• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with Encore USB Video Grabber

Dcold

Smash Lord
I bought said product a couple days ago and received it today in the mail. After installing everything, and resetting my computer I went to use it. I use VirtualDub to do my recording and it worked perfectly fine with my Dazzle. But now when I use this, it looks fine while capturing, but I notice the Frames Dropped and Frames Inserted numbers go amazingly high, and over the overall frames captured. At the end, the video ends up coming out like this. Has anyone ever had this problem, or know how to fix this? I've tried resetting my computer again, and it hasn't worked. Don't really know what to do at this point, so, can anyone help?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
That looks like an unsupported resolution, so I have no idea why it looks fine in the preview... But you could try different resolutions anyway.
I think if you check video\preview, then it will actually show what is being recorded, instead of overlay which does... um... something else =).

Dcold

Smash Lord
That looks like an unsupported resolution, so I have no idea why it looks fine in the preview... But you could try different resolutions anyway.
I think if you check video\preview, then it will actually show what is being recorded, instead of overlay which does... um... something else =).
How do I try different resolutions? :X

And the preview video thing actually worked in a test video, but gotta see how it works on a match now.

Dcold

Smash Lord
It doesn't allow me to change to any other resolution though, I don't understand why it only lets me record 720x480, and nothing lower than that it seems. :/

Also half the time I try to Stop Capture, VirtualDub freezes and doesn't completely save the video so I can't even watch it.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Avi files not saved properly can be easily saved by just opening them with VirtualDub and saving into a new file. Also, in the "extended options" when opening a file, you can choose to re-index the file (re-derive keyframes IIRC), which is highly recommended.

But these problems are just the reason I don't like capturing via USB. 720x480 at 30fps just barely fits into the usable bandwidth of USB 2.0 without compression, so every small disturbance will have severe consequences. Maybe you should just use whatever program that came with it instead of VirtualDub?

Dcold

Smash Lord
Well thanks you what you said it's working fine now it seems O_o.

This should be the last question, do you know any way to significantly reduce the amount of inserted frames?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Capture \ timing
You should see some framedrop/insert options there. You can only change what VirtualDub does, not how your capture device behaves. Like I said, USB is just barely fast enough for uncompressed video, you shouldn't expect it to work well.

It's difficult to say what settings work best. If your capture device driver drops a frame but lets the audio go on, they will go out of sync if you don't allow VirtualDub to insert a frame there. If you set "sync audio to video", your audio pitch might go up and down and sound weird if you drop lots of frames and VirtualDub tries to speed up/down the audio. There's no perfect setting, you just have to figure out what every setting does and what works best for you.

Top Bottom