• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Sure. Your Pikachu is pretty solid, so don't feel like you're not as good as you think you are. I just think there are a couple of areas you need improvement on.

1. Movement with Pikachu is key. Movement is one of the biggest assest Pikachu has. You never want to stay in the same place for a long period of time. You always want to be moving across the stage, platforms, etc., so that you make your opponent work to hit you. There were times where you movement was good, but there were other times where you inhibited your movement by shielding in place a lot. Shielding in Melee/P:M is a hard commitment due to the massive amounts of shield drop frames there are, and shielding in place like what you were doing is not something you want to do as Pikachu. In Melee, he has one of the worst shields in the game. I assume that they made it better in P:M, but it's still not something you want to depend on. Your options are very limited from shield as opposed to the options you would have as a result of good movement and maneuverability across the stage. This does not mean never use shield, but rather to use it only when it's necessary or if you think it an net you a really big reward.

2. You need to work more on your gimp/edgeguarding game. When a spacie is offstage, Pikachu needs to gimp them almost all the time. You HAVE to make this an integral part of your play as Pikachu. Giving a spacie a second chance is just asking to lose. You have to take advantage of every opportunity you get to gimp me. You have t be able to cover all my recovery options and to not be afraid to go suuuuuper deep offstage for the gimp.

3. Your combo game was alright, though I feel like it could've been slightly better by following up more after like 3 or so hits. Like the way I combo is that if I can go for the guaranteed, then I'll take it, but if I know I can't get a guaranteed hit, I try to follow my opponent/read his DI/techs, etc. in order to follow-up and extend my sequence of hits as far as possible. I'm pretty sure Pikachu can do the same.

4. Don't be predictable at the ledge. You almost always did the same option every time: Ledge hop up-air or ledge hop fair. Both of those options lose to wavedash back f-smash by Marth as you saw on that one game on FD where I pretty much kept you on the left side of the stage the whole time. The reason why I was able to do that successfully was because I knew you were going to do one of those two options and I just had to pick a single option that covers both of them. Ledge recovery mix-ups are suuuuper important. The goal is to get back on stage safely and assume the center stage where you have the most stage control. But if you're being predictable on the ledge, then it will be really hard to slip past your opponent offensive edgeguarding.

I think that's all I can think of for now. I'm too tired to think of other things lol

I hope that helped somewhat. ggs Boondocker, I had fun! :3

P.S. I think Puff/Pika is a really bad MU for Pika. Don't feel too bad about that lolol
Thanks man, I really apreciate it!

I usually base my movement off of what my opponent is doing, but I couldnt really read your movement so I didnt know what to do some of the time. I shielded thinking you were going to attack, but was wrong alot of the time. I also have a terrible habit of holding L too long after L-canceling sometimes and shielding.

I know I need to gimp spacies, but it is harder than Axe and others make it look. There were a couple of times when i tried to get the tail spike but you firefoxed right outside of my range. I also couldnt grab you for the life of me, so getting you offstage didnt happen as much as I wanted it to.

Yes, Pika can do the same. I try to do that too, and most newer players will always throw an aerial as they are comming down so I try to capitalize on that.

Anyways, I had fun too and I want to play again sometime.

Rukir

Smash Cadet
NNID
rory10
Sorry I quit, your Fox made me salty beyond belief... at least I admit it lol

I really LOVED those Ganon dittos because I was actually good.... I blame Smash U, lol.

We really need more of those Red Banon dittos tho.

Royal-X

Smash Ace
The revolution continues!
Dash Dance Revolution #2!
When is it? Saturday, May 16th @7PM Eastern/ 6PM Central
How to Register? Shoot me a PM with your Gamer Tag and FC or register directly here!

Let's see who can dash dance their way to the top.
Survived the first one? Join once more and see if you can survive again!
New and interested? Come test your skill and see how you compare!
More info here!

Be there or be square!

Last edited:

NanaShiro

Smash Apprentice
Ggs, man. Quit cause the lag got a bit annoying and my combos started getting crappy. Nice Marth and G&W tho, they're really good.
I hated that i couldn't tech because of it and sometimes even attack. tho that bowser rekt lol, damn super armor... i tried. you have good reads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom