a name, feel free to post it below or PM me.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
lol, I have shadow over black sonic too. I also have knuckles over red sonic, which I think is easily the sharpest looking sonic texture out there.

I also have melee versions of Fox, Falco, and Ganon. TL I have LttP recolors instead of his standard ones for red/blue/green, my DK recolors have Punch-Out boxing gloves on, Raichu over default pika, Rosalina over blue peach, Metroid Fusion ZSS recolors, Luigi has Mr. L recolors, and the white fire mario is Doc instead.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
lol, I have shadow over black sonic too. I also have knuckles over red sonic, which I think is easily the sharpest looking sonic texture out there.

I also have melee versions of Fox, Falco, and Ganon. TL I have LttP recolors instead of his standard ones for red/blue/green, my DK recolors have Punch-Out boxing gloves on, Raichu over default pika, Rosalina over blue peach, Metroid Fusion ZSS recolors, Luigi has Mr. L recolors, and the white fire mario is Doc instead.
Hahahahaha sounds pretty similar to the characters I'm adding. I actually think I may use a Mr. L texture over Orange Luigi, along with Melee Fox/Falco and Boxing Gloves DK.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I tried to pick things that weren't too outlandish. Like, I think stuff like Sephiroth over Marth and Cloud over Ike is really cool, but I don't include them in my setup. But playable sonic characters over Sonic? Sure, why not?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Awakening Marth, that new Melee/Brawl Fox fusion model/texture, and Assault Falco are all good looking textures with recolors.

Make sure you get the CSPs/BPs done before the pack is released, some people are a bit OCD about that lol

Led-Zeppelin

Smash Apprentice
Awakening Marth, that new Melee/Brawl Fox fusion model/texture, and Assault Falco are all good looking textures with recolors.

Make sure you get the CSPs/BPs done before the pack is released, some people are a bit OCD about that lol
What new Melee/Brawl Fox fusion? Could i have a picture or a link please? :D

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
I tried to pick things that weren't too outlandish. Like, I think stuff like Sephiroth over Marth and Cloud over Ike is really cool, but I don't include them in my setup. But playable sonic characters over Sonic? Sure, why not?
Well the reason I'm using Shadow and not Knuckles is because Shadow is really just a retexture of Sonic. Knuckles is a whole different character and if I were to add Knuckles (which I'm not), I'd want a new moveset specific to him meaning I'd need to replace a character for him. I really rather not do that.

I've actually mentioned to Shun_one that I'm looking to use his Awakening Marth a few weeks ago. And I do really like the hybrid Melee/Brawl Fox and Assault Falco models/textures.

For CSPs/BPs, I already have all the characters done except for the ones that will have custom models/textures. I'm going to release a Beta version of the pack with no model/textures or Project MMM recolors later this week and slowly add the models/textures/CSPs/BPs over time.

http://smashboards.com/threads/great-desert-m.333432/

This thread has a version of great desert with PM's dynamic camera. I also posted the outset stage from windwaker which would be cool.
Great Desert M is already in the pack =P . Will definitely look into the Outset Island stage though. Thanks for the idea.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
knuckles isn't any more a new character than Shadow is. Shadow did all kinds of **** in the games that was different from what sonic does, just like knuckles. Knuckles still ran around and turned into a ball though, he just won't be gliding, just like shadow won't be using chaos control... or a gun. I don't have a new character or anything, it's just a texture. Red Sonic clearly wishes he was Knuckles anyway.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109331881/Brawl Mods/Knuckles.rar

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
knuckles isn't any more a new character than Shadow is. Shadow did all kinds of **** in the games that was different from what sonic does, just like knuckles. Knuckles still ran around and turned into a ball though, he just won't be gliding, just like shadow won't be using chaos control... or a gun. I don't have a new character or anything, it's just a texture. Red Sonic clearly wishes he was Knuckles anyway.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109331881/Brawl Mods/Knuckles.rar
I'm still going to have to disagree. I still think Knuckles is too drastic of a change. Shadow is simply a Sonic recolor. Knuckles has different hands, shoes, and hair. If other people say they want it, I'll add it. Until then, it's a pass. Sorry man :sadeyes:

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'm still going to have to disagree. I still think Knuckles is too drastic of a change. Shadow is simply a Sonic recolor. Knuckles has different hands, shoes, and hair. If other people say they want it, I'll add it. Until then, it's a pass. Sorry man :sadeyes:
Gonna have to agree with you there, I'd probably be ok with it if red wasn't a team color though, Sonic needs more of those *coughBrawlMasquade*.

How do you feel about Super Sonic or Tails over golden rings Sonic?

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
How do you feel about Super Sonic or Tails over golden rings Sonic?
Tails is definitely a pass for the same reason as Knuckles. Super Sonic should just be a simple texture just like Shadow, so I'd be OK with it.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Had I the skill I'd like to try being an announcer voice. >.>'

In any case, a lot of this sounds great. Not completely sold on the idea of some character changes/re-skins, but if you could make it so that there'd be some kind of separation in what's included in the 'Community Pack' I don't any real issue.

