• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Sports Style Tournament Signups!!!

Foe

Smash Journeyman
There are many tactical aspects of pro-sports that I love and I’ve put together a tournament that I think would be a lot of fun for all the participants and an excellent challenge for four people, who will act as leaders of four teams (if you’re bored of the usual tournaments/games over and over, this is a tactical challenge you would love). As an added bonus, I expect it would also be more interesting for all the non-participants to observe than any tourney I have yet seen. This is a unique idea I have not seen yet.

Basic Idea:

Here’s how it would work, in a nutshell: There will be four teams (each with a leader) made up of everyone that wants to be a part of this. The teams will be decided in schoolyard pick ‘em fashion, with the leaders alternating turns choosing players. Then before the game play begins, those leaders will have the opportunity to make trades (like in pro-sports) to make an all-around better team. This is necessary because the competition will require skill in different kinds of games. Once the trading is over, there will be two match-ups, with the first and second team playing each other and the third and fourth team playing each other. The two teams that are beaten in the first round will be eliminated. Then the finalists will play.

The Format:
After the teams are chosen and rosters are finalized each captain now has the tactical part of his job. He will divide his team in to three possibly 4 (if subs) groups. The groups are Items ON[Settings will be discussed](Singles), Items OFF (Singles), and Doubles (Items off but Team healer, can be discussed.) Now after your captain has done that he now must order players. Ex:

Singles Items OFF:
1. Bob.
2. Jim.
3. Billy.
4. Falcon.
5. Punch.

The captain can place people in any order. You may think this is just like random but this first will stop people from thinking I cheated when placing brackets and makes it more fun IMO. Then each player(s) play. When you lose you are out for the round. This is last man standing. When one team is down to it's last four players the only style they play is Items OFF. You want to choose someone who will be able to beast through many people. Ex. You want to choose M2k not only because he is good but because he can be your last player and maybe even beat the whole team by himself.

Challenges:
Before each round you can challenge players to play the next round. The challenge must be accepted by both captains and players. If one player does not post but the captains accept the challenge will be accepted.

The Styles in Depth:

There will be one set of rules for stages that every category will follow. It is TBD.

Items OFF: Competitive style. What most players here are used too. 3 stock, 9 minute limit, no items, random stage unless both agreed.

Doubles: As above but raised to 10 minute and team healer is on.

Items ON: Casual style. All items on, all items on medium. (If enough requests from the casual crowd I will make a list of banned items like hammers and some may be called cheap.) This is 4 stock. I am making it one more stock from Items Off because if there is one person who gets uber lucky on one life hopfully this gives enough lives to shake it off and not cost you the match. Please note I really do not care if you are lucky or not. If you play in this section, no johns.

Captains:

Time for captains. You must PM and Post the application for applying. What is needed:

Name:
Region:
Style Mostly Played/Enjoyed:
Past Experience With Tournaments:
Reason You Want to be/Reason I should let you:
Hours on a day(Smash and forums):
Usual times on with timezone:

You will need to be able to hold your ground with the best. I will only choose people I know are able to hold their ground. I will try to choose not only great competitive players but casual too so that everyone is well represented. If you post his also post application for regular signup as I may not choose you.

Extra, Extra!

Prizes: Not determined. As I cannot give money to every single person for winning a single match it will work like this. Each match you win is 3$$. You only get the money if you win 3 matches. You lose the money if you win 1 lose one or win 2 lose one. I do this so I don't hand out money to every person who wins one single game. The winning captain of final round will receive an extra 10 or 20$$.

I also need a MODERATOR to help me out. You will be able to play and even possibly be captain but I need you too help patrol spam and also be judge on some smaller things. Most bigger arguments will be solved by a PM to the captains and will be discussed. The size is 64 people and then will extend to 80 if need be. If we only get 73 then 65-73 will be cut, sorry.

All rounds have a week period to get your game in. This is what is unique. This is not a one day tournament. This could take a month or even two. You need to be ready for a long but fun ride.

Format is

Name:
Style Preferred:
Profile: (Youtube page, match link, quote, anything to show who you are as there are 4 captains and 60 of you. )

[If you do a bad a format you will not get signed up, no warnings. You will need to repost and not edit. as I may skip over.]
Be prepared to play all 3 styles and not a specific one. This is unique, fun and interesting tournament. This will be very epic when done and you will not be sorry when this is finished. This is where some new talents may be discovered and casuals and competitives work together as one. LET THE SIGNUPS FOR THIS HISTORY MAKING TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a good idea, but I feel it is too involved. It's going to run extremely slowly, with so many people, especially considering people have tendencies to not play their games.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a good idea, but I feel it is too involved. It's going to run extremely slowly, with so many people, especially considering people have tendencies to not play their games.
It really won't seem that slow because there will be like 5+ games a day. Unless you think that's slow...then yeah. I'd rather have it going at that pace then trying to get tons of games in a weekend. This also makes it so if you cant play one day you have options. It'd be very hard too have 64+ matches (2 rounds) in 2 days and get all rosters and veerything without having people having to go and stuff. People who do not play their game in a week get dqed. You don't need to worry only if you are playing them.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Well, I must've read it wrong. In any case, good luck finding so many people, and even more luck maintaining them.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
Haha and that's why I want a mod to help me out^^. :p Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Top Bottom