• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M and Texture Hacks Questions!

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Heya! Alex here. :)

So, getting my Wiiu next paycheck, and I wanted to have all my questions answered before I get it, so I can quickly throw on P:M and start practicing to play against you guys. Ill just start from the top!

1. I have read you HAVE to have a 2gig SD card due to the Wii's system, but if I am on a Wiiu, can I get something bigger? I plan to have alot of textures, so Id want alot of memory to store them (not sure how large texture files are, so if 2 gigs is more than enough then please let me know!)

2. Is the amount of texture hacks I can have on each character limited to how many colour swaps that character has in vanilla Brawl?

3. I will be using BrawlVault, any other sites to keep in mind for textures? Also, say I download a file that is say.. a whole PSA and texture and such for some random character they made a move set for- could I in theory just delete the PSA and only add the texture to keep the character the same, only aesthetically different?

4. I noticed that in Project M, the menu and victory screen are different colours opposed to vanilla Brawl, is there a way I could turn those back? (I much prefer the clean, white look!)

5. Is there currently anyway I can replace SFX and voices with their japanese equivalents? I much prefer Ike and Pit's *** voices :o. Also, is there a way I can use my own music files and put them into the game as stage music?

Many thanks to any help, and apologies if tis thread is misplaced. :)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
1. No, and it's because of Brawl, not the Wii. Brawl was made before the Wii was updated to allow SDHC cards.
2. For now. I wouldn't be surprised if the PMBR includes cBliss in the future, though.
3. Don't remember the names, but BrawlVault has links to several other websites for individual teams.
4. I think so, but I don't know the exact file name.
5. SFX: Yes, but for now, it's only through the hard-to-use Riivolution. InternetExplorer made his badass new SFX code though. I'd be surprised if this doesn't make it in a future release as well. Music, on the other hand, is very easy to add. You have to use .brstm files, which can be made with BrawlBox (the same program used to put together custom texture packs).

I have a PM question myself: How did you guys make the characters smaller/bigger? Is it a universal mechanic or a feature of every individual character's file? I'm beta testing a PSA+model import that was made for vBrawl, and I'm wondering if it's the right size since I'm using PM.

Prince Longstrok

1. No, and it's because of Brawl, not the Wii. Brawl was made before the Wii was updated to allow SDHC cards.
2. For now. I wouldn't be surprised if the PMBR includes cBliss in the future, though.
3. Don't remember the names, but BrawlVault has links to several other websites for individual teams.
4. I think so, but I don't know the exact file name.
5. SFX: Yes, but for now, it's only through the hard-to-use Riivolution. InternetExplorer made his badass new SFX code though. I'd be surprised if this doesn't make it in a future release as well. Music, on the other hand, is very easy to add. You have to use .brstm files, which can be made with BrawlBox (the same program used to put together custom texture packs).

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! :)

to continue,

1. Ah I see, thank you :) Also, should I be worried about memory space with texture hacks?
2. I had just read that to, and it seems it is usable at this point, but im going to just limit myself for now.
3. Okay! Thanks!
4. Thanks, will browse brawlvault :)
5. Will definatly look into this Brawlbox once I get everything all settled and comfy. I want to add Duel of the Fates and Battle of Heroes from Star Wars into some stages xD

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Yup, no prob. :) 1. Texture hacks don't take up that much space, so I would say "no".

Prince Longstrok

Yup, no prob. :) 1. Texture hacks don't take up that much space, so I would say "no".

Sweet :) If I may ask one more thing.. What exactly is a vertex? I notice that word thrown around alot in descriptions :\ Would it be weird/annoying to ask for a basic list of common acronyms and their description from you?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
A vertex is just a point. When people say something like "vertex hack", it means the 3d model's points were moved around to make different shapes. I don't know of any brawl modding acronyms to be honest.

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
If I may ask one more thing.. What exactly is a vertex? I notice that word thrown around alot in descriptions :\
A "vertex" is an edit of a model from Brawl. It uses the original model, but just an edited version. The other type is an "import" which is a model from another game that has been imported into Brawl.

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
A "vertex" is an edit of a model from Brawl. It uses the original model, but just an edited version. The other type is an "import" which is a model from another game that has been imported into Brawl.
EDIT: It seems Flowteau beat me to it.

Prince Longstrok

A vertex is just a point. When people say something like "vertex hack", it means the 3d model's points were moved around to make different shapes. I don't know of any brawl modding acronyms to be honest.
oh! So when people say they had to "change the bones", it means they had to stretch and edit the vertex of a character to say.. in example..

for fox, if you have a skin where the model doesnt have the fox snout, one would shorten or delete the vertex or bone?

Lakitwo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lakitwo
oh! So when people say they had to "change the bones", it means they had to stretch and edit the vertex of a character to say.. in example..

for fox, if you have a skin where the model doesnt have the fox snout, one would shorten or delete the vertex or bone?
No. The bones are what animate the model. Editing bones can mess up a character's moveset, and will cause the game to desync when used on Wi-fi. A vertex edit just edits the polygons that make up a model. Vertex edits and imports don't cause the game to desync on Wi-fi.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
yeah, bones are not the same thing as polygons, but you've got the basic idea.

Prince Longstrok

No. The bones are what animate the model. Editing bones can mess up a character's moveset, and will cause the game to desync when used on Wi-fi. A vertex edit just edits the polygons that make up a model. Vertex edits and imports don't cause the game to desync on Wi-fi.
Isee, so when someone does that, being changed Fox to be snout-less, he is just changing the vertex- the "snout" would still exist and is recognized by the engine and game, but aesthetically you cannot see it.

Am I right? :s

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Out of Curiousity, is that why the shadows are always the original character's and not the imported?

Top Bottom