• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

project M (homebrew) - so near and yet so far - help please for mum!?

sesmart51

Smash Rookie
Hi

I would really appreciate some help - my son will love me if I can get this working!
Please keep it simple for a middle aged single mum trying to help my lad... ;)

After 5 hours of faffing and following guides, here is how far I am:

Homebrew installed on wii
Homebrew channel launches no problem

I then cleared the same SD card (micro SD with adapter, 2GB)
Reformatted as per guides
I downloaded, from the Project M website, the HomeBrew Zip
Unzipped and copied files to SD Card

Opened HomeBrew Channel
Project M Launcher appears
Select that, it loads to 100%
I get the screen where it allows me to click Play (or update, ad ons etc)
It clunks and loops and takes me back to the Wii menu

Pressed 2 on the remote - another option came up
Project M (this time not the launcher)
Same thing happens

Tried cleaning the disc.
Tried reformatting, downloading from scratch, recopying to SD card
Same thing

tried with Wii connected to wifi, also tried with Wii disconnected.

Also have a WiiU available.

I feel I am so close and yet....

Help VERY MUCH appreciated! I can't bear my son's disappointment!

sesmart51

Smash Rookie
Maybe I should add:

Release 3.6 downloaded
SD card not named project M
No GameCube memory card
SSB disc inserted

Last edited:

MexicanPygmy

Smash Cadet
I think you have to go in the actual brawl game and go to the stage builder. Then it should give you a green screen and it will load project m. I don't use the disc but it seems like that's why it's not letting you load it.

sesmart51

Smash Rookie
I think you have to go in the actual brawl game and go to the stage builder. Then it should give you a green screen and it will load project m. I don't use the disc but it seems like that's why it's not letting you load it.
Thank you so much for reading and replying. I thought it was only the hackless version where you went into the actual game - i'll give it a shot though!

MexicanPygmy

Smash Cadet
Thank you so much for reading and replying. I thought it was only the hackless version where you went into the actual game - i'll give it a shot though!
No problem, if it doesn't work, you may have to reinstall it because I'm pretty sure you should be able to launch it from the homebrew channel if you have the hacked version.

sesmart51

Smash Rookie
Tried the tip provided but no joy.
Tried reformatting the SD drive and reinstalling the files - no joy.

A couple more points / specific questions in case anybody picks this up:

After I installed the homebrew channel I reformatted the SD card to reuse it.
This means I have no 'private' folder on the SD card. Issue or not?
I tried adding the private folder back in from the Letterbox HBC download but this made no difference.

I'm UK based, so am I understanding it right that for a hackless version (where you launch the game and access PM from within the vault) I'd need PAL, which is not yet available?

I'm not being lazy - I have read loads of threads... honest :)
I'm trying what I can pick up from other tips but nothing is working yet. I'm wondering if I am missing a trick or skipping a step....

Thanks so much to anybody who has taken the time to read my thread x

MexicanPygmy

Smash Cadet
Try to use Gecko launcher, I forgot about it. Since you are using PAL, I don't think there is a way to use PM until they release a version for it.

Narpas_sword

Hi @ S sesmart51

Since you are in a PAL region, you aren't actually able to use the PAL disc to run Project M.
It is still possible to play, however it requires you use a USB loader with your homebrew software to load an NTSC copy of brawl.

The only way I am allowed to recommend obtaining an NTSC ISO of brawl is to purchase a Disc from overseas. you may then use the app for homebrew named 'cleanrip' to create an ISO file of your purchased disc.

Obtaining ISO's other ways is not allowed to be discussed in the forum.

Once you are in possession of an NTSC brawl ISO, there is an in depth guide here on how to get Project M running on a PAL wii.
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-on-a-pal-wii-updated.356936/

I've used this guide 3 times, and its very easy and details the steps thoroughly.
Any other questions ill do my best to help with.

heavyxfriends

Smash Rookie
Hi @ S sesmart51

Since you are in a PAL region, you aren't actually able to use the PAL disc to run Project M.
It is still possible to play, however it requires you use a USB loader with your homebrew software to load an NTSC copy of brawl.

The only way I am allowed to recommend obtaining an NTSC ISO of brawl is to purchase a Disc from overseas. you may then use the app for homebrew named 'cleanrip' to create an ISO file of your purchased disc.

Obtaining ISO's other ways is not allowed to be discussed in the forum.

Once you are in possession of an NTSC brawl ISO, there is an in depth guide here on how to get Project M running on a PAL wii.
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-on-a-pal-wii-updated.356936/

I've used this guide 3 times, and its very easy and details the steps thoroughly.
Any other questions ill do my best to help with.
If you own a Pal Brawl Disc, I don't see a problem with downloading a NTSC ISO

If you're still trying to get PM on Pal, I'd advise reading through the whole of the thread posted above and following the guide. Although the Dropbox link is dead, I have recently posted the name of the files you need.

PsyRex

Smash Cadet
I'm currently having the same problem, except I have an NTSC Wii, so that isn't the problem. According to the website it should be as simple as unzipping the files into the root of the SD but every time I click that play button I get sent right back to the wii menu.

Narpas_sword

I'm currently having the same problem, except I have an NTSC Wii, so that isn't the problem. According to the website it should be as simple as unzipping the files into the root of the SD but every time I click that play button I get sent right back to the wii menu.
Have you renamed the SD card? if you have, it shouldnt be anything like 'project m'. It's best to leave it unnamed.
Is your SD card 1 or 2 GB? (not an SDHC card)
Did you delete custom stages?

Top Bottom