• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

Chris_sez

Smash Apprentice
GG @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash . ALL OF YOUR MAINS ARE A PAIN TO DEAL WITH. Only way I could get at least one stock off was to be really aggressive, and that ain't my play style. What did you think of mine? I already know I suck.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
GG @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash . ALL OF YOUR MAINS ARE A PAIN TO DEAL WITH. Only way I could get at least one stock off was to be really aggressive, and that ain't my play style. What did you think of mine? I already know I suck.
Hmm, playstyles. Let's see....

Well, being aggressive vs me can be beneficial or bad depending on how you're applying that aggression. Regardless, the type of playstyle usually doesn't matter as much as not being predictable. Being able to constantly mix up your moves and approach options are infinitely better than trying to adhere to a textbook, carbon-copy style imo.

However, that's not to say playstyles aren't important. If you want to be an overall patient player, then that's fine. But being able to adapt and shift gears when the time is appropriate is key. There may be times where your best interest is to be aggressive for a moment. In Smash, you want to make the most out of every opportunity you can get and sometimes a purely defensive style can make you miss those opportunities. On the other end, a purely aggressive style can make you mess up all the opportunities you get by being too predictable. So being aware of these opportunities and adapting to them via mixing up your play is crucial and usually comes with experience.

I hope that vague advice was somewhat useful!

Edit: Also, ggs!

Last edited:

Chris_sez

Smash Apprentice
@ Jesus+1 Jesus+1 GG. One again, space animals and falcons are the bane of my existence. But you are good. You definitely kept me in the air, which was my downfall. What about me?

Chris_sez

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, playstyles. Let's see....

Well, being aggressive vs me can be beneficial or bad depending on how you're applying that aggression. Regardless, the type of playstyle usually doesn't matter as much as not being predictable. Being able to constantly mix up your moves and approach options are infinitely better than trying to adhere to a textbook, carbon-copy style imo.

However, that's not to say playstyles aren't important. If you want to be an overall patient player, then that's fine. But being able to adapt and shift gears when the time is appropriate is key. There may be times where your best interest is to be aggressive for a moment. In Smash, you want to make the most out of every opportunity you can get and sometimes a purely defensive style can make you miss those opportunities. On the other end, a purely aggressive style can make you mess up all the opportunities you get by being too predictable. So being aware of these opportunities and adapting to them via mixing up your play is crucial and usually comes with experience.

I hope that vague advice was somewhat useful!

Edit: Also, ggs!
What about my mains? Did they catch you off guard? What was good and what could be improved?

PoeticMonkey

Smash Ace
@ Chris_sez Chris_sez , Sorry just saw you asked me about your Lucas.
So here's what's up... I actually never wanted to try to learn Lucas until I saw this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmXht3jTWgY
I recommend you study and watch what Neon does against M2K. It's really impressive. I notice, at least for me, that if I watch some other players' matches, I can set my mind to analyze their strategy and hopefully I'll see a new trick while watching. Get new tricks and put 'em in your pocket. After awhile, you'll have several cards up your sleeve. And then when you play, split-second decisions (literally) will be made with more insight. My theory off the cuff is that a large facet of improvement isn't so much trying to beat the best player you know, but rather reading up on techniques and testing them out (even in the match waiting room with the sandbag). I might be just thinking crazy at this hour, so I will digress.

And I don't mean to compare you to Neon. Just as wouldn't compare my basketball skills with Kevin Durant's. Keep at it, man. Competitive Smash can be (and is) tough stuff. I like that you don't seem discouraged and that you welcome feedback.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
What about my mains? Did they catch you off guard? What was good and what could be improved?
A lot of things could be improved. They did not catch me off guard, unfortunately. I've played a lot of the Ness and Lucas MU online, so I wasn't really surprised by anything. I think you need to work very extensively on your punish game. You need to make every hit you get on me count and a lot of the times when you'd hit me, you wouldn't really take the combo as far as you could have. Also, I think you had a slight rolling habit iirc. Habitual rolling is pretty bad and people can punish you really hard. Don't roll unless you feel like you have to. That's mainly all I can say for now. I don't play either Ness or Lucas so I can't give much character specific advice. What I can say, though, is that I know Lucas has the ability to be played really aggressively with magnet cancels and double jump canceled aerials. Using those tools to zone, combo, and pressure effectively is pretty crucial for Lucas. Also, getting hit confirms from PK Freeze is a big thing, too.

Top Bottom