• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
GGs, @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash , well, not really good games... I felt trashed... You have crushed all my hopes and dreams of EVER being good... You dismantled every bit of smash skill I thought I had and force fed them to me... I feel very frustrated... To the point of screaming... Literally...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry. I know exactly how you feel. I've been in the same exact situation before. Multiple times. What you need to realize is that what you're feeling is the first step to becoming better and how you progress from this point on will depend on whether you're willing to work on and improve on the strengths and weaknesses you have or succumb to frustration and forever be mediocre.

Dott

Smash Ace
Don't worry. I know exactly how you feel. I've been in the same exact situation before. Multiple times. What you need to realize is that what you're feeling is the first step to becoming better and how you progress from this point on will depend on whether you're willing to work on and improve on the strengths and weaknesses you have or succumb to frustration and forever be mediocre.
If i only could remember how many times i felt like Shadowganon right now.

Wanna 1vs1?

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Well, for now, I'm going to go wallow in self pity and play those matches over and over in my head and wonder how it was that you were able to pull off frame perfect combos in lag.

I am a disgrace to Ganon... I am not worthy of using this Super Saiyan Ganon avatar. So much shame...

Feel free to tell me every little thing I did wrong (Even if I have to change my entire style of play, I must get better).

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Well, for now, I'm going to go wallow in self pity and play those matches over and over in my head and wonder how it was that you were able to pull off frame perfect combos in lag.

I am a disgrace to Ganon... I am not worthy of using this Super Saiyan Ganon avatar. So much shame...

Feel free to tell me every little thing I did wrong (Even if I have to change my entire style of play, I must get better).
Sure.

First off, I've been playing Brawl wi-fail for years. So I'm actually quite used to the delay and know how to execute very well in lag.

With that out of the way, these are the things I noticed.

It seemed like you understood the general concept of dash dancing pretty well, though you could've used it more effectively to punish my approaches. However, that's not your biggest issue.

My playstyle revolves around observing your movement and seeing if there are any certain patterns I can pick up and capitalize on every single time. Basically an adaptive playstyle. One of the disadvantages of playing fighting games is that we're.... well, human. Everyone is prone to picking up certain habits that are hard to get rid of.

The habits I noticed with you were mainly in how you approached me. EVERY SINGLE TIME you approached me with an aerial and it missed me (due to me dash dancing out of its range), you would do one of two things: 1. Use a tilt move (Ganon: f-tilt, Roy: Up-tilt, etc) or you would roll away. So, again: You'd wiff an aerial and immediately throw out a move or you would roll away. And you'd throw out a move like 70% of the time and roll away 30% of the time. Noticing this, my strategy vs you was very simple: Force you to commit to a move and punish either your tilt or your roll. At that point, it becomes like a rock-paper-scissors game that's heavily in my favor and I don't really need to worry about anything else other than committing to that strategy.

Now, how do you combat such a playstyle? Not having obvious habits are key. This is why mix-ups (using different options in certain scenarios) are crucial. For example, you could have done numerous more things after your aerial. You could have overshot your aerial through my dash dance so that I wouldn't be able to punish you. You could have done another aerial after your first aerial, you could have spotdodged, you could have wavedashed back, you could have grabbed, you could have jumped away, you could have dash danced away, you could've done a smash attack, you could have done a special move, you could have used different tilts, you could have just stood there waiting to see what I would do next, etc. There are soooo many things you could have been doing other than the tilts and rolls you were doing after every aerial approach. You don't even have to use an aerial to approach either (You can dash cancel down tilts with Roy, you can do a running JC grab, you can do a dash attack, etc)!

Also, don't be afraid to be more aggressive offstage with edgeguarding, edgehogging, etc.

There are other things I could mention, but I think the most important is for you to work on getting rid of those habits I mentioned and work on implementing mix-ups in your game (I know getting rid of habits is difficult, but it's possible!)

Edit:
I see. That's fine man, when you're re-invigorated.

That said: @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash are you willing to play some games?
Eeeeeh... I guess I can play a few, sure :3

Last edited:

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
GGS @ TheKmanOfSmash TheKmanOfSmash . That was like the least pleasant experience I've ever had in smash what with the terrible, terrible, terrible lag, but kudos to you for being able to operate well in spite of it. It would have been cool to see if it wasn't so frustrating just to L-cancel.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Anyone here for a 1v1 game? now that i'm not recording games with my ipad?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Holy sh*t, 10 users, theres got to be someone here who can 1v1 me right?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
It seemed like you understood the general concept of dash dancing pretty well, though you could've used it more effectively to punish my approaches.
Part of that is because I have just started using wavedashing and I'm not too comfortable with it yet. Especially online. I haven't used dash dancing up until something like one or two months ago and I really hadn't understood it's use till just recently. :psycho:

The habits I noticed with you were mainly in how you approached me. EVERY SINGLE TIME you approached me with an aerial and it missed me (due to me dash dancing out of its range), you would do one of two things: 1. Use a tilt move (Ganon: f-tilt, Roy: Up-tilt, etc) or you would roll away. So, again: You'd wiff an aerial and immediately throw out a move or you would roll away. And you'd throw out a move like 70% of the time and roll away 30% of the time. Noticing this, my strategy vs you was very simple: Force you to commit to a move and punish either your tilt or your roll. At that point, it becomes like a rock-paper-scissors game that's heavily in my favor and I don't really need to worry about anything else other than committing to that strategy.

Now, how do you combat such a playstyle? Not having obvious habits are key. This is why mix-ups (using different options in certain scenarios) are crucial. For example, you could have done numerous more things after your aerial. You could have overshot your aerial through my dash dance so that I wouldn't be able to punish you. You could have done another aerial after your first aerial, you could have spotdodged, you could have wavedashed back, you could have grabbed, you could have jumped away, you could have dash danced away, you could've done a smash attack, you could have done a special move, you could have used different tilts, you could have just stood there waiting to see what I would do next, etc. There are soooo many things you could have been doing other than the tilts and rolls you were doing after every aerial approach. You don't even have to use an aerial to approach either (You can dash cancel down tilts with Roy, you can do a running JC grab, you can do a dash attack, etc)!
Wow... I didn't realize that my strategy could be so simply described... So many things I could have been doing...

Also, don't be afraid to be more aggressive offstage with edgeguarding, edgehogging, etc.
There were some times where I did try, but they weren't that often. I personally don't feel very comfortable edgeguarding/edgehogging online most of the time because of lag and Roy's bad recovery... If we were playing without lag, you would have seen me try to edgeguard far more. But those are just Johns... :awesome:

There are other things I could mention, but I think the most important is for you to work on getting rid of those habits I mentioned and work on implementing mix-ups in your game (I know getting rid of habits is difficult, but it's possible!)
I will try my hardest!!! :smash:

Last edited:
Top Bottom