• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: M Disc

CeLL

Smash Lord
Would it be possible to write the modified Brawl ISO to a disc and use it on a non-hacked Wii somehow? I use Homebrew, but I'm curious about this. It would be pretty cool to have a disc to take to your friend's house or something.

Because I was bored, I made this. Whether this is possible or not I made it.
Disc.png

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You need a modded Wii in order to play burned ISOs.

Is a tiny SD card that you can use to boot P:M on any unhacked Wii not convenient enough already?

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Would it be possible to write the modified Brawl ISO to a disc and use it on a non-hacked Wii somehow? I use Homebrew, but I'm curious about this. It would be pretty cool to have a disc to take to your friend's house or something.

Because I was bored, I made this. Whether this is possible or not I made it.
if it were possible to play burned games and run homebrew on a non-modded wii then why do you think people mod their wiis? they just love doing extra work for no reason?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
You need a modded Wii in order to play burned ISOs.

Is a tiny SD card that you can use to boot P:M on any unhacked Wii not convenient enough already?
Yeah, but it would be cool if you could put the disc in and have Project: M show up instead of Brawl. Although apparently that's not possible. Too bad.

Maybe at some point in the distant future, non-Brawl Wii hackers will figure out how to get burned ISOs to run on unmodded Wiis. Then it could work. Of course by then we'll have Project: B because Smash 4 was so bad that people wanted to make it more like Brawl, and PM will be irrelevant.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
BY DEFINITION, IF YOU MAKE YOUR WII RUN A BURNED GAME, THAT'S A MOD

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
BY DEFINITION, IF YOU MAKE YOUR WII RUN A BURNED GAME, THAT'S A MOD
I didn't say anything about modding the Wii. In fact, I specifically said that the Wii wasn't touched, hence "unmodded." A burned ISO by definition can be modified. An unmodded Wii by definition cannot be modified. So when I say "how to get burned ISOs to run on unmodded Wiis," it unambiguously means, "a way to modify a burned ISO in a way that will make it able to be run on an unmodded Wii," but is just a bit more concise. As soon as you say, "make your Wii," it is clear that you did not understand the sentence. English... it's a useful thing to understand.

There is undoubtedly a way that exists, due to the nature of programming itself, to create a modified ISO that would run as a normal game would on any Wii. For some reason I strongly doubt that Nintendo did the only thing that can stop this, which is to have a copy of every Wii ISO on every Wii and have it check that the ISO on the disc is identical to the one on the Wii before allowing it to run. It's just that it could be extremely difficult if not near impossible to do. Of course this is not true if it is a physical security feature that has to do with the disc itself rather than the data on it. In that case it would be much more difficult, but still plenty possible. I don't know how the Wii detects and prevents from running unofficial ISOs on discs, and as such I can not say which case above is true, but due to the nature of programming, if it is possible for Nintendo to make a new Wii game, it is possible for someone to make an unofficial ISO run on an unmodded Wii.

I just didn't know if people had figured out the security feature, or even if there was one, since the console was released almost 8 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom