• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M evo 2015/a chat with the community about Nintendo and project m

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
Hello! I am a recently new competitive player for Smash and I have been seeing Project M at a lot of tourneys. But on the Evo website it does not show that Project M is going to be a side tourney like last year. Can somebody clarify this for me? Because I have no idea and I am hoping the "Apex effect" doesn't happen to Project M at evo.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
It probably will be. But you'll more than likely have to ask around, those generally aren't advertised on the actual site.

zman804

Smash Ace
I ran a PM at Evo 2014 with @ metroid1117 metroid1117 , and I've been talking to the Vegas PM scene to make sure they bring setups for the BYOC room. I hope to run it again this year, last year was nuts. We ran a 63 man tournament on like 5 setups in ~4 hours.

metroid1117

Smash Master
That was so stressful LOL, I hope we have more setups this year.

Hello! I am a recently new competitive player for Smash and I have been seeing Project M at a lot of tourneys. But on the Evo website it does not show that Project M is going to be a side tourney like last year. Can somebody clarify this for me? Because I have no idea and I am hoping the "Apex effect" doesn't happen to Project M at evo.
Community-hosted side-events like that aren't advertised by Evo, it typically spreads via word-of-mouth and social media.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Would it be streamed like last time?
Last year it got streamed only because community members like Chibo (and maybe zman? I don't remember tbh, but I know he recorded) tethered their stream setups to their phones; if something similar happens this year then it'll get streamed, but if not, some matches will definitely be recorded.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Can we decide a place (this thread? A new one?) which will be known as the go to for information about a community hosted side event there? Everyone's saying it's known by word of mouth, but like, we can decide where to throw the info now.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
It sucks that Nintendo wants PM out of sight, some invitational players to the Wii U smash event were even told to not play it :/

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Is this a confirmed thing , or a rumor>?

because spreading rumors is not a healthy thing to be doing...
Well I was told that by some of the invitational players personally... I thought this was a known thing

<_< >_> Do I have to go into hiding now?

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
Nah dude, Nintendo's gonna assassinate me, their kid-friendly marketing is clearly just a ploy to cover up their true nature

JK man lol but now I feel like I said something that was meant to stay quiet haha I ended up being that guy
lol So you're from Rhode Island too eh? I was born in Rhode Island but i now live in dominican republic.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I have heard from some people that KDJ was contracted to not play PM.
Whether it was because of the invitational, the gamestop prank, or being on Liquid is unknown. Seeing how Peachyhime plays PM still, that's clearly not it though.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Whether it was because of the invitational, the gamestop prank, or being on Liquid is unknown. Seeing how Peachyhime plays PM still, that's clearly not it though.
As a very close friend of KDJ, I can tell you it's not true lol
KDJ doesn't really play smash anymore because he has hand issues and is recovering

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
Guys its because Project M is Nintendo's worst enemy. If more people are seeing pros playing project m where do you think the scrubs are gonna go play? And that means that Nintendo loses money because people are playing a free mod of brawl. If nintendo doesn't get rid of project m it will grow into something HUGE even bigger than now. But in all honesty their forgetting the most important thing in the formula for a game. The gamer. They seem to forget that the reason we play project m because its fun to be able to wavedash and l cancel with a bunch of characters that weren't in melee like pit and Lucas. They think that at the end of melees lifetime because their will eventually be an end to melee. They think that project m will take that gap. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just buy out project m and let the project m be while working for them. It might not be the best financial investment they have ever made but at the end of the day it doesn't come down to the profits the publicity or even the game. Its about the gamer. And this is what us gamers want. This probably will never happen because Nintendo is stubborn af. But we can only hope that Nintendo doesn't strip us from a beautiful thing.

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
KDJ doesn't really play smash anymore because he has hand issues and is recovering
I miss KDJ so much. Tell him we hope he recovers soon. :(

MLGF

Smash Lord
Guess some guys I know were telling me misinformation.
My apologies for spreading it :/

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
Guys its because Project M is Nintendo's worst enemy. If more people are seeing pros playing project m where do you think the scrubs are gonna go play? And that means that Nintendo loses money because people are playing a free mod of brawl. If nintendo doesn't get rid of project m it will grow into something HUGE even bigger than now. But in all honesty their forgetting the most important thing in the formula for a game. The gamer. They seem to forget that the reason we play project m because its fun to be able to wavedash and l cancel with a bunch of characters that weren't in melee like pit and Lucas. They think that at the end of melees lifetime because their will eventually be an end to melee. They think that project m will take that gap. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just buy out project m and let the project m be while working for them. It might not be the best financial investment they have ever made but at the end of the day it doesn't come down to the profits the publicity or even the game. Its about the gamer. And this is what us gamers want. This probably will never happen because Nintendo is stubborn af. But we can only hope that Nintendo doesn't strip us from a beautiful thing.
It's more easier said then done. Y'know it's not as easy as you think.

Edit 2:
Guess some guys I know were telling me misinformation.
My apologies for spreading it :/
Don't Sweat it. It's ok.@ MLGF MLGF

Last edited:

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
Thank you! I'll let him know for sure :)

Nah no worries man, stuff like that spreads no matter what.
He just hopes to recover soon and get back into it all
No Thank you for reading my message the pleasure is mines kind sir.

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
It's more easier said then done. Y'know it's not as easy as you think.

