• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with approaching(let's find a solution for this big problem)

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
I really like to play with DK ,but I have some problems with approaching someone,It's easy to get punished when your miss something,I tried to use bair,down B,f tilt but it doen't work very well.How can I beat a defensive opponent with a projectile?

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
i've had the same problems approaching wolf, snake, and falco. try using a grounded spinning kong to approach, the SA in the first few frames helps beat projectiles that an f-tilt is too slow for.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
If you cant get past the campers, then just counter pick the stage. Dont have a flat stage, and make sure you have platforms to get to them. Also a counter pick stage such as rainbow cruise will do well, since they cant stay in one spot for long.

trafficwarden99

Smash Journeyman
Ha I just fought a T. Link at the FFA tourney Sunday.
I think I did okay for my first time fighting one.

But then the 3D and ROB in brackets were weird. I had no idea how to approach them.
Need 3D and ROB help. :/

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
did all the toon link do is camp? because im just refering to one on FD that will just throw projecitles and run away the whole time

thats a pain to get through...

trafficwarden99

Smash Journeyman
LoL yep. And he had all his friends coaching him to "keep camping." I think on FD is the one I lost. So TL messed up my perfect bracket to 8-1!!! LAME.
Power shielding worked for a while but it got boring.
Luckily he did go aerial when I got close.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
oh wait so you were at family fun arcade? whats your tag? you play DK to? is he your main

I didnt go, but I know alot of players that were there and am a Socal dk to

trafficwarden99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the Family Fun Arcade was my first brawl tourny since the first week brawl came out. Well on brackets I go by Dangerous Person but I usually make random tags when I play matches.
And yep my main is D.K.
LoL my secondary is Ganon but I think I need to change that.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, how about roll roll roll and roll some more until your in grab range, grab them, to any number of possibilities. dthrow to ftilt to dash or another grab, but your gonna wanna keep them close. cargo to uthrow to uair/aerial attacks, cargo to dthrow and double bair. i think incorporating grabs more while fighting the campier characters might help. then again, lots of rolling is easily punished.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link arrow and boomerangs can be Ftilt and Bair cancelled, so normal approach of Ftilt and Bair works fine. It's just the bomb you have to watch out for. You can airdodge catch it, shield, or roll. Just be careful about rolling towards because TL will be on top of you after he throws a bomb.

DDD Waddle Dess can be blocked the same way. Just Bair and kick them away. Be careful not to Bair near the ground near him, or you risk shield grab, and we all konw what happens then. UpB is a nice approach on him when you get close, he won't be able to shield the whole thing, and you can rack up 15-20% easily at early %.

Against ROB you're just going to have to get good at predicting then blocking/dodging the laser and gyro.

trafficwarden99

Smash Journeyman
Coolness.
I was noticing my forward tilt can be shield grabbed even when I spaced it.
I think I just need more practice in some of these matchups.

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
Coolness.
I was noticing my forward tilt can be shield grabbed even when I spaced it.
I think I just need more practice in some of these matchups.
when a play against sheik,my friends grab me in anything that I do :dizzy:
hey guys,the double bair that your're talking about,is in a full hop right?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Toon Link arrow and boomerangs can be Ftilt and Bair cancelled, so normal approach of Ftilt and Bair works fine. It's just the bomb you have to watch out for. You can airdodge catch it, shield, or roll. Just be careful about rolling towards because TL will be on top of you after he throws a bomb.

DDD Waddle Dess can be blocked the same way. Just Bair and kick them away. Be careful not to Bair near the ground near him, or you risk shield grab, and we all konw what happens then. UpB is a nice approach on him when you get close, he won't be able to shield the whole thing, and you can rack up 15-20% easily at early %.

Against ROB you're just going to have to get good at predicting then blocking/dodging the laser and gyro.
nice yeah I didnt have any experience vs toon link yet so thats great and is alot easier to deal with than I thought.

yeah ftilt and dash attack also stop waddles woot

I gotta start using Up b on shields ( I never do) more it is pretty **** isnt it

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
With UpB, get good at using it from a dash to ensure the maximum amount of hits and distance. The way I do it is do a quarter circle from forward to up and hit B. If you do it too slow, DK skids and you don't get the same momentum.

Afterwards I find Ftilt and Dsmash work very well, as does shield and grab if they have a quick aerial.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Ftilt and even Bair are shield grabable by some characters. Against TL both can be grabbed fairly easy. Always mix up your Bair game with stuff like SH Bair, >B and SH Bair, punch. Also, DK can DI over a lot of smaller characters after SH Bair to avoid shieldgrab.

Top Bottom