• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project B

Project B?

• Total voters

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances that, if/when Wii U modding is possible, that we'll get a mod to make the game more like Brawl?
A Project M sequel would be much more likely, and I would probably play that before even considering Project B, but will it happen eventually?

shapular

Smash Ace
Do people ever say Project B as anything other than a troll suggestion? The difference between Brawl players and Melee players is that Brawl players are capable of moving on and accepting and enjoying new games for what they are. I think most Brawl players are quite happy with tripping being removed, planking being nerfed, and all the other little changes Smash 4 makes. That's why we won't need a Project B. However, if there ends up being a Meta Knight 2.0 or some weird physics thing that makes fighting hard for some reason, I wouldn't mind another Balanced Brawl or Brawl+ type thing (but hopefully we would get patches to fix things like that).

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Do people ever say Project B as anything other than a troll suggestion? The difference between Brawl players and Melee players is that Brawl players are capable of moving on and accepting and enjoying new games for what they are. I think most Brawl players are quite happy with tripping being removed, planking being nerfed, and all the other little changes Smash 4 makes. That's why we won't need a Project B. However, if there ends up being a Meta Knight 2.0 or some weird physics thing that makes fighting hard for some reason, I wouldn't mind another Balanced Brawl or Brawl+ type thing (but hopefully we would get patches to fix things like that).
Well I'd say its a little unfair to group fans of melee together and say they can't accept change, but I see your point to a degree and I pretty much agree that there would be no point to an overhaul mod that re-implements tripping. I could see there being mods for cut elements of Brawl, since there's a lot of good ones, but that's about it

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Honestly it looks like Smash 4 is taking all the good bits of Brawl and implementing them (I can't think of any good ones left out off the top of my head, though obviously we haven't had time to examine the new game fully yet), so I don't see it ever happening.

And as for the Melee thing, I wouldn't say that they can't accept change, however looking at the fact that there is a mod that changes Brawl into 90% Melee and that the Melee scene has dubbed that The Game, it certainly appears that way. Honestly the most oft-cited problem with the Smash community as a whole is the huge divide between the Melee/P:M half and the Brawl (and to a lesser extent, already, Smash 4) side, and that's a problem I see a lot.

Though while I'm not a fan myself, I can certainly understand the love for P:M seeing as Brawl did have a major set of problems (MK, Tripping, etc).

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it looks like Smash 4 is taking all the good bits of Brawl and implementing them (I can't think of any good ones left out off the top of my head, though obviously we haven't had time to examine the new game fully yet), so I don't see it ever happening.

And as for the Melee thing, I wouldn't say that they can't accept change, however looking at the fact that there is a mod that changes Brawl into 90% Melee and that the Melee scene has dubbed that The Game, it certainly appears that way. Honestly the most oft-cited problem with the Smash community as a whole is the huge divide between the Melee/P:M half and the Brawl (and to a lesser extent, already, Smash 4) side, and that's a problem I see a lot.

