• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Probably asking this in the wrong forum but... Help?

Unassisted Superplay

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Hi everyone,

I've been playing Smash Bros. for years, but I now want to start learning about and eventually moving into the competitive scene. The problem is, I have no idea where to begin. I've got wave dashing, L-cancelling, etc. down, but aside from that I don't know how to improve my skill level further and where to go to get into the competitive scene.

I wish I could make this a more specific question, but I don't really know how to specify it any more. I'm basically looking to play at the next level in Smash Bros, but have no idea where to begin.

Thanks for any help in advance, and my apologies as this post is probably in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where to post it.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
you should learn the fundamentals if you haven't already. spacing, zoning, tech chasing, baits, reads, DI/SDI, etcetcetc. then you'll want to learn character specific ATs and mindgaming in general. mindgaming is pretty much the final step for reasons that are self evident, but you can't have those without strong fundamentals. hope this helps you and good luck.

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice
I would suggest that you start attending tournaments or weeklies and play other players that are just as or more skillful than you. I wouldn't recommend Wi-Fi, and I'm pretty sure majority of the community would agree with me due to lag and what not. Wi-Fi is ending on May 20th anyway so you're pretty much forced to if you want competition. Netplay being an alternative but yeah,

Experience and MU knowledge is what will take you to the next level, along with fundamentals and tech skill. The best place to develop those things are, as I said earlier, attend tournaments and or weeklies. I attended my first tournament back in January and now I've attend 2 total so far, with one coming up this Saturday. I feel that I've improved but I still have a lot to learn. I hope this was helpful

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
IMO tech skill is the first thing you should work on. It should be rather decent, but not exactly top player worthy. For example, you should know how to wavedash, lcancel, short hop, waveledge, use both survival and combo DI consistently. Some characters are more technical than others. For example, if you play spacies you should know how to waveshine, SHFFL, and SHDL (easier in PM) consistently. If you play Yoshi or Ness, you should know how to DJC all of your aerials. True spacing, zoning, and everything else chaos said above are good to learn, but if you try to do that, but you cant wavedash or lcancel... its kinda useless and you wont really get any better w/o proper tech skill.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yeah, make sure you know all the ins and outs of specific character mechanics
If you main Tink then you should master bomb tossing
If you main Mewtwo, you should master controlling the teleport for followups
If you main Ike, you should be extremely talented in poppin' nooches.

In all serious. I advise you just get shffl down it's the first really "tricky" mechanic and pivotal for good offense for some characters.

Top Bottom