• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with Dazzle

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Don't think this'll get a response, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, as the title reads, I recently recieved a Dazzle from a friend (free of charge). I tried recording matches to my computer hard drive, and it worked pretty well.

However, the videos are saved in a dvd format (.vob files), so I hunted down a converter that would change it to .avi, so it'd be compatible with Youtube.

However, after they converted and I watched them, the audio would desynch, and the quality of the match would sharply drop EXACTLY at 2:00 each and every time with each video I recorded. It is tolerable, but a nuisance. Not only that, but the video will slow down and speed up here and there (once or twice in 5 minutes).

Can anyone tell me:

1. Why the audio desynchs?
2. Why the video slows down/speeds up?
3. Is there anything I could do to fix it?

I'm thinking that the conversion to the .avi format is doing this, but I cannot say for sure, since I have no real way of re-watching the matches after they are put into .vob format.

If this does get a reply, I appreciate it.

G1G4 G0N0RRH34

Smash Journeyman
Brampton, ON, Canada Captain Falcon: Show me ya mo
it might have something to do with you converting the video
try avoiding .avi conversions
i had the same problems when i was converting video files
try using .mpeg or something that seems reliable.

if it does have something to do with the dazzle equipment you're using,
then there's really nothing i can tell you unfortunately. :(

Trillion

Smash Ace
I have a different version of a Dazzle* recorder. But sometimes during the recording process it will speed up and slow down parts or mess up the audio. It rarely happens, but when it does it seems to happen repeatedly without my noticing it. Usually an error eventually happens to tell me that they have been messed up. At that point it can usually be fixed by simply removing it from my usb port and also unplugging the power to the device and then plugging it back in and reconnecting it. So, this probably wouldn't help much if you are recording while you are playing, but if you are recording replays then you could record them and then check for an error and then record again if there was an error.

Mine records in a .mpg format and it is incredibly easy to use for video editing and posting to youtube. Most of the time i just record a match and later watch it and upload the file to youtube without even having to do any editing or formatting or whatever to it. (Sorry, I don't really speak very good technology language.) The quality isn't amazing, but it's really convenient. It's how I made my combo vid and all the other matches I posted. I don't know if you could still buy the model I have because I bought it awhile ago, but if you can, then it should be pretty inexpensive.
It looks like this:
http://images.ciao.com/ifr/images/products/normal/449/product-1021449.jpg
I'm not sure what model it is though, sorry.

I don't know if this would help you at all, but I hope it does somehow. We need more Sonic vids!

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
I think i know the cause of your problems

1) the audio may desync do to dropping of frames. Mine use to. Usually only if it drops the first frame, but sometimes others. Try checking on that.

2) It could speed up due to lose of frames as well. Slowing down...I'm not so sure.

3) I fixed my problems by getting a new computer. You may want to try cleaning yours. And I don't just mean literal cleaning (which you should do anyway) I mean getting rid of unnessacery files.

kthxbai

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
it might have something to do with you converting the video
try avoiding .avi conversions
i had the same problems when i was converting video files
try using .mpeg or something that seems reliable.

if it does have something to do with the dazzle equipment you're using,
then there's really nothing i can tell you unfortunately. :(
Then it'd be best for me to just convert them to .mpeg?
Do you know of anything besides Zamzar.com that could convert them without leaving a watermark or anything of the like?

This is my Dazzle device (it IS entirely possible that I purchased the wrong kind:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8853797&st=dazzle&type=product&id=1209166068373

How do you save it immediately as an .mpeg file?

I think i know the cause of your problems

1) the audio may desync do to dropping of frames. Mine use to. Usually only if it drops the first frame, but sometimes others. Try checking on that.

2) It could speed up due to lose of frames as well. Slowing down...I'm not so sure.

3) I fixed my problems by getting a new computer. You may want to try cleaning yours. And I don't just mean literal cleaning (which you should do anyway) I mean getting rid of unnessacery files.

kthxbai
I'll see what I can do about this.

-----

I have no way of viewing the .vob file after it has been saved, so I have no clue whether or not the quality of the .avi is due to the conversion, or if it is because the original .vob file recorded with the frame drops and desynchs.

I'll have to find out.

Thanks for the help, and anyone else's insight would definately be appreciated.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Mine saves in mpeg as it's default. I don't know how to switch the file type, I've never had a reason to. I'll look into it though and see if I can find a way. The problem is that even if I do, you have a different software package than I do so I even if I do find a way, I may not be able to help you fix yours.