Though while I'm not a fan myself, I can certainly understand the love for P:M seeing as Brawl did have a major set of problems (MK, Tripping, etc).
Well there are still good/okay things in Brawl that are either deconfirmed for or are unlikely to return in Smash 4. There's the old ledge mechanics, gliding, transformations, adventure mode, and possibly a few characters. There are also people (though few) who prefer Brawl's physics, which aren't going to be in Smash 4. The main argument here is whether or not all that is as worth resurrecting as Melee's gameplay was.
I think the main reason Project M exists in Brawl to begin with is due to the stark difference between the two games. Since the two games are almost entirely different, it's not impossible that some people are simply drawn to faster gameplay. Since some parts of Brawl were also objectively better, it's also plausible that someone would want a slice of it. The game exists to spark life in a 13 year old community that was probably sick of being thought of as the Fox only nofunzone.
Someone else here also brought up a mod similar to BBrawl, or a simple balance mod while keeping the core the same. Project M eventually tried to serve the former purpose of balancing the game as well, and I'd say it nearly succeeded. This and Project M 2 are the most plausible to happen in Smash 4.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Well there are still good/okay things in Brawl that are either deconfirmed for or are unlikely to return in Smash 4. There's the old ledge mechanics, gliding, transformations, adventure mode, and possibly a few characters. There are also people (though few) who prefer Brawl's physics, which aren't going to be in Smash 4. The main argument here is whether or not all that is as worth resurrecting as Melee's gameplay was.
I think the main reason Project M exists in Brawl to begin with is due to the stark difference between the two games. Since the two games are almost entirely different, it's not impossible that some people are simply drawn to faster gameplay. Since some parts of Brawl were also objectively better, it's also plausible that someone would want a slice of it. The game exists to spark life in a 13 year old community that was probably sick of being thought of as the Fox only nofunzone.
Someone else here also brought up a mod similar to BBrawl, or a simple balance mod while keeping the core the same. Project M eventually tried to serve the former purpose of balancing the game as well, and I'd say it nearly succeeded. This and Project M 2 are the most plausible to happen in Smash 4.
I agree that the old ledge mechanics have potential to be something good that was removed, honestly forgot about that. Gliding as a concept seems silly to me in the genre of game that Smash is, though maybe that's just because of how ridiculous it is for MK. Characters probably, however I'm still hoping we'll get everyone (except probably Snake, I think we'd know by now with the 3rd party characters on the box...). As for Adventure Mode? That's not something that is likely to be covered by a "Project B" mod, to say nothing of how much Subspace Emissary was hated by everyone I know - this is entirely anecdotal support, however.

As for P:M, I can certainly see why it exists, and I honestly applaud it. My one main problem with P:M isn't even truly with it, it's simply the focusing point for the "Melee is better than Brawl and therefore Brawl is worthless" debate that I've grown ever so tired of by this point.

As for the good parts of Brawl, I agree with you completely that some would want parts of it in, as I myself am one of them. I'd also like to see parts of Melee in as well, and from the (admittedly limited) previews we've had of Smash 4 it looks to be right around the mix of the games I'm looking for; though I can't speak for anyone else of course.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Even if Smash 4 is terrible, I don't think it would be much of an encouragement to play a new Brawl as long as PM and Melee are still available.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Even if Smash 4 is terrible, I don't think it would be much of an encouragement to play a new Brawl as long as PM and Melee are still available.
This. I'm pretty sure at most they'd just include characters from Smash 4 into Project M.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
The new game has ALL Brawl newcomers except for Ivysaur and Squirtle, And the physics are the same.

SSS

Smash Ace
Project B changelist:

-Make one character crazy fast and amazing and beautiful and full of combos and mix-ups
-Make one character have an infinite chaingrab
-Nerf all other characters
-Add tripping

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Calling Project M just Brawl with Melee physics in general is just a shallow generalization. It tries to take all the good from Brawl, Melee, AND 64. Alot of Brawl techniques are still purposely left in Project M, after all.

Let's say we DO get a Project M sequel on the Wii U. If Brawl had anything usefull that enriched the depth of the game that Smash 4 won't have, they'll put it back in. Such as DACUS or Pivot Smashes.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Project B changelist:

-Make one character crazy fast and amazing and beautiful and full of combos and mix-ups
-Make one character have an infinite chaingrab
-Nerf all other characters
-Add tripping
I have to stop you right there and ask you: YOU WANT THERE TO BE TRIPPING?!
To each their own, I suppose.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
It's not likely but saying it not gonna happen is crazy. MK8 already has a fly hack, someone could just program trip every 1:27 seconds in SSB4 and call it a day.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well I'd say its a little unfair to group fans of melee together and say they can't accept change, but I see your point to a degree and I pretty much agree that there would be no point to an overhaul mod that re-implements tripping. I could see there being mods for cut elements of Brawl, since there's a lot of good ones, but that's about it
"Can't accept change"

*Smash 4 is actually more like Brawl than Melee*

troll harder

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Meleephobia is hilarious.

What would be the proposed changes for Project B, beside removing/adding extra tripping ?

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I don't think there'd be a reason for Project B. Like everyone else said, Smash 4 has all the good bits of brawl while getting rid of the bad ones. It's way more balanced, and there's actually decent enough hitstun for combos :p

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'm just going to say the chances of Project B is five times less likely to happen than a Project M^4. Smash 4 basically fixed the deficiencies from Brawl. Furthermore, the updates to the 3ds/wii U system makes it increasingly difficult. I'm not sure if Stage Builder might be the easiest answer this time around.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I don't care about mechanics. If they bring back Snake or Pokemon Trainer, I'll be super happy.

(And Ice Climbers too D: )

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Smash 4 isn't a proper sequel to Brawl, it took out all the advanced techniques like DACUS and many characters lost their chain grabs.
All you casual scum can keep playing the inferior Smash 4 while I play the mediocre mod best Smash game: Project B.

Disclaimer: This is a slight parody of a post I read on reddit a few years back and it is not meant to offend anyone.

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
"it took out all the advanced techniques like DACUS"

Smash4 has DACUS

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm super duper impressed how many people didn't get that Project: B was satire.

Like, it was bait, but such obvious funny bait, holy ****.

And Red Ryu is now my least favorite mod for having so little sense of humor he shut down a thread that had me waking up my roommate weeping with laughter.

GOOD JOB GUY! YA BLEW IT!

Edit: Unless his closing the thread was playing along in which case he's the ****ing king and my mind is destroyed. Jesus christ please let it be that one.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I'm super duper impressed how many people didn't get that Project: B was satire.

And Red Ryu is now my least favorite mod for having so little sense of humor he shut down a thread that had me waking up my roommate weeping with laughter.

Edit: Unless his closing the thread was playing along in which case he's the ****ing king and my mind is destroyed. Jesus christ please let it be that one.
Pretending that it wasn't satire and responding like it wasn't was funnier.

I was also half hoping all those ideas I put in would somehow actually result in it changing to something real for kicks, but it didn't work.

GeZ

Smash Lord

I was also half hoping all those ideas I put in would somehow actually result in it changing to something real for kicks, but it didn't work.
Well I saw that you were in on it. It was pretty funny though.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it would be hilarious instead of modding Smash4 to be played like Brawl, modding Melee to play like Brawl.

Hum............................

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Cause the dude was a troll and baiting other people into getting mad.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There's only so much bubble wrap you can slap onto the internet, man. If people are going to fall for something so obvious, you might as well ban sarcasm.
That doesn't make it right to start that in the first place.

It's clear disrespect.

GeZ

Smash Lord
That doesn't make it right to start that in the first place.

It's clear disrespect.
People are almost always going to be at odds. Trying to stop that is like trying to stop the tides. Sometimes you just have to let people learn, and not shut down the learning experience because they might not understand what's going on.

Mistakes are the best teacher, so removing the possibility to make them, in any capacity, is harmful.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
People are almost always going to be at odds. Trying to stop that is like trying to stop the tides. Sometimes you just have to let people learn, and not shut down the learning experience because they might not understand what's going on.

Mistakes are the best teacher, so removing the possibility to make them, in any capacity, is harmful.
I get this and to an extent agree, but it's gonna going to happen here and leaving that thread open had more harm than anything worthwhile.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I get this and to an extent agree, but it's gonna going to happen here and leaving that thread open had more harm than anything worthwhile.
In the end it's up to your jurisdiction anyway man. You guys don't seem to over-police really so you're doing fine.

ryuu seika

Smash Master

It's a shame, I would have loved to see a trollish reverse PM masterminded by ICG but I knew it was too good to be true.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
If it's ever going to happen it's not anytime soon. Probably a couple years. We may even have a new Smash game then.

Top Bottom