• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Progressing as a player

Koruo

Smash Rookie
Hello, SmashBoards!
My name is Miles and I live in a small town in North Carolina. I'm very new to this website, as well as Melee as a whole (I'm only 18 years old, got into Melee due to the release of Smash 4) and I picked up Melee about a week ago.
My tech skill is extremely good for a new player (at least I like to think). I'm a fox main (who isn't anymore) and I can multi-shine, waveshine, b-air out of shine and my L-cancels are usually really good, but the thing is is that after a week I don't see myself getting any better. Fighting A.I. is getting stale and there aren't many other Melee players around my town that play on a competitive level and I really want to get better which I feel is essential to progressing.
Any tips for a newbie on getting better as a whole?

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
@ Koruo Koruo

Encourage your friends to get into melee too, that's what I did.
Netplay is an option
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ These

Honestly I would try to get some of the people you play smash 4 with into Melee, that way you also have a human to practice tech skill with. If you have a computer that can handle it you might try the 20xx simulator? It's a mod for Melee that allows you to mess around with certain aspects of the game / force the cpu to do certain things. For example, you can make it always nair out of sheild if it takes shield damage, you can give both of you infinite shield and force the cpu to hold shield to practice spacing, you can turn on colored flashers to let you know if you've landed your L-cancels. The list is pretty endless. There's also a couple of good guides that explain the pros of using the program and how to use it most effectively.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
To add to the above responses, don't get discouraged because you're not seeing improvement after just a week of practice. It will take you months, if not years to get good, so practice hard and take it slow. Learn as much as you can, hit the lab when you can, and keep practicing. Many quit because they don't see improvement immediately, even after months. However, if you keep at it you'll be where you want to eventually.

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
Handicap mode & vs mode will keep you entertained for a while just play a lot and practice a lot, you'll see improvement if you focus hard for a few months.

Last edited:

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
That chin chin avatar tho. I have been playing since October and I have learned some great advice

1. Don't just spam tech skill, play smart.
Meaning punishing your opponent every possible time, look at their d.i. and how they handle your combos, and always go far the safest option in a close match

2.Always look at your opponents character and what the're doing

3. Never underestimate your opponent

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
That chin chin avatar tho. I have been playing since October and I have learned some great advice

1. Don't just spam tech skill, play smart.
Meaning punishing your opponent every possible time, look at their d.i. and how they handle your combos, and always go far the safest option in a close match

2.Always look at your opponents character and what the're doing

3. Never underestimate your opponent

1. So basically play serious and less showing off, i prefer showing off and being serious that's my cup of tea personally.

2. Good advice but i'm going to add a little to it, after you get a good understanding on how your opponent plays start trying to predict what they will do next and try to punish them.

3. Agreed, even a weaker opponent can wreck havoc if left alone for a while on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
1. So basically play serious and less showing off, i prefer showing off and being serious that's my cup of tea personally.

2. Good advice but i'm going to add a little to it, after you get a good understanding on how your opponent plays start trying to predict what they will do next and try to punish them.

3. Agreed, even a weaker opponent can wreck havoc if left alone for a while on the battlefield.
PLAY PEOPLE NOT COMPUTERS, I forgot to add that one

Gordon Freeman

Smash Rookie
If youre going to play against computers, having 3 ganondorfs on lvl 9 team up against you is surprisingly amazing practice. I would always try to have 3 of the same characters gang on you. it teaches you many things. Also if you can try to have your friends gang up on you as much as possible that sort of practice is invaluable and truly will help you get better.

Koruo

Smash Rookie
@ Koruo Koruo

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ These

Honestly I would try to get some of the people you play smash 4 with into Melee, that way you also have a human to practice tech skill with. If you have a computer that can handle it you might try the 20xx simulator? It's a mod for Melee that allows you to mess around with certain aspects of the game / force the cpu to do certain things. For example, you can make it always nair out of sheild if it takes shield damage, you can give both of you infinite shield and force the cpu to hold shield to practice spacing, you can turn on colored flashers to let you know if you've landed your L-cancels. The list is pretty endless. There's also a couple of good guides that explain the pros of using the program and how to use it most effectively.

Hope that helps!
I've downloaded 20XX already which is how I've progessed so quickly. But I'll definitely have to get my Smash 4 buds into Melee, tired of beating up CPUs all day. Also, I can't get netplay to work for some reason.

Top Bottom