• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M is Finished, But Why?

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
If you've been on the Project M website at all within the last hour, you've noticed that development for Project M has finished, and 3.6 is the final version. The thing is, everything on the website has been taken down. The downloads, the changelist, everything. This leads me to believe that there might be a deeper meaning behind this. The lawyer's email and nothing else also concerns me. Research has concluded that Nintendo has not given PMDT a cease and desist order, at least not publicly. So what do you think happened? Is the downloads being taken down an accident that came with redirecting everyone to the message, or is there something else at work here? What about Knuckles and Lyn, weren't they done or very close to done? Do you think someone else will take over the project?

UPDATE: I know someone who is close friends with some of the PMDT, and he says that Nintendo did issue a cease and desist order; just not publicly. So how long does PM have left? Will it ever appear at a major again?

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'm just more interested in whatever new projects they plan on doing in the future.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Had to be a C&D. Was far too sudden and the circumstances are far too fishy. We know for a fact that the PMDT had multiple things planned for future release including a couple alt costumes that were to be released as a patch for 3.6. The fact that they both removed all download links and said in the message to direct all questions to a legal consultant also points to Nintendo being involved. Backlash incoming.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
If this was a C&D i might just be done with giving nintendo money atleast until they change their ways, their games are still amazing but half of the bull**** they've pulled recently has been piling up on them like the youtube fiasco, the fact that they were actually making money of the people who bought brawl soley for project m then have the balls to call it criminal content is disgusting.

I don't even see how they could get away with a C&D for this, it's like if instead of recruiting the guy who made dayz arma had instead sued him, in both the case of this and dayz there was no money being made and no piracy was involved, plus project m team directly went out of there way to not include characters or costumes from 4, so how nintendo would even have a leg to stand on in this argument is beyond me.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
You'd have to be stupid to not know it was a C&D. The downloads would still be there otherwise, obviously. Nintendo is utterly insulting the intelligence of its fanbase. You're all idiots to Nintendo, it's right there in the fine print. They think they can keep it quiet while still destroying the entire PM site and you'll all eat up the lie that it wasn't a C&D. How humiliating. It's a shameful day to be a Nintendo fan when they have zero respect for you.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
exactly, if it's true then I hope people call nintendo out on this as the company is better then this, but they get away with alot **** others would'nt soley because they are nintendo, their own fanbase can be a detriment to their improvement alot of the time.
It's really saddening me that i might need to stop supporting them as said their games are so good smash 4 is great(if anything i'll just go out of my way to buy second hand) but I can't support their other decisions atm. in some cases such as the youtube bullying, it's getting to levels that even ea might raise an eyebrow at, yet they get away with it because they are ****in nintendo!.

Last edited:

Rookie_One

Smash Rookie
Hidden C&D....Nintendo really screwed us again...

I Just hope that someone of the dev team would just upload and leak everything that was done so we can complete the game ourselves

Rookie_One

Smash Rookie
It could be, knowing how screwed the legal system in the US is (at least that kind of thing is forbidden in canada and most of european country, which help a lot for these kinds of things)

Delta Chae

The Observer
Is it even legal to send a hidden c&d that can't be talked about btw? if so that seems incredibly shady.
Under a Non-Disclosure Agreement it can be done. This was very likely a case of Nintendo threatening legal action knowing that the PMDT was in no position to fight back and effectively had to give in with no argument.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
eh, I don't know, if it was C&D it'll almost certainly get out, pretty much nothing can be hidden on the net anymore, someone will leak it or something but I really would'nt put nintendo past a c&d on this considering how they've been bullying their youtube fans(who like project m ironically make them money, so good job nintendo you ****in halfwits).
The only thing that'd confuse me would be why now?, PM has been losing steam recently anyway due to smash 4, if nintendo was gonna take it down due to interest in smash 4 they are a year or two late tbh, but I don't see it being a sudden lack of interest from the PM team either as people have pointed out missing download links and the fact that they were active quite recently.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I appreciate the anger (and the motivation that comes with it), but unless you have rock hard proof of what you claim, you're probably better off trying even harder to increase locals attendance / start locals instead of throwing a fit over something that may not even be true.

