• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M/Brawl Model Compatibility

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I recently downloaded a Light Suit Samus model to replace the Dark Suit, but found that loading any stage with her selected freezes the game. Can I take this to mean that custom models made specifically for Brawl do not work in Project M, or did I just pick a crappy model?

If they're not compatible, is there a way to make them so? I'd really like to experiment with the suit's elemental effects to see if I couldn't get a Light/Dark Beam thing going instead of the Plasma/Ice Beams.

Anyway, if there's some way to make these compatible or whatever, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Your issue is probably filesize with something. Freezes at Stage Select can be from a variety of issues in the stage, character, or Battle Portraits.
Also, it sounds like you're talking about a PSA(moveset/GFX) edit. PSAs made for Brawl WILL NOT work in Project M. :p

UltimateWario

Smash Master
No no, I'm not trying to change Samus's moves, just change her model to the Light Suit. As far as the game has ever loaded is the first frame of a fight, with Samus exiting her Save Point, but it'll immediately freeze. Rather than use a snippet of her CSP for her Battle Portrait, should I just jury-rig one from her standard one (as in, just color it grey or something)? I've read that Battle Portraits and CSPs are pretty picky when it comes to file size/number of colors/etc., so I'll mess around with it a little bit.

Also, when referring to the Fire/Ice to Light/Dark, I merely meant changing the elemental effect flags on her attacks (ala Dr. Mario's electrical FSmash), but that's probably outside of my expertise.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
As long as the bones 100% match the rig of the original Brawl model, and they're not a PSA or size mod, they'll work, regardless of whether it's Brawl, Project M, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, etc.

Do you have a link to the model?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I figured it out; thanks for the help, guys!

Turns out the Battle Portrait I'd cut out for it was too big/complicated; I simply took one of Samus's original Battle Portraits, Photoshopped it totally grey, and slapped it in there. Not only is it functional, it also serves pretty well visually. Unfortunately, the model isn't as complicated as the CSP would suggest; it's simply Samus's vanilla model with a Light Suit texture over it. Looks like I've still got some searching to do.

Top Bottom