• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with for glory noobs

1FC0

Smash Lord
Take the pikachu spamming thunder example. Imagine you have a solid player with multiple tournament wins under his belt. This player faces a random for glory player who knows little about smash and has never used pikachu in his life. He doesn't know much about the game, but he knows through experience that thunder is a good move, so he decides to spam it.
Even in this example Pikachu won because he was good in that matchup and not because he was bad.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Well OP says that he loses to people because they suck but I think that even if you lose to someone because he has a good matchups or counterpick even though you are better then you still did not lose because he sucks.

MaXtream

Smash Rookie
I don't think the situations your describing are that difficult to deal with. Perhaps frustrating at times. If megaman was as good as you imply he'd win every tournament.

I play kirby, he has no projectiles, terrible air speed, and slower ground speed than megaman. How do I approach a good megaman player? I don't rush in and try to approach. I sit back and defend and shield until he makes a mistake or I see an opening that I can exploit.
The main problem with that was, since all of Megamans projectiles are multi-hit, they would wear away my shield quickly, even if I perfect shielded the attack, the other hits would get me, on top of that, whenever I would put my shield up, he would Leaf Shield, so My PK Fire wouldn't hurt him if I got close enough for that, and I could never get close enough for any long range attacks to hurt him, most of his damage came from Crash Bombing me, then Grabbing me, because the crash bomb would transfer to him, but I was never fast enough as any of my characters to capatalize on that

Kous

Smash Rookie
Well OP says that he loses to people because they suck but I think that even if you lose to someone because he has a good matchups or counterpick even though you are better then you still did not lose because he sucks.
I think we can all agree, that the OP's statement was more black and white than losing really is. I'd say, losing to someone with a "unorthodox" doesn't mean they suck, but a number of factors go into losing. Especially if your facing a camper, its not fun. And i find myself getting irritated and just running at them just for something to happen. Are they better than me? In this instance, Yes. In a perfect world, where someone resorts to camping/projectiles/spam throws/running vs. someone who actually fights, chances are the fighter will win because he knows more about fightning.

But I think the main difference between the viewpoints in this thread comes down to what you play smash for? To win? To have fun? or both? A camper may be having fun, but the person fighting them is bored out of their mind and getting irritated. At this point, rational thought is gone, and the urge to fight takes over. Camping wins in that scenario. For me, Smash is about having fun, so is the OP right to say his opponents suck? No, but I think the OP would be right in saying the said camper is ruining the game for players, and fun outweights winning (especially when nothing is on the line)

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree, that the OP's statement was more black and white than losing really is. I'd say, losing to someone with a "unorthodox" doesn't mean they suck, but a number of factors go into losing. Especially if your facing a camper, its not fun. And i find myself getting irritated and just running at them just for something to happen. Are they better than me? In this instance, Yes. In a perfect world, where someone resorts to camping/projectiles/spam throws/running vs. someone who actually fights, chances are the fighter will win because he knows more about fightning.

But I think the main difference between the viewpoints in this thread comes down to what you play smash for? To win? To have fun? or both? A camper may be having fun, but the person fighting them is bored out of their mind and getting irritated. At this point, rational thought is gone, and the urge to fight takes over. Camping wins in that scenario. For me, Smash is about having fun, so is the OP right to say his opponents suck? No, but I think the OP would be right in saying the said camper is ruining the game for players, and fun outweights winning (especially when nothing is on the line)
I like playing campers though. So even that is subjective. But I agree that many people probably hate it.

But even so you can not really ruin the game. A good competitive game has no strategy that is both borjng and effective. If 2 good players play to win and the game becomes borjng then it is the game's fault for not being suited well enough for competitive play meaning the game was already broken (from a competitive point of view) to begin with.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Okay I think this should be closed now, I didn't expect these arguements, but rather adivce (Which I DID still get)

MaXtream

Smash Rookie
I like playing campers though. So even that is subjective. But I agree that many people probably hate it.

But even so you can not really ruin the game. A good competitive game has no strategy that is both borjng and effective. If 2 good players play to win and the game becomes borjng then it is the game's fault for not being suited well enough for competitive play meaning the game was already broken (from a competitive point of view) to begin with.
OK, you like playing campers, but you are one in a million, most people cannot stand them, and they do ruin the game for some people, on top of that, I've noticed that LVL9 CPUs learn the strategies from your online data, so now, if you stop playing online for a while, you play against a CPU Megaman, who will spam with such frame perfect timeing, that there is no way to get close to them, or if you play against a CPU Yoshi who stays near the edge blocking all of your projectiles and Egg Laying you off the edge and then the game itself is legitemately ruined because you cannot win unless you reset the game's data

Top Bottom