• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with Short Hopping

KingAce

Smash Ace
I've read that you tap y or x to short hop and fast fall with an attack. Some others may use the control stick to short hop. However, I can't seem to consistently do it.. I can maybe do it 1/15 times in practice and thats obviously not gonna get me anywhere. I've been trying at this for about 30 minutes now and haven't gotten too much better. Any tips on how I can pull this off more consistently?:p

Leth

Smash Rookie
Try sliding your finger across the x button sideways. Failing that, use Z for jump ('s what I do~).

KingAce

Smash Ace
Yeah I tried using X, I just simly cant use x for a jump button, doesn't feel natural. How does M2k, pc chris, and ken all do it so consistently... they do it like 99% of the time when they want =/

Mann

Smash Ace
When they say tap it, they don't mean press the jump button all the way.

When they say flick it, they don't mean to press it up all the way.

Those are the problems I believe you are having.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Ok thanks, but out of curiosity if I told you to short hop 20 times how many times you think you would be able to pull it off successfully?

Mann

Smash Ace
Ok thanks, but out of curiosity if I told you to short hop 20 times how many times you think you would be able to pull it off successfully?
All 20. To be honest, I have a hard time full jumping when I want to during gameplay because of muscle memory. If I tried short hopping in Melee now, maybe 15/20 because of the sensitivity I'm used to now.

If you really want to practice short hopping, try it in Melee if you have the game. Brawl just made it easier.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Ok thanks, that makes me think that perfect practice makes perfect =P. Anyways, do you guys use the y/x button to jump instead of using the control stick all the time? **** I got some bad habits if thats the case.... just started playing brawl competitively but I somehow think I fluked out of the qualifying rounds for eb games canadian tournament.... heh

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Also note that certain characters have a larger window to SH then others. You want to release the button before you finish the jumping animation.

To get really good at it, practice SHing with Fox in melee. Since he has the smallest SH window, you'll eventually learn to do it really quickly, making all others easy.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
Also note that certain characters have a larger window to SH then others. You want to release the button before you finish the jumping animation.

To get really good at it, practice SHing with Fox in melee. Since he has the smallest SH window, you'll eventually learn to do it really quickly, making all others easy.
Agreed. KingAce, I'll just stress the word "release," because it's not the strength you use to press the button, but how quickly you release the button that matters.

By the way, I'm pretty sure if you asked most people they'd tell you that using the control stick for jumping is unusual. But I do know people who use it. A rule of thumb that almost always works is that if it works for you, go for it. Personally I prefer the Y button just because I like its position on the controller. Again, though, you should use whatever's comfortable for you.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i too have trouble full jumping.
short hopping is easy, just keep practicing.

think of pressing it lighter and faster.
and if it helps, try pressing x/y then A directly after, it might help you get off of x/y faster.

edit: use x/y, not the control stick. pressing up on the control stick limits the mobility/horizontal distance of your jumps.

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
I find that just pressing the corner of the button and sliding it off helps.

You can also just do an extremely fast tap but that may be slightly harder.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I had trouble when i first started tryin too. It just comes to you eventually. Now I can do it nearly every time. Keep working at it.

D

Deleted member

Yea might take a few days. Dont give up. Yes sliding ur finger across x is what i do. Pretty much all competative players can do it 99% of the time, u will too, just keep at it.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
For some reason, every game I find ways of avoiding mastering this.

As Peach all I had to do was hold down and I'd float the jump, and then go onto floatcancel into her aerials etc. Never had to shorthop.

This game I play ZSS, and she really doesn't have a shorthop.

However, as has been said, it's how fast you release the button. Kind of how in the old Mario games you'd jump higher if you held the button longer, but the difference in timing is much smaller here. It's just practice.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Tap and release, don't lollygag with your thumb still pressed on the button.

You must take off your thumb from the Y button before your character leaves the ground. This is much harder with fast characters, since their initial jump lag is only a few frames long. Try releasing the button quickly with someone like Bowser, and you'll be shorthopping very easily.

It's not how fast you press the button, but how fast you can take your thumb off to make a shorthop.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I use to have the same problem with Sheik back in Melee and I found two ways to make it easier

1. Practice everyday for 10 to 20 minutes (usually while practicing other tech so I wouldn’t get bored, muscle memory FTW.)

2. Growing out my thumb nail so I could just tap it with that instead of using my whole thumb, surprisingly this was very effective for me.

Of course neither of theses is needed now since short hoping in general has been made extremely easy on all characters except maybe for Fox but maybe for someone who is just learning the game my advise can be used.

Hope this helps.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
All 20. To be honest, I have a hard time full jumping when I want to during gameplay because of muscle memory. If I tried short hopping in Melee now, maybe 15/20 because of the sensitivity I'm used to now.

If you really want to practice short hopping, try it in Melee if you have the game. Brawl just made it easier.
yeah, I SH a rediculous amount as Tlink so when I use samus and dthrow+full jump uair i short hop most of the time haha.. and yea OP, just practice, and use a button not tap jump

XienZo

Smash Lord
Actually, I found a really easy way to SH but you must use an aerial I believe. Its probably new to Brawl and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but if you jump with the control stick and simultaneously hit the c-stick to whatever aerial you want to use, 99% of the time you will shorthop and immediately use that aerial. For me, I can now do lucario's dair a foot off the ground where before I could only short hop on training mode at 1/4 speed. Maybe its just my controller or something, but yeah, I never saw this mentioned anywhere.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
This might just be me but what I do is quickly hit X, I don't really slide my finger its just a very quick press. Don't worry though we all had trouble getting it down at first constantly, what is weird though is now I find it hard to do a normal jump since I SH to much haha.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I just press X or Y really fast, I forget which one I use. Ever since I discovered that it existed in Melee I had no trouble doing it, the same applies to Brawl. Just tap the button. Nothing more.

That said, short hops are so high in Brawl you practically dont need anything else so learn them and practice so you can do it consistantly, since a full jump is often a bit more situational.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
The only time I have trouble is online during a laggy match. My muscle memory works with the visual input I see on screen, and so my finger lingers on jump longer because my character hasn't actually started moving yet.

It really isn't that hard, otherwise. Just tap it.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I had a hard time SH'ing in melee with people like fox but in this game its waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier I now have to hold jump down to full hop since everytime I tap it I end up short hopping.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it how it can be hard to do, I've done it naturally (fastfall too) since Melee without even hearing about them.
Quick press - Done.

Top Bottom