• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with Marth’s retreating f-airs

MCMike

Smash Rookie
When i play with a marth he ALWAYS do retreating f-airs. Any advice on how to beat those? He can use 2 retreating f-airs before he land on the ground.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
He can't retreat forever, let him keep back up while staying fairly close. Hope I could be of help to you, but you should probably get advice from somebody with experience in this matchup.

MCMike

Smash Rookie
well he stayed more of 2 MINS !! in a platform waiting for an approach

Berserk SSBM

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, the way to beat a character like Marth that can wall out the Climbers so effectively is through movement. If you mix up your movement the Marth won't know when you're approaching and when you're just pretending to approach. You can do all of these by changing the lengths of your wavedashes, doing fast & far wavelands across platforms/the level, using dash dance, etc. If you move predictably, then your approaches are predictable. But if you're unpredictable and the Marth gets scared or you get a reaction from the Marth, then you can react appropriately. If you don't think the Marth is being tight in their timing on the retreating f-airs, you can try to slip in with a fast smash attack, a tilt, or even a jab as they're falling back toward the ground and you expect there to be some landing lag. This is where being able to do max-distance wavedashes and wavelands comes very in handy.

If the Marth is camping platforms, one advantage you have is your projectiles. Marth doesn't have a projectile of his own, which means you can put on a little bit of pressure from across the stage, which might incite the Marth to approach. Another good way to put on some pressure vs a campy Marth is to use desyncs in a way that Marth cannot cover entirely. This could be something like a Nanapult to the platform with Popo following closely behind with a short-hop up-air. It's good to remember that Marth has a hard time dealing with Blizzard. Ultimately, though, I don't think Ice Climbers have a direct way to contest retreating short-hop double f-airs. So, you're gonna have to get creative to beat the Marth and that creativity is likely going to come in the form of really getting slippery with your movement and approaches.

If you want some sets to watch, I'd recommend you watch any Wobbles vs. Arc sets. Arc isn't a campy marth, but Wobbles does an amazing job showing off the kind of approach/movement mixups I've been talking about this entire time. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom