• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Progressive Metal

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
There was some discussion in other threads so I figured why not just make a thread for it. My favorites include Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Angra.

For Dream Theater, I would personally say each album of theirs gets better, but that's just me.

For Symphony X, I would say each album gets heavier.

For Angra, I would say Temple of Shadows was their best, and Aurora Consurgens comes in a close second.

Artwork wise, I would say Paradise Lost from SX and Temple of Shadows from Angra are my favorites.

Anyone recommend some good ones besides these three? I've heard of Ayreon, but I didn't have a chance to listen to any of their songs yet.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Definitely look into Ayreon. They are by far my favorite.

I recommend all of these:
Ayreon
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Devin Townsend and DT Band
Shadow Gallery (DEFINITELY A GREAT ONE)
Deadsoul Tribe (ANOTHER TOP BAND)
Opeth (****ation is best)
Star One

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Exovel man, you gotta stop rattling off bands. I keep thinking in my head, "Ok, I gotta download so and so bands, see how I like them." Then I come back here and you've presented more that I don't have. It's too much!

lol jk name moar plz.

I agree with you on Symphony X's progression. I can't wait for their next album. It not only means more music, but another tour!

In regards to artwork, I really like The Odyssey, and PL is a great album cover. Most of Dream Theater's artwork is pleasing, too.

Exovel

Smash Ace
What can I say... this is my thing. I listen to music non-stop all day. Just wait until I start on Progressive Rock. You haven't seen anything yet.

The order I have the bands listed above is the way I would recommend them, only with a few changes. Switch Deadsoul and Shadow Gallery, and then switch Star One and Opeth.

Opeth does too much growling for me. I'm not a growl fan at all. That's why I think D*mnation is such a great album. All of the magic of Opeth without the growling.

If you'd like I can name what I think is a good starter album for each... you know what, I just will.

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle (It's what I started with, but they are all great)
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Devin Townsend - Infinity
The Devin T. Band - Accelerated Evolution
Deadsoul Tribe - A Lullaby for the Devil
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Allen/Lande - The Battle
Star One - Space Metal
Opeth - D*mnation

There, that should keep you busy SX.

EDIT: Holy COW! I forgot Pain of Salvation! I'm not sure what album to recommend first though, I really had to let it grow on me over time.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow, no one mentioned King Crimson? Really? They started Progressive Rock.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I own every King Crimson album, so it's not a lack of familiarity. I was merely trying to stay on the topic of Prog Metal. If you want though, I can talk about KC for days.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands..

My 2 favorite CDs by DT are:
1. Scenes From A Memory
2. Images and Words

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I liked Octavarium and Systematic Chaos best, but Metropolis is still my favorite song (Dream Theater).

Exovel

Smash Ace
I'm out of town for three days, and this thread stops. How dissapointing.

Anyway, OwlFlavored, I saw in another thread that you were listening to Deadsoul Tribe. FANTASTIC! So, is that something that we mentioned here, or did you already like them? Also, what do you think of their self-titled album, since that's what you were listening to? I was thinking about picking that up, but I heard it wasn't nearly as good as the rest of their stuff.

Top Bottom