My crewmate, Lutzburg, has the same dazzle that you have I think. He hasn't even been able to find something to convert the files. I believe the files are supposed to be DVD files that are supposed to be put onto a disc using the Dazzle software. Somewhere in the formatting of the disc it must put it into a file type that DVD players can read. The problem is that you basically end up with a DVD file that can't be edited. I'm not sure if the converter that you are using could do anything to the file.

I DO know this. I don't think the problem is due to frame dropping. The dazzle I have, which I assume is similar to yours, only records 30 frames per second, while Brawl plays at 60 frames per second. So there will inevitably be lost frames. Visual has nothing to do with audio either. For example, you could record with only the audio cable or you could record with only the video cable. The video data isn't at all disturbed just because no audio is recorded and the sound isn't disturbed when there is no video recorded. So, it wouldn't make sense to think that video frames affect sound data. The only correlation that I see between the two is that when one messes up the other does too because of the fact that the device itself messes up. I hope that makes sense.... If not I'll try to explain it differently.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Ok, I may be way off track with this but I have a theory. I believe that overall, both of our Dazzle devices are pretty much the same. I think that the main difference is the software that we use. I believe that if you used the same software as me, the software might still be able to access your dazzle model. If it can, then it would record in mpeg format I believe. So, I'm not sure how to help you get the same software as I have, but I know that it is called Dazzle Movie Star Digital Video Creator Version 4.22 My college has torrents blocked, so I can't download any and check, but I would bet that you could find one or you may be able to find a zip file or something somewhere on the internet. Heck, you can find almost anything on the net.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ok, I may be way off track with this but I have a theory. I believe that overall, both of our Dazzle devices are pretty much the same. I think that the main difference is the software that we use. I believe that if you used the same software as me, the software might still be able to access your dazzle model. If it can, then it would record in mpeg format I believe. So, I'm not sure how to help you get the same software as I have, but I know that it is called Dazzle Movie Star Digital Video Creator Version 4.22 My college has torrents blocked, so I can't download any and check, but I would bet that you could find one or you may be able to find a zip file or something somewhere on the internet. Heck, you can find almost anything on the net.
The program included in my Dazzle's package was "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder".

Is it possible to just capture the video using the hardware, but with different software?

Trillion

Smash Ace
The program included in my Dazzle's package was "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder".

Is it possible to just capture the video using the hardware, but with different software?

That was exactly what I was meaning to suggest. I'm not sure if it's possible or not. But i believe that it should be. The hardware might be similar enough that if you download the software that I have, that the software could access your model of dazzle and record it in mpeg format. The software I have is called Dazzle Movie Star Digital Video Creator Version 4.22 if you want to give that a try. You would have to find a place to download it though.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think I'm starting to buy into the reason that it's the framerate that the software records the video into.

So far the only other program I've honestly tried is Movie Maker (ha), but it DID manage to record the video at high quality and save it as an .avi, but the framerate made the movements of the characters strange.

The Pinnacle program that comes with the Dazzle I have records in 60 fps, but it jumps around alot when I convert it to .avi, which may explain the slowdowns and when it speeds up at certain points in the video.

Is there any software than can record at 60fps AND saves the video in .avi format?

Trillion

Smash Ace
So movie maker was able to make your dazzle work? That's interesting, I'll have to have my friend give it a try. I don't know what else to tell ya, keep us posted on how its coming. Maybe we can figure something out.

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
You may want to try...VirtualDUB?

It won't record the audio for me, but if it doesn't for you can record a song to put over a match, or re-record the match with something else and use virtualDUB to save it as a .wav file to add to the audio-less one.

dela

Smash Cadet
VirtualDUB is a very good video cap program. I used to use it all the time to capture Halo footage.

Also, if you want to view .vob files, use VLC Media Player.

You can just...acquire a video converter, unless that's against your morals.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm using virtual dub, and although it's definately more convenient and nice with saving as avis, I'm still having that framedrop issue.

I have no idea how VDub works, can anyone help me figure out why my videos slow down and speed up at random times after the recording is done?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Well I'm missing out on some things by not reading the guide, but lemme see if I'm right so far just by assuming everything after reading your latest post:
-Your using a dazzle device
-Encoding with vdub
-Your recording the audio through the dazzle device
-Your encoding to a divx codec

I used to own a Dazzle encoder (and had a friend who had like 3 of them), and I'm very dissatisfied with them. While I was able to make some use of it, I got some of the problems you had often. While it could just be the performance of your computer, it probably isn't. With my dazzle I just used Windows Media Encoder to record the video ONLY, and if I wanted audio run it in separately to the line in or microphone port on my computer. WME will record both at the same time in the same file. This always had 0 syncing issues, and always produced the best quality.

Top Bottom