• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Homebrew Version without a disc?

UpsetKomodo

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this is a common question, but I've been frantically searching everywhere for tutorials and they all seem to be outdated or otherwise unhelpful.

Ok, so my Wii no longer reads discs. No problem, I've got a Brawl ISO and I just downloaded USB Loader GX. Everything seemed to be working fine, Brawl was running perfectly, except I can't start Project M from the Stage Builder menu. It doesn't seem to even recognize the SD card, and the 3 default custom stages were there.

When I try to just start PM directly from the Homebrew channel, it takes me to the Launcher and if I try to launch the game it takes me back to the Wii menu.

One tutorial told me that I needed to just build an ISO of PM, but that didn't work. Also, it didn't copy any of my custom music. I'd rather just have the Brawl ISO and launch PM from the SD card so I don't have to make a new ISO every time I add stuff to PM.

Other tutorials have also told me to turn on Ocarina codes, and USB Loader GX would recognize PM as a cheat code and run it. I thought this was the solution to my problem, but I turned on Ocarina and it didn't detect anything.

I have a 16gb USB Drive with a Brawl ISO (does it specifically need to be in WBFS or NTFS?) and an 8gb SD card with Homebrew PM (including custom music, which I really want to keep), USB Loader GX, and Letterbomb. Again, sorry if this is a trivial queston. Please help. I don't know how to computer. I just wanna play PM with all my custom music (the reason I got the Homebrew version in the first place).

In other words: I know how to run Brawl without a disc, and I know how to run Homebrew PM with a disc, but I can't seem to figure out how to run Homebrew PM without a disc.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So you have a Brawl ISO, yes? This should in the /wbfs/ folder on your USB drive, in the correct folder therein (/Super Smash Bros. Brawl [RSBE01]/ or similar), and the file there should called RSBE01.wbfs/iso (doesn't matter).

Make sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32 (right click on the SD card > Properties > File System).
The USB drive may be either FAT or NTFS. If you only intend to use it for Wii games, NTFS is preferable, as it allows you to avoid having to split files larger than 4 GB. You could also format it as WBFS, but that's a pretty outdated method, and prevents you from using the drive for anything other than Wii game backups.

On your SD card, at a minimum you should have:
* the /apps/ folder containing USB Loader GX
* the /codes/ folder containing RSBE01.gct
* the /projectm/ folder containing all Project M files and your custom music files
* the gameconfig.txt file

Load up USB Loader GX, and select Brawl, and then go to Settings > Loader Settings. Set Ocarina to "On", and Hooktype to "AXNextFrame". Load the game, and it should now load into Project M (at least, it does so for me).

The Stage Builder method will not work with your SD card, as it is larger than 2 GB (Brawl doesn't recognise SDHC cards at all without an Ocarina code), and is pointless if you're USB loading anyway.
You can also discard the Letterbomb letter if you wish - it's no longer needed once you've installed the Homebrew Channel.

UpsetKomodo

Smash Rookie
So you have a Brawl ISO, yes? This should in the /wbfs/ folder on your USB drive, in the correct folder therein (/Super Smash Bros. Brawl [RSBE01]/ or similar), and the file there should called RSBE01.wbfs/iso (doesn't matter).

Make sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32 (right click on the SD card > Properties > File System).
The USB drive may be either FAT or NTFS. If you only intend to use it for Wii games, NTFS is preferable, as it allows you to avoid having to split files larger than 4 GB. You could also format it as WBFS, but that's a pretty outdated method, and prevents you from using the drive for anything other than Wii game backups.

* the /projectm/ folder containing all Project M files and your custom music files

Load up USB Loader GX, and select Brawl, and then go to Settings > Loader Settings. Set Ocarina to "On", and Hooktype to "AXNextFrame". Load the game, and it should now load into Project M (at least, it does so for me).

The Stage Builder method will not work with your SD card, as it is larger than 2 GB (Brawl doesn't recognise SDHC cards at all without an Ocarina code), and is pointless if you're USB loading anyway.
You can also discard the Letterbomb letter if you wish - it's no longer needed once you've installed the Homebrew Channel.
Ok I deleted everything and only added Project M and USB Loader GX, but still whenever I try to launch PM it just launches Brawl instead. It tells me that "RSBE01.gct exceeded 255 lines of code" and that I would get an unexpected result. All I added to PM was music. I tried just using a fresh copy of Homebrew PM and it did the same thing, so it can't be my music.

This is how my SD card is set up:

The problem seems to be Ocarina. For whatever reason, it doesn't want to find Project M. It just keeps launching Brawl.

UpsetKomodo

Smash Rookie
Never mind, I just used CFG instead of USB Loader GX and everything works perfectly.

MaxThunder

PM Support
It's not recognizing the gameconfig.txt for some reason... that file is what enables it to load codesets with more than 255 lines...

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I had the same problem as you.

What I found was that if I have Project M in my sd card, started USB Loader GX, turned on Ocarina and changed the hook-type to VGB or something like that, it would like Project M when I started Brawl.

SevenWillis

Smash Rookie
NNID
SevenWillis

Can one use the stage builder to make stages with this method or does it still depend on the .elf to work?

MexicanPygmy

Smash Cadet
You need to use the nohomebrew version of project m for it to work with Usb loader GX. I have it running off of there and I even have other versions of the .gct with other codes in there.

Top Bottom