• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with jumping and pillaring

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
I'm learning how to do an L canceled attack into a shine, then jump up after my opponent and Dair them. Everything until the shine goes fine. But the jumping up after them is the hard part. I already figured out that the reason I sometimes mess up is because I always spam down-B when trying to shine instead of only pressing it once. This caused me to get stuck in shine lag, so it took too long to jump. I've gotten pretty good at forcing myself to only press down-B once, but now I have another problem. After I shine, I don't know whether to jump once or spam the Y button. Spamming Y right after I shine makes it easier to time and creates a double jump which seems to give me more horizontal movement; this helps me do a follow up attack if the opponent drifts to the side. But other people seem to just press Y once to do one long jump into a Dair. What is the proper way to jump while practicing shining into an attack, and do you mash Y or keep calm and press it once? Thanks!

Last edited:

Dubs_

Smash Rookie
Melee is all about being precise in your inputs. Only press each input once, and you'll get the hang of the timing in no time :).

Top Bottom