• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M at Blacklisted: A New Hope

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Thank you very much for the microphone drop; as a legal major, the misinformation regarding Project M's percieved legal grey area is spread so abundantly throughout the Smash community that it threatens to give me a brain hemorrhage. I would be remiss to not disclose that I did indeed click this article with the complete knowledge that it was going to frustrate me. I always love watching people defend something that they cannot begin comprehend without thinking for themselves. This is why the media is such a prominent influence on our cognition, if it can be read, it will be believed.
Sorry but are you and Iceweasel arguing profiting or making money off of an unsupported mod of an official game isn't legally grey? I agree that Project M itself in its existence, or playing Project M isn't doing something illegal. But that doesn't mean Twitch wants to profit off of Project M streams, whether that's for political reasons (managing their relationship with Nintendo) or legal reasons (not wanting to open themselves up to legal suits--even if those law suits would most likely fail). You are right that streaming in general is not protected and is all legally grey, but you would be wrong in asserting all legally grey is of the same shade.

There are some calculated risks Twitch is willing to take--building a platform to stream games without first acquiring consent of all those game developers. There are some calculated risks they are unwilling to take because they are greater risks--namely, profiting off of Project M via subscription buttons.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I don't think that's arguable at this point, heh. I didn't personally have an issue with the article, though others did. I just wanted to correct your use of download counters; of all the possible metrics to use, it's the least applicable for one trying to argue that the game has declined from 3.02 in any sense. Good luck with Blacklisted, I'm excited to watch how the bracket unfolds. Definitely gonna try to hit up Guts if that gets announced enough ahead of time.
We will Miss you and we will definitely give you more time to get here for GUTS. This event was kind of dreamt up very quickly :D.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry but are you and Iceweasel arguing profiting or making money off of an unsupported mod of an official game isn't legally grey? I agree that Project M itself in its existence, or playing Project M isn't doing something illegal. But that doesn't mean Twitch wants to profit off of Project M streams, whether that's for political reasons (managing their relationship with Nintendo) or legal reasons (not wanting to open themselves up to legal suits--even if those law suits would most likely fail). You are right that streaming in general is not protected and is all legally grey, but you would be wrong in asserting all legally grey is of the same shade.

There are some calculated risks Twitch is willing to take--building a platform to stream games without first acquiring consent of all those game developers. There are some calculated risks they are unwilling to take because they are greater risks--namely, profiting off of Project M via subscription buttons.
Of course not. The first thing you learn about the law is that our entire system is grey. There is no black or white. I am just asserting that the misinformation frustrates me, that was literally my only claim. I cannot speak for Ice, but I highly doubt he was insinuating anything to that degree either.

SealCancel.

Smash Rookie
I really know this is the wrong place to post this. But how do I create my own fourm? I have been looking for almost an hour. Im on mobile, iOS to be exact. Where do I make my own thread? Is there a button? PLEASE REPLY :(

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Of course not. The first thing you learn about the law is that our entire system is grey. There is no black or white. I am just asserting that the misinformation frustrates me, that was literally my only claim. I cannot speak for Ice, but I highly doubt he was insinuating anything to that degree either.
Okay, so then I wasn't wrong, Sponsors like twitch were under pressure from legal realities and you guys jumped the gun in presuming I didn't know what I was talking about. Glad we could come to that understanding.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
You've been destroyed by your competitive friend one too many times, I take it?
I'm not into the competitive scene, though I have won numerous matches against my competitive friends. I just don't like the idea of Smash being centered solely on its competitive possibilities, as it functions better as a party game rather than a competitive fighter. I think it's cool how people found Melee's competitive potential, as it is a great game that can be played on both a "for fun" and a competitive level. Melee has always been my favorite in the series. I'm not fond of Project M's attempt to make Smash into a game only for competitive players. Though, I am even less fond of Brawl's attempt to alienate competitive players. A balance of competition and "party fun" is needed to make a great Smash game, which Melee delivers on perfectly.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
No.
Project M is highly successful. Did you SEE the hype when 3.5 was released?

LONG LIVE PROJECT M!
Yes, but the hype was only from the competitive community. A Smash game is meant for everybody, both casual and competitive players. Casual players have no interest in Project M, and likely lack knowledge of its existence. Project M caters only to competitive players, whereas the best Smash game, Melee, caters to both types of players. One of the things that makes Smash what it is happens to be its ability to appeal to all types of players, from the most casual to the most competitive. Brawl is at the same fault as Project M, as it tries to alienate competitive players. A balance of competition and "party fun" is needed to create a great Smash game, which Melee does perfectly.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Yes, but the hype was only from the competitive community. A Smash game is meant for everybody, both casual and competitive players. Casual players have no interest in Project M, and likely lack knowledge of its existence. Project M caters only to competitive players, whereas the best Smash game, Melee, caters to both types of players. One of the things that makes Smash what it is happens to be its ability to appeal to all types of players, from the most casual to the most competitive. Brawl is at the same fault as Project M, as it tries to alienate competitive players. A balance of competition and "party fun" is needed to create a great Smash game, which Melee does perfectly.
Not only am I a casual player who prefers Project M to every other Smash game, I both personally know and see people on Smashboards all the time who are casual players and play Project M. I agree that a good mix of competitive and casual gameplay is the way to go, and Project M actually has that. With the sheer amount of extra fan content and the fact that none of the party mechanics were removed, I think PM makes a perfectly fine party game, certainly better than Melee.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
PM has some of the best casual stages ever. Bowser's Castle is amazing. I see people having just as much fun with PM casually as they have playing other Smash games. Now that they have auto l canceling in PM there is less casual players getting deterred by the mechanic.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Not only am I a casual player who prefers Project M to every other Smash game, I both personally know and see people on Smashboards all the time who are casual players and play Project M. I agree that a good mix of competitive and casual gameplay is the way to go, and Project M actually has that. With the sheer amount of extra fan content and the fact that none of the party mechanics were removed, I think PM makes a perfectly fine party game, certainly better than Melee.
That's a good opinion about it, as it certainly can be played as a party game. Melee simply does it better, especially with the stage choices, which have many more exciting and varied features...long live PokeFloats.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Hell yeah! Trying to get some buddies together to watch the stream and partake of beverages/snacks :p

4tlas

Smash Lord
That's a good opinion about it, as it certainly can be played as a party game. Melee simply does it better, especially with the stage choices, which have many more exciting and varied features...long live PokeFloats.
I'm going to have to disagree there. While I LOVE Pokefloats, there are many more cool casual Brawl stages than Melee. Add to that all of the mod stages that exist for Brawl, which are pretty accessible due to most PM players clearly appreciating modding to some extent, and you have a ton of cool stages to play with.

Of course you are welcome to enjoy whatever you like, but your post that started this debate read "Project M is what would happen to Smash if hardcore nerds were assigned to develop the game. Death to Project M" which, if that's your actual opinion, is not only disagreeable but also inflammatory. You said that you prefer Smash as a casual game and I agree with you, but I think Project M can be played wonderfully as a casual game. There is no reason to say anything like your original post, even if you dislike Project M.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Everything you are writing makes me think you haven't been paying attention to the recent Project M patch. Let me go over some things Project M added that make it undoubtedly the best smash even for casual players.

A. With the alternate stage loader, they have brought back every fun Brawl stage, the most fun N64 stages, the most fun casual Melee stages while ALSO providing competitive alternates. In the new version of project m, you can hold "L" and select many competitive stages (warioware) to get their party brawl versions. Also, wonderful fun n64 stages have been brought back, like Peach's castle n64 with the weird ramps in the sky, saffron city, hyrule castle. They've also introduced new fun party stages like Bowser's castle.

B. They have added and improved different modes to be more fun for a casual audience. In Stamina mode, you can actually have stocks nad raise stamina all the way to 999%. You can also remove blastzones so if the screen wraps, and when you get smacked through the left or top blastzone, you'll come out the opposite side. its seriously hilarious. They added turbo mode, which i guess is a bit omre competitive based.

C. They've added permanent access to more joke characters like Giga Bowser, Wario Man, and Solo Popo to use whenever you want!

D. It has the biggest cast ever, without leaving out any favorites from Brawl or Melee (except pikachu i guess).

E. The costumes for every character are amazing and varied and add a lot of visual delight to the game

F. Unique final smashes for all the pokemon, roy, and mewtwo.

G. They balanced all the items including Pokeballs to make them more fun. This point particularly proves without a doubt that prat of PM was designed for the casual audience.

I really don't understand how you can think Melee is a better casual game than PM but you are entitled to your opinions. I would think if you could buy Project M off a store shelf, it would be the most popular even amongst casual fans for no other reason than having 41 characters and the largest quantity of competiitive AND party stages thanks to the alternate stage loader.

Top Bottom