• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with Stage Teching

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Started to get better at Melee even more and got to teching on the stage to survive a spike or, say, Marth's D-tilt which saves my life. The problem that I have is that when I go to press R, my friend would sometimes not poke me, and I would instead air dodge to my death.

When I am going for a tech, should I do something like an attack that initiates the tech without it air dodging? What could I do?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Usually you input the L or R press when you're in the animation for another move, typically your up b if you are recovering to ledge. What character do you play?

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Jiggs. I think I should go to tech during a rising pound or rising bair/fair depending on which direction I'm facing. Often times, my back is turned to the stage because I like to use Up-B (sing) to neutral direction grab the ledge (that's what I call when you grab the ledge regardless what direction you face by the way).

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
If you're worried about air dodging as jiggs at the ledge, push the control stick up while you're teching so you either tech wall jump or air dodge straight up so you can drift to the stage

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm not really a Puff expert but I'd assume you generally want to focus on avoiding the moves all together rather than teching, though you should be able to input an L/R press during a pound or aerial without risking an airdodge

Top Bottom