Kati

Smash Lord
I understand your concern over the model swaps/textures, they will not be in the Gecko OS hackless build. But why no custom soundtrack? To me that's like half of this mod. And as far as the unified team colors go, it doesn't seem like progress is going THAT slowly. Maritime is literally 1 character away from being complete, Minty is already done, and it seems like a good amount of people are working on Mars.
Okay, well it seems that you are more up to date with the team colour project than me. Excuse the double negative, but, it's not that I think you specifically are incapable of making a soundtrack that will appeal to everyone, it's that I don't think anyone can. JCaeser gets flack for his soundtrack, despite how relatively harmless it is ("cave story music over the Roost?? blasphemy!"). You are going to quadruple the size of the download with content that I think people will do away with. I might be wrong. This is your project, so do as you see fit.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
The Uniform Team Colour project is moving so slowly because everyone had stuff to do over the spring break, or just didn't have on in general. If you guys want to help out, pick up a character or two in this thread. The only Maritime character left before Maritime is done is Maritime Wolf, which I believe someone has taken up. The rest are Mars characters. It's really easy to get started and we can provide you with whatever help you need, from Screenshots to CSPs to feedback. It takes at most around a week to get a texture finished (unless you have a tricky character like Falco), and we would really appreciate the help.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
In any case, a lot of this sounds great. Not completely sold on the idea of some character changes/re-skins, but if you could make it so that there'd be some kind of separation in what's included in the 'Community Pack' I don't any real issue.
Seems you're not the only one who thinks this. I'll be sure to have a version without models/retextures.
You should have a girl do it, or a Jamaican guy
Well it looks like you're going to get your wish. Originally I was making a new announcer because I thought I was going to add certain characters like Frog (Chrono Trigger) over Toon Link, but everyone has seemed to make it clear that they don't want that. Ive also been somewhat busy this week and will most likely continue to be for the next few months, meaning less time to record the new announcer. So what I'm doing instead is probably using the Female Announcer pack from Rina-chan.
Okay, well it seems that you are more up to date with the team colour project than me. Excuse the double negative, but, it's not that I think you specifically are incapable of making a soundtrack that will appeal to everyone, it's that I don't think anyone can. JCaeser gets flack for his soundtrack, despite how relatively harmless it is ("cave story music over the Roost?? blasphemy!"). You are going to quadruple the size of the download with content that I think people will do away with. I might be wrong. This is your project, so do as you see fit.
Well I definitely understand people's fear of the music pack adding a lot in terms of memory meaning a large download size. I guess I could throw together a soundtrack-less version fairly easily. However I hope people will like what I've done with the soundtrack. Its fairly harmless though. It's mostly just guitar covers of songs. Also I will most likely have to have a few tracks anyways because of the new stages. Mewtwo's Stadium would be strange with Big Blue music and Great Desert with Pictochat music is horrifying.
The Uniform Team Colour project is moving so slowly because everyone had stuff to do over the spring break, or just didn't have on in general. If you guys want to help out, pick up a character or two in this thread. The only Maritime character left before Maritime is done is Maritime Wolf, which I believe someone has taken up. The rest are Mars characters. It's really easy to get started and we can provide you with whatever help you need, from Screenshots to CSPs to feedback. It takes at most around a week to get a texture finished (unless you have a tricky character like Falco), and we would really appreciate the help.
I'd love to help with Mars, but unfortunately I'm still fairly new to Photoshop and probably wouldn't be much help. I'll try to make a Mars texture to help out, but no promises.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
This part of photoshop is pretty simple. A simple google search of "Hue/Saturation Adjustment" and "Selection Tools and Cropping" will give you pretty much all the information you need to do this kind of work. I suggest trying a simple character without much alterations in color, so the cropping job is easy. I appreciate the help!

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
This part of photoshop is pretty simple. A simple google search of "Hue/Saturation Adjustment" and "Selection Tools and Cropping" will give you pretty much all the information you need to do this kind of work. I suggest trying a simple character without much alterations in color, so the cropping job is easy. I appreciate the help!
I'm familiar with Hue/Saturation adjustment and understand separation of parts with selection tools back when I made my CSPs. If that's all I need to do, I guess I'll try to make a Mars texture for someone simple. BTW, let's keep the uniform team color discussion over at the Brawl Vault forums.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
That's fine. I'm just explaining everything for anyone else who is interested. Seeing that the pack might be in this Pro Edition, it's technically relevant for people who want to help.
Agreed.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
possible stages that i personally love (esspecially kongo jungle)

http://smashboards.com/threads/tweaked-stages.334582/

also Galaga, i have a potential music pack that i think will work great here. I'm still working on it so it'll be a while
I like how the stages look, I'll probably end up including them. I'd have to see a track list before I consider the music pack however, considering I've just about finished putting together my own pack.

MVP

Smash Ace
I like how the stages look, I'll probably end up including them. I'd have to see a track list before I consider the music pack however, considering I've just about finished putting together my own pack.
Mine might not work because of

"- What music you want on each stage (No copyrighted music please, music from places like OC Remix or Metroid Metal are great though!)"

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
Mine might not work because of

"- What music you want on each stage (No copyrighted music please, music from places like OC Remix or Metroid Metal are great though!)"
Then it's going to have to be a pass. I'd rather not have copyrighted music in the pack. Sorry dude.

No, I don't like Rina Chan, and I don't like this. Surely there has to be some Jamaican dude willing to do it
Well then feel free to use the Gecko OS pack. No hacks required and won't include the female announcer.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
At this point, you really should just label it as your own customized pack rather than some sort of Pro edition. With the exception of the visual changes, sans characters, no one is going to agree on anything.

Also, seriously Rina Chan? I usually don't hammer on people's tastes but she was a bad fit for SSF1 and she won't be a good fit here either. Please just don't.

Galaga

Smash 3 Dev Team
3DS FC
4940-6585-2366
At this point, you really should just label it as your own customized pack rather than some sort of Pro edition. With the exception of the visual changes, sans characters, no one is going to agree on anything.

Also, seriously Rina Chan? I usually don't hammer on people's tastes but she was a bad fit for SSF1 and she won't be a good fit here either. Please just don't.
Well this is the second request to change the title and the 2nd request to remove the Rina-chan announcer pack. Looks like I'm changing both. The pack will now be called Project M: Remix. That shouldn't offend anyone and still sounds okay to me. As for the announcer pack, I'm going to have to scrap it altogether unless anyone can suggest something better.

Top Bottom