• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
lets play 5 matches. fc 4773-4139-6722
Shoot, don't know why the game disconnected like that, hope we aren't too far away or something :/, anyway, still want to play more? I guess I haven't won any games but oh well. :p

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
ok host a game and you were close to winning before it cut off.
Pft, looked like you were about to come RIGHT back :b but I guess I was doing better than in the previous matches from before so thanks anyway.

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
@ Paekoh Paekoh
Ah screw it, I guess my brother being online along with a few other people may be making my connection laggy; while I don't want to count that sudden death match as an actual win, I'm glad I was at least able to keep up to an extent. :) On that note, I guess I'm done for tonight, Really GGs there Paekoh.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I can play. 0174-1013-2303
We got disconnected. GG's though. You have some good characters. It was difficult for me to adapt. Or even get moves in sometimes. You were waiting for my nair's as Samus lol. I don't know why I kept doing them. The only thing that I seemed to do right was start grabbing more. You had some good patience. I guess I should be more patient at times instead of going into combos thinking that they'd work. I have to go now anyways so I guess it was good timing. I would've ended up being late for work haha. Any advice playing Falco or Samus?

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
We got disconnected. GG's though. You have some good characters. It was difficult for me to adapt. Or even get moves in sometimes. You were waiting for my nair's as Samus lol. I don't know why I kept doing them. The only thing that I seemed to do right was start grabbing more. You had some good patience. I guess I should be more patient at times instead of going into combos thinking that they'd work. I have to go now anyways so I guess it was good timing. I would've ended up being late for work haha. Any advice playing Falco or Samus?
lol yeah. Every floaty player loves to mash out combo breaker moves to the point where it's habitual and you don't even realize you're doing it. It's a psychological thing that can be abused by the opponent if he knows how to beat that option. To beat combo breaker moves like Samus' nair, you have to intentionally drop the combo you're doing, bait the hair, and punish. So it I get you in the air, instead of continuing the string only to get hit by nair, I just either space myself to wait for the nair or I put up my shield immediately so that you can hit my shield and I can respond with an OoS option. And I won't stop punishing nair like that unless you give me a reason to (i.e. choosing a different option: jump back ---> waveband on platform, just falling to the ground ---> buffered roll/spotdodge, etc). That's why mix-ups are important. I'm glad you noticed that I kept punishing your nair. Many players are unable to notice things like that because they don't pay much attention to those micro-situations that end up making them eat huge damage or a stock.

As far as character-specific advice... let's see.

Falco

With Falco vs Marth, you don't want to get grabbed. The absolute, last thing you want to do is to get grabbed. Because if I get a grab on you, that's free combo that could lead into a kill. You also don't want to get grabbed at the ledge, because I always down throw and go for the gimp because I know Falco's recovery is mediocre and nearly every option Falco has offstage, Marth can cover.
With that said, I believe the best thing you can do is to abuse lasers and learn how to utilize safe shield pressure. Both strategies, when used together, make the MU a lot easier for Falco. Lasers will restrict Marth's movement to a degree where you can put him where you want him and attempt to go for the punish. But if you shoot lasers too much, then it's only a matter of time before Marth finds a way in the laser defense (his dash attack goes under high lasers, he can powershield lasers ---> grab, etc). And when you approach Marth and interact with his shield, Marth also has options to punish/evade sloppy approaches (he can do a fair OoS to interrupt a sloppy laser to nair/dair attempt, he can grab aerials done high on his shield, he can buffer roll away from laser ---> grab or laser ---> shine ---> grab, etc).

When you play this MU, the goal imo is to restrict Marth of all his options immediately and/or for as long as possible so that you can have the highest chance of obtaining a punish at any given point in the match. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time before you get grabbed and 0 to death. So you want to stop that from happening as soon as possible and 0 to death him instead. And Falco certainly has the tools to do that.

Also, you had a habit of teching in, so it made tech chasing easier. I was playing around with down throw/f-throw a bit to see if you'd start changing it up and to help send a message that teching in all the time vs me is bad.

Also, Falco dittos are dumb so I don't want to comment on that lol.

Samus

I already said the stuff about her nair above, which was mostly what I was going to say about your Samus, so I need not say anymore about that.

If there's anything else I can say is to utilize missile canceling with Samus and to not always spam crouch canceled attacks when you're playing someone who knows how to punish them (though I'm not the best at punishing CCing online).

And yeah, grabbing more definitely helped you. A lot of Samuses are scared to grab so I just spam shield a lot because I know I'm probably not going to get grabbed. That's actually a habit of mine lol. I'll work on that myself someday.

Also, as a general thing, taking more offstage risks can give you a lot of reward if you're confident enough. I'm sure you noticed all the offstage risks I was taking, lol. I think offstage edge guarding is a heavily under explored aspect of Smash that only a few players on this Earth can say they've perfected (Armada, m2k, etc). So I've been trying to develop my offstage game and it's worked out wonders for me so far. The only basic requirement is that you obtain the confidence to goo offstage, even though you may fail. High risk/High reward scenarios can be exciting and with enough practice, you can usually tip that ratio more towards high rewards than high risk.

Alrightly, I hope that helped! Again, gas!

Edit: And yeah, patience can go a looooong way.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Thanks a lot. I was actually punishing someone else for their predictable nairs yesterday lol. :kirby2: down grab. Wait for the nair. Sheild. Re-grab. lol. Its ironic I was falling for the same stuff. At least I realized it.

I'll normally go off stage offline. When I play online I intentionally don't even wave-dash>grab ledge because I might SD. I guess I'll have to just take it huh? Mainly Kirby is who I'll go off stage with since he can get back so easily.

Its a pretty scrubby thing to always tech in when you're going towards the ledge. I try to tech towards the ledge sometimes but by the time I recognize that I should, muscle memory has kicked in and I've already teched to the middle of the stage.

Whenever I missile cancelled with Samus I'd normally do in for a dash attack at first. I've been trying lately to grab instead of dash attack since it covers more options. Though if they get hit with just the missile there's less knock-back.

There's a reason for the stuff I do but I guess it gets stale quickly. Thanks for the tips. But not the tippers:marth:

Thanks for the tips on shield pressure with Falco. He tends to get bodied by Marths.

Thanks for helping me out with all the advice.

I'll be playing you again soon... Get ready:kirby2:

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Looks like @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash won't be retiring anytime soon on wifi :p

BTW did you do any tournaments?
lol I will be, actually. I'm gonna leave my Wii home when I go to college in like 2 weeks. So by then, I'll most likely be done.

I attend offline tournaments when I have the time. I went to Apex 2014, my first national, and got 65th in P:M. I guess that's something.

Top Bottom