• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Match Ups with Squirtle

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
Hello all.

So I've only really gotten into the Smash Community within the past 4 months. I've been playing Smash ever since I could pick up a controller, but when I discovered the competitive scene in July (2013), I had to be a part of it. Smash is a game I've always loved to my core and that I've never grown tired of. I've been practicing and I'm in my first tournament come Dec 6. I had a chance to study my competition, but my inexperience is preventing me from capitalizing on what I've learned. I main Squirtle and I can do a lot of the tricks (the hydroplaning smashes, jump cancel grabs, etc), but I could use some advice on match ups.

The match up I'm most concerned with is the match up with Falco. Other players in the tournament were playing Zelda, Toon Link, Lucario, Fox, Sheik, Luigi, and Ivysaur. If anyone could give me any advice on these match ups it would be greatly appreciated. 1st place is has a $160 prize, so I'd like to win, haha. Thank you!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
If the Falco likes running away and using lasers, withdraw is your friend. As with all fast fallers, down smash is a great move, follow their tech and keep down smashing, you can take a whole stock using just down smash and finishing with an up smash or down throw.

Fox same idea, but the MU is a lot worse than Falco, mostly because fox up smash kills on most stages at like 70%

I don't like the TL MU at all, he makes you work so hard to get it, and unlike a lot of projectiles in the game, withdraw doesn't go through his boomerang unless it's already heading back towards TL. Like fox, he can kill you really early with down throw -> up b

Lucario you just gotta dance around his stuff, just keep moving in and out of his range, you're faster than him, take advantage

I haven't played against Sheik much, but needles are the worst

Luigi I've never played against, but I can imagine it's a lot of wavedashing in and out of each other's range. Watch out for misfires.

Ivysaur, withdraw goes through razor leaf, though I'm not sure if it's 100% of the time, but it's the best way to get in against him with his huge range and low cool downs. Ivy bair is like the best in the game, it's tough.

Zelda is so slow, you can dance around her and bait most of her attacks, and Squirtle can kill her pretty early off the top because she's so light, I've never had a problem against her, but I used to play the character, so I know most of her tricks

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur, withdraw goes through razor leaf, though I'm not sure if it's 100% of the time, but it's the best way to get in against him with his huge range and low cool downs. Ivy bair is like the best in the game, it's tough.
I'd like to further offer insight on this. With squirtle, you have the advantage of your shell dance over his lack of mobility. If you can bait a grab out, you can rack up damage against the leafy beast with strict side b into downsmash. It'll add up nicely. You can mix it up with neutral air and back airs.

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to let you guys know that I took first in the tournament! Thank you so much again for your advice! It helped out so much!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I usually rain bubbles on sheik because god damn those needles.
Lucario almost can't recover when you d-smash edge guard, same with captain falcon.
Ness is super dangerous, same with the two links. PK fire and Toon link's flame arrows will ruin your day.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
So I've been playing PM squirtle for a while and I've had the chance to write up a few more match up tips. Maybe I'll do a guide one day.

Feel free to argue/dispute these.

Squirtle is a character that has the potential to do well against anyone. There are a few match ups I'll advise against if you can. If you've got a method, great. Here are some toons you should avoid:

Squirtle: You are your own counter. Your Side B clinks with each other. YOu both do damage to the other than land opposite of them. Try to surprise the other squirtle with aerials and overall out playing them. Use plenty of spacing and be VERY careful not to get locked into a shield pressure situation. If so, jump out of shield neutral air to protect yourself.

Captain Falcon. He tech chases. Squirtle has bad teching. Stomp destroys you. Knee destroys you. He's easy to guard against once you get him off the ledge. The problem is doing that. Bad falcons may not be as hard.

Marth: Sword. The range + tip is devastating. Try to avoid going in until he throws a move. Basic melee mindset applies.

Fox: You're the smaller, faster version of this spacie. There is a few things that you need to be careful for in this match up. He'll up smash you if you're overzealous with your side B. Most of your match ups that are hard, you don't want to use Side B anyways. Super armor is nice but it's a band aid. Your opponent can punish you if you over use/spam it. It's always good to use your specials in moderation. Anyways. Fox can be comboed pretty easily by our slippery friend. Use plenty of mix up aerials/shell shifts. Get him off stage and edge guard with bubble or neutral air.

Falco: You go through lasers. Same rules apply as to fox. You don't want to use side b to approach unless you're within a few inches of them. Make them throw out moves, shell shift to stall and then unload your combo game. He can pillar you out of Side B. Forward smash is a great tool if you WD with it forward into the blue ****er.

Diddy: You go through his bannana's with side b but he can tech chase punish you hard.

Bowser: Your daddy. He's got better super armor, better aggression and can punish you if you play stupidly. PICK YOUR TIMING TO GO IN CAREFULLY.

I'll do more later when I can.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Guys I need some tips/pointers on Squirtle's match-up against Mario.

My friend plays a pretty damn good Mario and im having a hard time trying to beat him. I understand that with Squirtle, you have to pick and choose when to be aggressive or evasive, but no matter how much I try and adapt...... my arse get's handed to me. So any tips and trick's y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
Mario is easy. Just be careful when you go in. Use Side-B up close and just combo into neutral ar/fair. You should be able to out combo him and just avoid him with your speed.

Adding ZSS onto the hard match up list.

Down smash guards against Squirtle pretty well, and her aerial game is much better. Neither one in this match up wants to approach, and it makes for an almost stalemate. Recommendation against her is to never challenge her on platforms, and ban Battlefield + Smashville 100%.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
^^^^^
Alright demon i practiced with Squirtle for quite some time, so i decided to call my friend back over for a quick rematch..................... AND I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

granted I had 1 stock in both the rounds we fought in, and in the last match I was over 90%..... BUT A WINS A WIN.

thanks for the advice Le Demonhunter :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
Fox: You're the smaller, faster version of this spacie. There is a few things that you need to be careful for in this match up. He'll up smash you if you're overzealous with your side B. Most of your match ups that are hard, you don't want to use Side B anyways. Super armor is nice but it's a band aid. Your opponent can punish you if you over use/spam it. It's always good to use your specials in moderation. Anyways. Fox can be comboed pretty easily by our slippery friend. Use plenty of mix up aerials/shell shifts. Get him off stage and edge guard with bubble or neutral air.

Falco: You go through lasers. Same rules apply as to fox. You don't want to use side b to approach unless you're within a few inches of them. Make them throw out moves, shell shift to stall and then unload your combo game. He can pillar you out of Side B. Forward smash is a great tool if you WD with it forward into the blue ******.

@PillsBurry: Glad I could help. Just remember to mix up. That's the key to any smash game. Never be predictable.

Top Bottom