$0.02

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
Yeah, because of this, a couple of friends and I are gonna try to start a PM tournament series in our area. I guess if we just keep playing and keep the scene alive, it can't really die.

Last edited:

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
i'm not mad at nintendo about this yet just saying that if this is true(and it's very likely) then i'll be done with them(they've done more then enough to make me pissed at them recently anyway even without this).
I have'nt played much project m or smash in general lately anyway, but for me it's more the constant control nintendo is trying to get hold of on the internet and the fact that people are letting them get away with something other games companys would be eaten up for or atleast given insane amoutns of negative publicity for.

But yeah any PM fans should defineitly be trying to increase awareness of pm via local groups(also not giving nintendo money), because honestly if all the bad press from the youtube fiasco did'nt phaze them then even if the project m fanbase completely rebelled against them it would'nt really make a difference : [.

i'd like to play more local project m tbh, it's just that there's really no groups nearby(plus I don't drive and the bus systems a nightmare).

Last edited:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
Well there's this rumor circulating.

If it's true it seems like a plausible explanation other than a C&D. I personally would prefer a C&D to this rumor, however, because Wavedash Games is owned by Electronic Arts.

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
I'd start boycotting Nintendo as well, but I'm also in the Smash 4 and Pokemon scenes, and I just overall feel like it wouldn't make much of a difference with everyone else basically kissing their feet.

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414

If it's true it seems like a plausible explanation other than a C&D. I personally would prefer a C&D to this rumor, however, because Wavedash Games is owned by Electronic Arts.
I'm not sure what to think about that, either. It could be a lie, but it could very well be true. I feel like in that situation, though, they would try to push out 4.0 instead of just dropping everything so abruptly.

On another note: https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison/status/671943222848069632
Of course they're trying to cover everything up.

Last edited:

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
I just got a report from someone who was basically an unofficial member of the PMDT, and he says there were no legal threats whatsoever, including C&D. Whether he's telling the truth or he has to cover it up, I don't know. I want to believe that there was no C&D, but all the evidence says otherwise.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I'm not really sure why this rumor is spreading considering zero people that work at wavedash games(I know both of them) have ever worked on PM or been a part of the PMDT. I don't even think they've played PM. WD games has nothing to do with PM at all lol.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I'm tempted to jump on the "PMDT SAID IT WASN'T A C&D THEREFORE IT MUST HAVE BEEN!" bandwagon, but I believe that they respect their fans to some degree. Wiping everything is a heavy enough blow; I'd like to think they'd value all of us all enough to at least avoid lying about why they did what they did on top of that. I'm pretty sure there are ways to pass on this news if it resulted from a C&D without denial, even if a disclosure agreement was involved.

I know a lot of you could see me as acting naive, but I frankly see no reason to get angry until something a bit more substantial comes up, or at least until more than a day passes by.

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
No, you're right. There's no use getting angry at the PMDT, especially when it hasn't even been 6 hours. I personally think it was a C&D, though it might not be; there's really not enough evidence to prove either side. Either way, it's unfortunate, though also a bit intriguing.

Rookie_One

Smash Rookie
I'm not really sure why this rumor is spreading considering zero people that work at wavedash games(I know both of them) have ever worked on PM or been a part of the PMDT. I don't even think they've played PM. WD games has nothing to do with PM at all lol.
The Dev team (including you) don't have to say what happenned in details, but the community deserve an explanation however basic about what happenned other than it's not a cease and deist (backroom drama ? somebeody dead ? anything) rather than the silence you are all holding right now (especially with all the hype of last year)

It's not a C&D ? all right, we don't need details, but we deserve to know what the hell happenned

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The Dev team (including you) don't have to say what happenned in details, but the community deserve an explanation however basic about what happenned other than it's not a cease and deist (backroom drama ? somebeody dead ? anything) rather than the silence you are all holding right now (especially with all the hype of last year)

It's not a C&D ? all right, we don't need details, but we deserve to know what the hell happenned
https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison/status/671943222848069632

That is all we can say. I'm sorry you have to read into it for now, we apologize.

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
Will you be able to explain more at a later date, or will we be in the dark for a while? ...Assuming you even know, which you might not.

Top Bottom