Edit 2: @ MLGF MLGF
True but is anything they do easy? Like mashahiro samurai basically getting whipped by Nintendo for more dlc. Nintendo just needs to swallow their pride for once and do something bold. They probably won't but project m isn't going anywhere no matter how many tournaments Nintendo kicks project m out of

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
True but is anything they do easy? Like mashahiro samurai basically getting whipped by Nintendo for more dlc. Nintendo just needs to swallow their pride for once and do something bold. They probably won't but project m isn't going anywhere no matter how many tournaments Nintendo kicks project m out of
Like tomorrow, tomorrow is the balance patch of Smash 4. Nintendo's Main focus is Smash 4's Balance Patch and the Mewtwo, and Lucas DLC. Also Project M won't die. aslong as people play it it'll never die.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
As far as I'm aware it is really the fact that Project M is a Moderation of Brawl, and that's really it aside from a few small other things:
1. They can't send a C&D letter because it really isn't harming the community in any way (or gaining any profit), but Nintendo as a corporation has the Japanese way of looking at game development and just the development of series in general. Like how they used to feel about competitive games. I still don't really believe Nintendo wants to shut out the Project M as a whole from competitive community, if they did Nintendo would've stopped the work on it all together.
Just to explain: competitive gaming is mostly against how Nintendo feels about gaming in general. Basically, I can't find the original quote or anything, but the general way Nintendo looks at gaming is this: "build all games equally in a way that gamers of any age can enjoy it. We will make the game so it can be enjoyed by all." And to them for a while, the competitive scene was not something they saw in this regard. But now they're looking at it as if: "So this game can be enjoyed by someone who loves a good race, but could be conceived competitively." Basically, now they're trying to look at things from more than one perspective, I mean during Brawl I believe Sakurai actually said in an interview he actually has a strong dislike of the competitive community. But obviously Nintendo is starting to look at things differently, and from more than one perspective. That game could easily become competitive, but it looks like so much fun all at once. I don't know about you guys but I am stoked for that game. But, essentially Nintendo can't just pick up the Project M developers because the corporation itself is still very Japan-esque in the sense of business.
2. The above reason (read the last sentence) is really why I wish the Nintendo company was less stubborn about things like hacking, and modding so, essentially what happened to make the Team Fortress IP with Steam could happen to the PMDT. But as far as I am aware, the PMDT doesn't really want this to happen nor did they do what Team Fortress did because as far as I am aware: the guys who made Team Fortress were not apart of Steam before they were coerced into working with Steam. So, I wish Nintendo would at least be willing to share the spotlight with the PMDT in the competitive community, or have the "Western Developer" way of looking at this.
3. Keep me posted on if there will be a side event guys!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So are we talking about EVO or is this another impending doom, Project M vs Nintendo, My Dad Works At Nintendo And Told Me This thread?
Let's keep it to the former.

Last edited:

InfamousLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Proj3ctMam0
3DS FC
4570-8693-6006
No. @ Strong Badam Strong Badam We are still discussing about PM at EVO. The conversation just got out of topic.

Last edited:

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
No. @ Strong Badam Strong Badam We are still discussing about PM at EVO. The conversation just got out of topic.
So are we talking about EVO or is this another impending doom, Project M vs Nintendo, My Dad Works At Nintendo And Told Me This thread?
@ Brim Brim well I started talking about Nintendo vs project m of because what happened at apex. I know the reason why Nintendo shut down project m for apex but to me its still not right. Project m is made for competitive play. And removing a competitive game because Nintendo can associate with a modded one of their games really bothered me. Nintendo never wanted to make a competitive smash game or at least that was their intentions. So we, the gamers did it ourselves. What I am trying to say is that I would like for Nintendo and project m to coexist. Because neither sides is looking to intentionally ruin eachother. Also and I am just going to touch on this. I don't understand why Nintendo thinks that all ages won't like melee. When I was younger I loved that game with a passion. Even though I knew I couldn't wave dash or l cancel. Just because the pros can do all this crazy stuff doesn't mean it discourages the rest of the community. I would think that it would drive the community to become better and play more. While enjoying the experience. Is that really a problem?

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
Also I apologize for going a little out of topic on this thread. Its because Nintendo and project m has been an ongoing debate with almost everybody I know who plays smash. And I might have gotten a little too carried away with what I said but I am hoping that us as the smash community could do something about it.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Yea I talked to both KDJ and Peachyhime at SKATR or whatever it was called, Peachyhime said Nintendo told her not to play PM, she said nah **** that, then Nintendo said as long as she doesn't appear on stream then it's fine, could've just been during the time of the invitational but I didn't ask

Well I mean is it a surprise they don't like they mod? haha it's not like it's something no one expected

ant363

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4300-9683-8797
Yea I talked to both KDJ and Peachyhime at SKATR or whatever it was called, Peachyhime said Nintendo told her not to play PM, she said nah **** that, then Nintendo said as long as she doesn't appear on stream then it's fine, could've just been during the time of the invitational but I didn't ask

Well I mean is it a surprise they don't like they mod? haha it's not like it's something no one expected
Not surprised at all tbh

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You got proof for any of that?

The only anti-PM thing is that they can't directly support it, treehouse liked it and the Twitter post Hime was remove for the same reason you can't talk about PM on mii verse.

I'm going to assume a lot of this is lies until I see directly chats or something.

As for EVO, casual one is possible. I'd enter it.

Last edited:

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Nope haha it was in person, but it's ok if you don't believe me, I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place anyways, but I did so that's that, but apparently we're off topic and I think it would be best to just forget it now, not like anything could be done anyways so we should just let it be. I'm putting more time back into this game since I'm between jobsites at the moment so I'm going to go discuss Link on the character boards lol

Top Bottom